Any way to salvage this lamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes fluorescent D2 bulb but the variable power ballast is no longer able to light up the bulb. I have tried new bulb but it just keeps on blinking. Googling the ballast and looking at ebay/amazon, I could not find a replacement. If I could put a regular socket there, I can reuse this one rather than throwing it out. I had another one which went bad many years ago and I tried to disassemble it but could not get to the innards.

24417295269_9a683890ce_c.jpg

24158101913_bdd0a0d648_c.jpg

Sure...simply rewire the whole thing with an incandescent base. That fixture does come apart. There should be a nut underneath on the base.

Last edited:
Just take it apart and put an incandescent base in. Then you can use a good LED bulb in there.

And while you're at it, clean the dead bugs and bug droppings out.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Sure...simply rewire the whole thing with an incandescent base. That fixture does come apart. There should be a nut underneath on the base.

OP, remember something may be glued there before you get to the nut/screws.
than it's layers...

P.S. It is just me or OP has discovered a passion for DIY/fixing things around the house?
(good for you... never stop learning)

Here is a diagram and part number from Wentai lighting in Taiwan. I would send them an email to see if you can order one from them. I could not get their link to post, but here is the info. You are asking about the WTEB series lighting. Pictures including ballast look like what you have. I found the picture from my initial search, and then clicked on the picture. It took me to Wentai lighting website.

WENTAI TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION
Address: 6F-3,NO.123,LANE 235, Pao-chiao Rd., Shintien city, Taipei, Taiwan
Taiwan office : Tel: +886 –2-89192318 Fax: +886-2-89192320
E-mail : [email protected]

Yes, the Wentai diagram clearly shows that. It appears the ballast may be affixed with either a push-on or lock nut device. I would see if I can loosen the parts below the lamp shade to see if either screw off.

I've retrofit my similar torchiere lamps with conventional sockets and LED bulbs laid on their side. Works perfectly.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I was so expecting to see this when I saw the thread title:

break-lamp.jpg

LOL!

The ballast has the 4 pin socket for the bulb.

If I can just junk all that and get the regular lamp socket E27 there, then I have lots and lots of options. I can put 1x3 or 1x4 socket and have 3 or 4 LED 10W bulbs which will be like sunlight in the room.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The ballast has the 4 pin socket for the bulb.

If I can just junk all that and get the regular lamp socket E27 there, then I have lots and lots of options. I can put 1x3 or 1x4 socket and have 3 or 4 LED 10W bulbs which will be like sunlight in the room.

remember, some LED need some space to dissipate heat (or some type of radiator/fins)

Now that I have butchered it completely, where do I find a socket which can screw on on the stem?

By the way, ballast had five wires, two coming directly from the wall (black and white) and the three from the small potentiometer. That pot is NOT carrying full power and most likely used as a control to the ballast. So I can not use as a switch or dimmer after hacking the lamp.

I have no idea how they assemble this at factory, but disassembly is pretty much one way only. I can't see how anybody would ever be able to put back the dimmer switch. I will get shiny duct tape and patch that hole and put an inline switch or use switched wall plug or better find switched socket.

Does this socket screw in the lamp?
234674_front500.jpg

24489971469_d89e5d745f_b.jpg

Yes, it should. And you fish the two wires up to the connecting screws inside the lamp socket. Probably a sliver screw and a brass one. Brass is the hot wire and silver is for the neutral. Or the hot wire should go to the center contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back