Tire recommendations For Honda Accord V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha ha! Knew you guys would get a kick out of that! Seriously though, we got about a foot of snow and the car drove fine. I'm thinking any decent a/s tire will be decent enough after getting by just fine with my worn out tires.
What do you think of the Nokian WR G3's? They are advertised as all seasons but geared towards snow. How do you think these would do in summer and overall quietness as the tread looks pretty knobby. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Ha ha ha! Knew you guys would get a kick out of that! Seriously though, we got about a foot of snow and the car drove fine. I'm thinking any decent a/s tire will be decent enough after getting by just fine with my worn out tires.
What do you think of the Nokian WR G3's? They are advertised as all seasons but geared towards snow. How do you think these would do in summer and overall quietness as the tread looks pretty knobby. Thanks again!

Define fine:?
10fukhx.jpg

2ib2q9g.jpg

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Well my 2 to 3/32" tread Pilots still got me home early this morning before plows were out. I kid you not, I was going through 2-3 foot deep drifts every 20 feet for nearly 20 miles and never got stuck or slid. I passed many trucks, SUV's and cars stuck or off the road in a ditch.
My Honda Accord just does really good in the snow. I have no idea how my worn out tires still grip the road so well. Maybe I will stick with Michelin.

Come on, even being from CA I know a [censored] snow driving claim, when I read one.
Your front bumper should be cracked to [censored] and/or missing.

I think someone has math issues!

They will be much better then any A/S tire. But better the tire in snow, worse in summer, that is rule of thumb!

Wife had the original WR (h rated) on her old Jetta. They were very capable in the snow. During summer they were rather mushy and had poor steering response, as expected. If you drive like grandma, you can live with it. Otherwise, you will probably be disappointed.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

10fukhx.jpg

2ib2q9g.jpg

Fine as in I did not slide or spin out at all. I traveled I25 before the plows came out early this morning at about 35 to 40 mph. I passed many cars like the one in your picture. I was able to break without sliding and maneuver without sliding. I kept my car at safe speeds for the conditions. Did not get stuck at stops either.

10fukhx.jpg

2ib2q9g.jpg

Fine as in I did not slide or spin out at all. I traveled I25 before the plows came out early this morning at about 35 to 40 mph. I passed many cars like the one in your picture. I was able to break without sliding and maneuver without sliding. I kept my car at safe speeds for the conditions. Did not get stuck at stops either.

And all that with 2-3/32 on your tread?
Funny, since I had to fight steering wheel on my X5 that is AWD and has Blizzak's DM-V2 with 11/32 on them, on the same HWY. Not to mention that 99% of cars that I saw were driving like 5mph, and some had issues moving even it was obvious they have winter tires.
Since those tires are so good, why you asking questions here? Just buy another set.

10fukhx.jpg

2ib2q9g.jpg

And all that with 2-3/32 on your tread?
Funny, since I had to fight steering wheel on my X5 that is AWD and has Blizzak's DM-V2 with 11/32 on them, on the same HWY. Not to mention that 99% of cars that I saw were driving like 5mph, and some had issues moving even it was obvious they have winter tires.
Since those tires are so good, why you asking questions here? Just buy another set.

That is what I don't get! Why isn't my car sliding more? Wish I had a video of it so you could see for yourself. By all means it should suck in snow and ice but it does ok.

Then buy same tires, make youtube video, and have million followers.
Now if you see silver X5 in front of you and you drive 40mph in snow conditions, please keep distance.

If you're considering sticking with Michelin, they should be releasing the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ sometime in March this year. It's supposed to have 28% better snow traction (at expense of what else I don't know). All else is reported to be the same as original Pilot Sport A/S 3.

Originally Posted By: nolesfan
If you're considering sticking with Michelin, they should be releasing the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ sometime in March this year. It's supposed to have 28% better snow traction (at expense of what else I don't know).

And even then, since it's an UHP AS tire, it will likely not be as good in snow as a grand touring AS tire. Always a trade off.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Originally Posted By: krzyss
How are all weather tires from Nokian, Hankook, Vredestein different from performance winters from other vendors?

Krzyś

The Nokian WRG3 essentially 'is' a high-performance winter tire, maybe UHP winter in lower-profile V-rated sizes. Then they add some of that Hakka warrior magic to gain some treadlife so it can be marketed as a year-round tire and given a 55K miles warranty.

My set worked great the one time they dealt with snow this winter. They handle dry pavement pretty well; the test will be in the summer heat. They are loud at speed and won't make 55K miles. I had wanted a set of WRG3 for years and thought I finally bought magic rubber this time. Nah; a good tire, a good compromise, adds some comfort level to driving in winter (of which we've had almost none this year) but also expensive, hard to balance and on the loud side.

No free lunch in tire-world.

I felt the need to update this, since my post above has been linked to and cited in this thread.

Jury still out on my set of WRG3 but one thing to amend is the noise issue. Turns out I had a bad wheel bearing in the left front that snuck up on me, that I mistakenly attributed to the tires being quite loud. Now the bearing is fixed the noise is greatly diminished. The WRG3 is still louder on pavement than a smooth touring tire, like the H727, but not to the point it's a big deal.

As to how I made that mistake: Every time a wheel bearing has gone south on a vehicle before, it has been more or less night and day. One day things seem fine, the next day the whining noise appears. In this case it happened by inches. Kept getting a hair louder as time crept on, till I finally guessed what the problem was. Guy at the shop said something about how the hub might have muffled things, the way the bearing set in, or somesuch.

Anyway, the WRG3 is certainly a tire to consider for the OP and those in similar circumstances. I cannot give it either a huge thumbs-up or down so far; but it is something to consider.

So I ended up getting a set of Yokohama YK580's. A fried recommend them to me and I looked them up and saw a massive amount of positive reviews on them, more so then most other tires I was looking at. I've had them a week now and have driven in deep snow(8"), ice, dry pavement and grooved highway. They preform great on all surfaces so far. They are also the most quiet tire I have ever had on a car!
I highly recommend them if you are looking for a great A/S tire! Thanks for the input everyone!

So I ended up getting a set of Yokohama YK580's. A fried recommend them to me and I looked them up and saw a massive amount of positive reviews on them, more so then most other tires I was looking at. I've had them a week now and have driven in deep snow(8"), ice, dry pavement and grooved highway. They preform great on all surfaces so far. They are also the most quiet tire I have ever had on a car!
I highly recommend them if you are looking for a great A/S tire! Thanks for the input everyone!

My neighbor has them on his car. Got stuck n 3-4 inches here in our cul-de-sac.
However, after such amazing performance on your old tires, why you just did not go with tires you had before? Or you think these will take you up Raton Pass through 3f of snow?

However, after such amazing performance on your old tires, why you just did not go with tires you had before? Or you think these will take you up Raton Pass through 3f of snow?

My factory tires are discontinued. I drove a Z28 through 8 Colorado winters and NEVER got stuck or slid. No one with half a brain gets stuck in 3-4" of snow. Maybe my 38 years of driving in snow has helped me learn to drive better then most in winter conditions.
Anyway there are many reviews of the YK580s from other owners doing great in snow and ice.

My factory tires are discontinued. I drove a Z28 through 8 Colorado winters and NEVER got stuck or slid. No one with half a brain gets stuck in 3-4" of snow. Maybe my 38 years of driving in snow has helped me learn to drive better then most in winter conditions.
Anyway there are many reviews of the YK580s from other owners doing great in snow and ice.

Oh, here we go again with argument where surface and tires recognize driving experience and adjust accordingly.
I am just wondering where you found 8" of snow in Denver in last week considering I am driving car with open panoramic roof and windows since last Saturday.
I was skiing Monday and Wednesday and road was actually DRY on Loveland Pass, not to mention Denver.

Last edited:
A week ago back streets were still full of deep snow. I'm starting to wonder about you. You act as if 30mph in snow is unsafe and no one can drive in more then a few inches! LOL!

A week ago back streets were still full of deep snow. I'm starting to wonder about you. You act as if 30mph in snow is unsafe and no one can drive in more then a few inches! LOL!

Yeah I know those back streets, full of slush where tire immediately makes contact with pavement.
8 inches of snow? Good clearance that Accord has, considering clearance on Pilot is 7.3 inches.
I am wondering about your eyes and math skills.
But again, who are we to question your skills and judgment since you drove with spent tires through 2-3 feet of snow
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back