How does 200k mile motor burn oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
120kmiles though isn't that much. From what I understand, a number of the oil burner Corolla's wouldn't start burning oil until 50-100k.

Agreed, the 2001 I bought used. The previous owner probably neglected proper oil change intervals. I tried Seafoam, MMO and Hi Mileage oils. Piston soaks with Seafoam, nothing short of a teardown would free those rings.
The newer engines added some more oil holes in the piston land for the oil rings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
IF the car never smokes, can it be driven indefinitely if the owner keeps a close eye on the oil level ?

Sure. I have seen cars go 100,000+ miles while burning a quart in 1-1.5K miles.

Sometimes the PCV valve will fail, but those are usually cheap and not sifficult to replace. Other car companies use something different (Such as the Volvo flame trap) Which also need occasional replacement to solve burning oil problems.

Turbocharger failure can cause oil burning. If you are really unlucky and have a diesel engine, a turbo might leak oil into the intake manifold and cause a runaway engine. Other times it leaks out the exhaust side seal and burns in the catalytic converter.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
IF the car never smokes, can it be driven indefinitely if the owner keeps a close eye on the oil level ?

Sure. I have seen cars go 100,000+ miles while burning a quart in 1-1.5K miles.

BMW says that M engines can consume a quart in less than 600 miles, and that the engine will not only survive, but that this is actually within specification from cradle to the grave.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My car high mileage car burns oil because it has bad valve guide seals. Blows out blue smoke on startup in the morning and after it's been sitting for a few hours. No smoke while driving though. Doesn't hurt a thing either

Our Escape does that. I consider the engine prelubed.. make it last longer!

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My car high mileage car burns oil because it has bad valve guide seals. Blows out blue smoke on startup in the morning and after it's been sitting for a few hours. No smoke while driving though. Doesn't hurt a thing either

Our Escape does that. I consider the engine prelubed.. make it last longer!
Lol that's a good way to look at it!

As motors wear tolerances loosen up and they may start to burn oil. Typically the oil control rings or valve steam seals are the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back