used pureone filter lost its oil, ok too use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello again all:) About 3-4 years ago, i purchased from advanceauto a new purolator pureone air filter, it had oil on it. its been maybe 15-20 miles, and other day looked at it, and was still blue, but middle was blacl, apparently catching particles. Car is a 98 corolla. factory filters,have 2 plastic sides covering the length of a new air filter, ak denso. frsm extraguard makes em like that too. stp, ac delco, and apparently, purolator dont.does that matter? I also noticed, the oil that was on the filter whne i go it, isall completely gone now. the filter media is as dry if not drier than a new out of hte box paper air filter.
is this filter still good too use? or should i replace it?

It'll still filter just fine. Does this car have a MAF sensor? I don't think those oiled filters played well with them.

Do they still sell these?

I would still use it, I don't think they were oiled. I ran one in my 99 Mustang Cobra years ago. I had one of (or thee) fastest stock 1/4 times in the country. Not sure if it made a difference but it didn't hurt.

IM not sure if it hjas a MAF sensor. The filter was oiled when i got it. i still very much, remember taking it out of the package, plastic wraped around the filter,and the oil was so plenty full. other day i took it out too look at it, ( installed a new starter, original factory one finaly died) and decided too look at the filter. ALL the oil tht was on the air filter was bone dry gone. It did appear to be filtering, but since the filter was suppsed too have this oil with it, its all gone now, im assuming dried up and some went throught the intake.
Wondering if i should replace it, or this unoiled filter now, that appears bone dry, is any good anymore. it is parked outside all the time...so summer heat has influbce on it, winter so does dry cold air..

You've driven 15-20 miles in 3-4 years?

If you just installed it, why would you check the filter after 15-20 miles?

OH! did imispell :x i am sorry all...15-20,000, thats thousand!!!!
miles in that 3-4 year time frame.
gunna fix that mispell error real fast like now.
yeah, the filter is bone dry of oil..it did have the oil in it before taking the plastic wrap off and installing it on my vehicle..

I might be totally off here, but perhaps the reasoning behind the oil is to help filtration at the start of the filter's life cycle, when filtration is normally at its worst. Purolator may be very well aware that the oil will "dry up" over time, by which time it won't matter, as the filter is getting more efficient with use.

If that is the case, it's probably a pretty darned good idea.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I might be totally off here, but perhaps the reasoning behind the oil is to help filtration at the start of the filter's life cycle, when filtration is normally at its worst. Purolator may be very well aware that the oil will "dry up" over time, by which time it won't matter, as the filter is getting more efficient with use.

If that is the case, it's probably a pretty darned good idea.

I like this idea of the oil helping the efficiency at first. I wonder if there are acual efficiency ratings for the material wet or dry?

I like the idea of oiled air. Like, instead of moist with humidity from atmosphere, there is an oily mist to coat the internals.

Kind of inline with top end lubrication- using MMO or TCW-3 and the like.

Keeps all of the surfaces with some amount of oil/oil vapor.

as for the filter, I felt they are too restrictive. Maybe the oil coats/clogs the element's pores....

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I like the idea of oiled air. Like, instead of moist with humidity from atmosphere, there is an oily mist to coat the internals.

Kind of inline with top end lubrication- using MMO or TCW-3 and the like.

Keeps all of the surfaces with some amount of oil/oil vapor.

as for the filter, I felt they are too restrictive. Maybe the oil coats/clogs the element's pores....

Some people run into trouble when the oil fouls their cars MAF sensor, causing runability issues and excess fuel usage. Usually you hear that with K&N filters, but I suppose it could happen with an oiled paper filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back