Larger tire questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Tacoma that I wil be replacing the tires on it soon. The current size is 265/65r17 but I want to jump up to 265/70r17 michelin ltx defenders. I know most guys upsize to all terrains but I have no need for them and in the past I surprised how well they do for a highway on basic trails except in mud. Question is am I going to lose a lot of mpg's going up in size. They are extremely light tire (39.6 pounds). And what affects gas mileage more size, weight, or tread pattern?

Originally Posted By: Oey12
I have a 2012 Tacoma that I wil be replacing the tires on it soon. The current size is 265/65r17 but I want to jump up to 265/70r17 michelin ltx defenders. I know most guys upsize to all terrains but I have no need for them and in the past I surprised how well they do for a highway on basic trails except in mud. Question is am I going to lose a lot of mpg's going up in size. They are extremely light tire (39.6 pounds). And what affects gas mileage more size, weight, or tread pattern?

3.6% size increase. The engine will be turning fewer rpm at highway speed so you may notice a bit of mpg increase. But...the tire will take more energy to accelerate and decelerate since it is increasing unsprung mass by 3 pounds per corner.

ABS and traction control may be affected as most manufacturers say 3% change is allowed.

Construction and compound affect rolling resistance the most.

Why not get the same tire in the correct size?

You will actually gain some MPG with larger diameter tire. The actual distance with larger tire is more than what shown on odometer, so you are cover more distance with similar gas consumption.

You may need to lower pressure by few PSI to have similar performance as OEM size.

FWIW, I have larger tires on my truck and it does very well. So I can second that OP may want to do this.

Just need to be careful with the changed handling, as mentioned.

Originally Posted By: LotI

3.6% size increase. The engine will be turning fewer rpm at highway speed so you may notice a bit of mpg increase. But...the tire will take more energy to accelerate and decelerate since it is increasing unsprung mass by 3 pounds per corner.

ABS and traction control may be affected as most manufacturers say 3% change is allowed.

Construction and compound affect rolling resistance the most.

Why not get the same tire in the correct size?

The biggest reason why I want them is for looks truthfully. I have a air system in the rear which raised it about a inch or so. And to compensate for the aggressive rake I put a small spacer on the front suspension. Now the truck looks funny cause it's sits higher than stock. In addition the larger tires are $10 bucks cheaper a tire but other then that no reason at all.

First, the biggest factor in tires vs fuel economy is the tread compound. No doubt, you are going to loose big time in that department if we only consider the change in make and model.

But if we consider the difference in overall tire diameter it might be a wash.

- AND -

It might be that the electronics in your truck will not like the difference in tire diameter. I've heard of such things and suggest you thoroughly research that BEFORE you commit this transaction to cash.

Also, you should be aware that new tires will get worse fuel economy compared to worn tires, all other things being equal.

FWIW I'm +3.1% with LTX M/S2 on my Highlander, no troubles, like the larger look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back