63 degrees out....changed the oil 450 miles early

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so the wife's car was 450 miles from her next OCI....looking ahead that would have put me into mid February and the temps would be 20-30F in the garage....it was 63F here so I broke down and did it....

should my name be added to the Bitog hall of shame?
45.gif

One year OCI? Man, my wife drives 25K a year.

I just told her to have the Subaru dealer do it for 90 bucks.
I told her she needs to get in there every 30K to throw them a bone if she wants any reasonable warranty attention.

OUCH! on HER pocketbook
smile.gif

I missed my change for an oil change last week when it was in the mid 50s. I'm probably out for the rest of this winter, which will push my OCI up to about 10k. I've been itching to change the oil, but the cold weather has been a good excuse. 10k OCIs are hard!

Well how about that. You just asked for our opinions. Maybe you should buy us responders a beer for responding to your request.

Any way on to your request for our opinion. Good or bad weather also come into my equation. As does whether I have trip planned, etc.

And you had a good time outside doing it. So all is well

You must have a garage or paved driveway atleast. I need to wait until we get some cold weather again to re-freeze the gravel driveway to change the oil. Above -10C and not windy would be perfect.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I missed my change for an oil change last week when it was in the mid 50s. I'm probably out for the rest of this winter, which will push my OCI up to about 10k. I've been itching to change the oil, but the cold weather has been a good excuse. 10k OCIs are hard!

I know...I have considered going to Mobil1EP for that same reason.

I'd have done the same thing! Nothing worse than working on a car in the cold, except maybe a car with no heat to warm you up after you work on it.

I changed the Rav4's oil a couple hundred miles early on a Wednesday night. Got the oil out but the oil filter was stuck and I rounded off the squares with my socket filter. Then it was off to Auto Zone to a pliers type tool with necessitated taking off the splash guard with caused a bolt to strip and a plastic bolt thing to break.

Next time I won't make the filter so tight.

I do yearly oil changes on my grandparent's cars. The Jeep is due in May, but I'm going to change it early in March so it won't be so hot outside (I live in Phoenix). The Trailblazer is due every August, but we'll see what the OLM and mileage is at that time. I might wait until October when it cools down to 100 degrees.

My car I do by mileage since I do around 22-25k miles a year, 7,500 mile OCI's but I have a garage so I can do it pretty quickly.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I changed the Rav4's oil a couple hundred miles early on a Wednesday night. Got the oil out but the oil filter was stuck and I rounded off the squares with my socket filter. Then it was off to Auto Zone to a pliers type tool with necessitated taking off the splash guard with caused a bolt to strip and a plastic bolt thing to break.

Next time I won't make the filter so tight.

I use one of those clamp/cam style oil filter wrenches that fits on a 3/8 drive and grips the end of the filter when you turn it counterclockwise. I just add an extension for my Rav4 and it comes loose every time. But I only crank the filter on by hand. I never use a wrench to tighten an oil filter unless it's a cartridge style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back