Bent rim.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
School me. Last week, wasn't paying attention and then BAM, hit a curb and the whole car went over the curb into a yard. This is the 06 Accord. Luckily, no obvious front end damage, car runs fine. No suspension damage but the two front rims are now bent slightly and the old tires were still holding air. Was time for new tires so I put on some new continentals and my mechanic said if the rims are holding the bead, it's not that bad. He put new tires on them and told me when I picked it up that the two front rims were actually bent. Tires holding air well and he put them on the back. Had it aligned, which surprised me but it did aling within factory specs. Drove it this morning, at about 80 mph, car is straight but I can feel and hear a slight vibration. Mechanic said this might happen but short of getting two new rims, not a lot he can do. They all were balanced on the machine before mounting them back on the car. I can live with that feel and very slight noise, but am I looking at long term damage? I can feel it on the steering wheel, below 80, it's like silk. 80 is about as fast as I can go legally here on the Oklahoma turnpikes. Brakes don't throb.

Bent rims, if not cracked, can be straightened out by a wheel shop.

If you don't correct it, most likely your tires will wear unevenly and become progressively more noisy.

It's hard to straighten a bent aluminum wheel if that's what you have. In addition to uneven tire wear. It will put more stress on wheel bearings and suspension components like bushings. I say get new wheels.

You can get the rims repaired at those places that repair aluminum alloy rims. I had 2 rims repaired that were bent really bad. I think I paid 100 bucks a rim. Another thing you could do is go to ebay- I am sure you can get oem rims for cheap.

It will eventually wear the tire out of round, and then you will have to replace the tires again, and the wheels. Probably not an emergency, but I would start shopping for wheels. Yes, most can be repaired, but in most cases, a used wheel is cheaper. Usually it is around $125 to have a wheel straightened.

Sometimes it's easier giving advice when it involves someone else. If I had two bent rims on my car, what would you recommend?

There are many Wheel fixing places in Oklahoma. You can google it or use yelp for some reviews. For peace of mind I think it's worth it. Prob will cost around $250.

Curious on getting the rim repaired. They have to heat them up and then bang them back in shape? Does the whole rim have to be repainted again??

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Curious on getting the rim repaired. They have to heat them up and then bang them back in shape? Does the whole rim have to be repainted again??

I wish I knew, but it's like top secret. The wheel almost always bends on the backside, where you can't even see it. The back of the wheel is very flimsy, like the open end of a 5 gallon bucket. Most people don't even know they have a bent wheel, because the front side almost never bends, but the back can be really bad. Sometimes even bent in 2 or 3 places. They can usually straighten them without even removing the tire from the wheel, which is pretty cool. If you ever hear or feel a big bang on a pot hole or whatever, rest assured the wheel is bent, and even a big bulge on the rear sidewall, which is all out of sight. I have seen it hundreds of times! Scary

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back