There Is No Excuse For -

Status
Not open for further replies.
A stripped lug nut or bolt
A stripped drain plug
etc, etc.

Let me say that this only applies if you are the only one who has ever worked on the failed component. In my case I don't let anybody else touch my truck, no one but me has opened the hood of my truck since I drove it off the dealer's lot ten years ago. So if a drain plug strips or a lug nut gets damaged, I have only myself to blame.

Even when buy I tires from Costco, I take the wheels off myself and drop them off at Costco for new tires to be mounted on the rims. The extra work involved is worth it to me to ensure that the lugs are torqued properly and that the plastic centre caps do not crack from the tech using an impact gun on it.

One only has control over one's own actions, so if a quick lube damages the engine oil drain plug from cross threading or over tightening, that is beyond your control. But there is no excuse for you inflicting the damage.

blah blah blah /rant off??

Am I missing something what is the point of this rant?

That's a pretty harsh judgement on the vast majority of people that don't have complete control over a vehicle.

A new car frequently comes with maintenance included. If you don't take advantage of it, you are putting your warranty at risk. (Not invalidating it, but putting a strong burden of proof on you. Do you think a dealer will replace an engine with just oil receipts in hand?) A lease agreement might even require you to use the included scheduled service.

Even if you don't use the free service, you'll likely need to have recall work done at a dealer. That usually includes inspection of related parts, and probably includes an overall check. Do you think you don't need to have recall work done? If it's a safety recall, you insurance company might have a different view. If it's an emissions recall, I expect we'll soon see states that require all recall work to be performed before renewing registration.

Originally Posted By: djb
That's a pretty harsh judgement on the vast majority of people that don't have complete control over a vehicle.

A new car frequently comes with maintenance included. If you don't take advantage of it, you are putting your warranty at risk. (Not invalidating it, but putting a strong burden of proof on you. Do you think a dealer will replace an engine with just oil receipts in hand?) A lease agreement might even require you to use the included scheduled service.

Even if you don't use the free service, you'll likely need to have recall work done at a dealer. That usually includes inspection of related parts, and probably includes an overall check. Do you think you don't need to have recall work done? If it's a safety recall, you insurance company might have a different view. If it's an emissions recall, I expect we'll soon see states that require all recall work to be performed before renewing registration.

In Canada we usually don't get free service for the first few years. It's offered on some higher end cars up here. But you get what you pay for.

Quote:

So if a drain plug strips or a lug nut gets damaged, I have only myself to blame

But, as the title indicates, there is no excuse.

Apparently, you will give leeway to yourself, but no one else.

Last edited:
Lets be honest, most people are not going to do all the work on a new vehicle, tires and oil sure.

The dealer may end up doing work as part of a recall. They will not just give you the part to install yourself.

Unsure what point the OP was trying to make?

BbGnQpp.gif

Originally Posted By: George7941
A stripped lug nut or bolt
A stripped drain plug
etc, etc.

Let me say that this only applies if you are the only one who has ever worked on the failed component. In my case I don't let anybody else touch my truck, no one but me has opened the hood of my truck since I drove it off the dealer's lot ten years ago. So if a drain plug strips or a lug nut gets damaged, I have only myself to blame.

Even when buy I tires from Costco, I take the wheels off myself and drop them off at Costco for new tires to be mounted on the rims. The extra work involved is worth it to me to ensure that the lugs are torqued properly and that the plastic centre caps do not crack from the tech using an impact gun on it.

One only has control over one's own actions, so if a quick lube damages the engine oil drain plug from cross threading or over tightening, that is beyond your control. But there is no excuse for you inflicting the damage.

I do that exact same thing when I buy tires,I drop off my wheels at the tire shop,then bring them home and reinstall.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

So if a drain plug strips or a lug nut gets damaged, I have only myself to blame

But, as the title indicates, there is no excuse.

Apparently, you will give leeway to yourself, but no one else.

I am not giving leeway to myself, I will blame myself if I screwed up. And I have screwed up on occasion, hopefully I learned from my screwups.

Originally Posted By: djb

The scenarios you put forward are exactly the ones I excluded when I specified "you are the only one who has worked on the component"

It's true unless the vehicle is in a corrosive environment
(road salt, ect) if the proper methods, specifications, and tools are used you should NEVER see a stripped lug nut/bolt, or a oil drain pan bolt....

Now WHY IS IT THAT WHEN YOU PAY GOOD MONEY TO HAVE YOUR CAR SERVICED AT A LEGITIMATE REPAIR SHOP THAT YOU SEE THIS TYPE OF THING ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

Leaving your car at a shop is honestly traumatic imo. I've seen way to many horror stories first hand in person. The absolute only time I have a shop work on my cars,is if it's something that requires a lift or some crazy exotic expensive too I don't have.

That said the only shop I trust with my car is a certain Nissan dealership in DFW,Tx. Service manager has a twin turbo model car like mine and knows them inside and out. He always has the same tech do the work (been working on Z's since they first came out). When I get my car back from them it's always absolutely spotless. They even give me a free loaner if I need a car for a day. I love these guys!

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Now WHY IS IT THAT WHEN YOU PAY GOOD MONEY TO HAVE YOUR CAR SERVICED AT A LEGITIMATE REPAIR SHOP THAT YOU SEE THIS TYPE OF THING ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

Because there is no end to laziness. Corners are cut all the time in the vehicle repair trade (and in every other occupation known to man)

Here in Ontario we had a spate of "truck wheel off" incidents in the mid nineties leading to deaths and the government brought in measures like mandatory wheel service personnel training. This really reduced the number of flying truck wheels. They are bringing in much tougher truck inspection standards in July 2016. Just a couple of weeks ago a man in a GMC Denali SUV was killed by a flying truck tire in the Greater Toronto area.

With all this training and publicity on flying truck tires, what do I see in my truck tire shop when I take in a truck for new tires? The tightening torque is specified to be 450 to 500 ft lbs and the guys just zip the lug nuts on with a 1" impact and then use a torque wrench. The lug nuts never move with the torque wrench, so they really are over tightening the lug nuts.

So, it is not surprising that wheel off incidents still occur, given these sloppy techniques.

The point I was making in my original post is that most failures have an underlying cause which could have been avoided with proper procedures.

Same thing with traffic "accidents", most are really are not accidents but caused by some foolish action like texting, speeding too fast for road conditions etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back