Factory Fill 2015 3.7l Duratec. (5/20MC 4948mi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is factory fill from a 2015 Ford 3.7L Ti-VCT V6.

Presumably this is 5/20 Motorcraft Blend.
It has 4948mi/289hr - 191 of which are idle hrs (Can't be helped)
The IOLM reported 51% oil life left so it was going to be perfectly happy to let me run this oil for 10,000 miles and roughly 580 hrs.

Anyway, here we go.

C_Ford.jpg

Last edited:
That OLM has a flaw in the algorithm.

Assuming your idle hours are correct you're averaging over 50mph when moving. I've got a lead foot and my car keeps track, that is a really high average speed.

Being perfectly honest with you I think this is evidence that the ol magical OLM is not always the best way to go. I agree with gasbuggy there very well could be an algorithm problem with it here.

I would say the Motorcraft oil is good oil though. Made by Conoco Phillips as you well know.

Yea I'm not sure how much I trust the Ford olm. The one in my new fiesta doesn't even work. It never alerts you to change the oil. Ford knows about it and has basically said it doesn't work, go by mileage and time and keep track of your oil changes yourself. Several people on the fiesta ST forum have gone crazy mileage on the factory fill because they are just driving thinking the car will alert them when the change is due.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
...I think this is evidence that the ol magical OLM is not always the best way to go. I agree with gasbuggy there very well could be an algorithm problem with it here. ...

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
Yea I'm not sure how much I trust the Ford olm. ...

Normally I would be an advocate of following the IOLM, but I was skeptical given the usage that it was a good idea to run this oil to the limit that the IOLM was suggesting.

It has been pretty consistent ~10% = ~1000mi. I'm actually not convinced it is varying based on usage.

I did not reset it BTW so we will see how long it would have let the oil go.

It won't always idle so much... so we will see if it is figuring idle time in eventually.

I do have the OE filter to cut open when I get a chance too.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
Btw what kinda car are we talking about here?

I figured we'd get around to that...
wink.gif

It is a Transit - mostly.

Wow, a Transit, our company has a fleet of them, guessing, maybe 15 or so?

Gosh, maintenance wise they suffer the worst abuse I ever have seen vehicles get abused. The engines are rock solid, the transmissions in the 2011 and 12s are another story, we had a few fail around 100 to 130,000 miles. I think it was a known issue now corrected.

Anyway if our company cant kill these engines no one can, I can only guess many of them go 20,000 miles or more before an oil change, if that.
I consider myself good being I am conscientious and even then, my truck is lucky to have a change by 8,000 miles and my worst was 16,000 which I am not proud of, we are just always slammed with work and our days are non stop from morning to night.

They just purchased some new 16s ... getting them ready for the road but doubt Ill get one, my mileage considered low. We run about 1,000 miles a week.
Got 122,000 on it now, still doesnt burn any significant oil. Runs like a top, never gets maintenance except tires, oil and wipers.

Our trucks are pretty basic no OLM except maybe for the new ones that just came in as they seem to have many more options.

Last edited:
I see a lot of them on the road...some look like they are carrying a lot of weight by the way they are squatting. I was curious as to what motor they were using in these.

So we have racked up another ~1000mi/~100hrsRT/~80IT and it is at 41%.

Interestingly, there is some internet information that it considers "idle time" running at below 25mph. I'm going to see if I can test this using the idle time on one of the trip meters.

So, we are at 10,042 miles. 445 idle hours, 645 total hours. Oil life at 3%. (keeping in mind it was not reset at the change)

Still no dash lights or information center messages to change oil...
confused.gif

Well, they are good for tracking use, but I wouldn't run it down to 0%, thats for sure. Looks like 50% is a better change timeframe in this particular case.

Well in the case of this one, you don't even need to ignore it, because apparently it will never actually prompt you to change the oil...

It is getting changed now...

Playing Devils advocate here.

If the oil only had 5k on it, why would it tell you to change it?

In other words, maybe it has a way of telling the oils actual condition.

It is not supposed to be a straight mileage thing.

BTW, Owners manual will say not to exceed 10k miles or one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back