Penz Plat 5w30, 5k, 07' Corvette - very high iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I sent in my car for the second oil analysis and the results came back very poor. What may be causing this?

ujMd4Oc

65k total miles. No I have not driven it hard. I have only had it for about 8k miles.

Last edited:
Any idea what the maintenance interval was on this engine? Is there any indication of sludge or excess deposits?
PP cleans well, its possible the PP is cleaning some deposits out of the engine and sump which could contain a lot of wear metals that once the deposits are dissolved are now back in circulation.

He should try Castol Edge black bottle 0w40, he has enough iron already he doesn't need any more from Mobil 1.
lol.gif

JK, I couldn't resist before someone else said it.

I have the god of all oils going in it next, 0w40 Penzs Ultra.

Thoughts on adding some Marvel mystery oil to clean it up before the next oil change?

Originally Posted By: AndrewPro

Not impressed with VOA/UOAs I've seen that oil, certainly not to the point of calling it the 'god' (or even minor deity) of anything.

Its possible its got great anti-wear in an additive pack that doesn't show up on simple analyses, but my guess is that its really just a 40-weight version of their 20- and 30-weight A1/B1 oils. Their (Pennzoil) Euro 5w40 is higher in the conventional anti-wear additives, more like M1 0w40 or HDEOs, so I'd look toward A3/B3 A3/B4 oils such as those if I were going out-of-grade anyway. M1 0w40, RT6, Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40, etc.

Alternatively, I'd stay IN-grade and try a non-API street/strip oriented oil with the higher additive content, along the lines of Valvoline VR-1 or Royal Purple HPS, etc.

Thoughts on adding some Marvel mystery oil to clean it up before the next oil change?

You might get some MMO and Supertech 5w30 and do 2 500-1000 mile oil changes to rule out deposits.

Then try some Redline 5w30 Group V

Last edited:
no dont use any additives.. MMO is extremely thin and is a formulated in 1930's product... how is that going to help.

Try one thing at a time(like a 0w40). If it doesnt get better I'd think maybe the previous owner abused it heavily.

The Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 is a pretty weak 40 grade. VOA's show it in the mid-12's. And some UOA's just 1,000 miles later show it in the mid to upper 11's. If you want more protection I'd go with what 440 Magnum recommended. The Dodge Hellcats use the PU 0w-40 SRT for what it's worth.

Interesting that 1 qt of that Mobil 1 is still in your engine based on the magnesium levels. The PP + leftover Mobil 1 is a mix with some of "everything." That may not be as effective as all PP or all M1.

I like the cleaning suggestions, since I think there could be something wrong with the rings. Guessing: Previous owner drove it hard, oxidized some oil, it got stuck in the ring grooves, and the rings are grinding every stroke in a cylinder or two.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Where did you get that Pennzoil Platinum? The zinc and phosphorus look too low.
Not much lower. According to PQIA, Pennz Plat should have 651ppm phosphorous AW, and this has 619ppm.

Originally Posted By: Doog
You might get some MMO and Supertech 5w30 and do 2 500-1000 mile oil changes to rule out deposits. Then try some Redline 5w30 Group V

If you use MMO, definitely use a 5w-40 or 0w-40 because MMO will thin the sump a bit.
I like the Redline suggestion, but Pennz Ultra 0w-40 is excellent too.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Not impressed with VOA/UOAs I've seen that oil (Pennz Ultra 0w40), certainly not to the point of calling it the 'god' (or even minor deity) of anything. Its possible its got great anti-wear in an additive pack that doesn't show up on simple analyses, but my guess is that its really just a 40-weight version of their 20- and 30-weight A1/B1 oils.

Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 has a lot of moly (275 ppm), possibly even the trimer moly from Infineum, in a large enough amount it starts to have AW benefits on top of the usual FM benefits. (Chrysler engineers were touting extra moly in it for their SRT engines a while back.) Also, Pennz has an ad campaign with it being used in racing BMW's. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3922550/Re:_BMW_Motorsports_uses_0w-40
Therefore, use it! That oil is no slouch.

There would be something wrong with the engine, but PP 5w30's additive pack isn't impressive at all.

All, I sent in my car for the second oil analysis and the results came back very poor. What may be causing this?

ujMd4Oc.jpg

Pennzoil Platinum has returned low iron ppm in many other engines, so the add pack is certainly plenty to meet GM 4718M and dexos1 wear requirements.

If you really want more ZDDP/moly, then run 1 qt Mobil1 Racing 0w-30 to the rest M1 0w-30 AFE.

I'd go with Mobil 1. Search the current uoa's,it's turning out the best wear numbers. Definitely skip the additives.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Alternatively, I'd stay IN-grade and try a non-API street/strip oriented oil with the higher additive content, along the lines of Valvoline VR-1 or Royal Purple HPS, etc.

That's actually another really great idea, I second the royal purple oils that have synerlec

Id go thicker for sure. T6 5w40 would be my choice for your engine. It will clean as good as any and will hold its viscosity well.
Hopfully your trends start to become more positive and you can chalk it up to shoddy maintenance from the last owners. If not you should trade it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back