Best oil for Mazda3 that isn't driven much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Mazda3 s (2.3L) that I don't driven very often. It has sat in the garage for as long as a month, but usually I try to drive it at least 50 miles every weekend.

The car currently has 98k miles on it, but the engine was replaced under warranty at 49,200 miles. I bought the car new and I changed the oil within the 7500-mile intervals that Mazda specifies. I used conventional oil for those oil changes. At 49,200, the #1 connecting rod failed...or the engine "spun a bearing" to use the vernacular of the dealer.

Since the engine replacement, I've been using Synthetic Blend motor oil. I'm thinking that switching to Full Synthetic is probably the smartest thing I could do. Am I correct?

Not sure what grade your vehicle is after, but I'd choose a magnatec oil in appropriate grade.

Stick with the recomended viscosity, but try and find a highly polar oil that will 'cling' to surfaces and prevent dry start wear.

I'd stick with synblend. Keeping it topped off is the most important thing you can do. I find it hard to believe a relatively low mileage Mazda could spin a rod bearing w/o being low on oil...or being road raced somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not sure what grade your vehicle is after, but I'd choose a magnatec oil in appropriate grade.

Just purchased an '07 with a rebuilt engine (51k miles) for my daughter. This engine calls for 5w-20

Shannon: Why do you suggest magnatec over any other brand?

Originally Posted By: Finz
Just purchased an '07 with a rebuilt engine (51k miles) for my daughter. This engine calls for 5w-20

I like their UMA additive is all.

Oil consumption is a very common problem on the 2.3s, both from piston ring seal and (more likely) PCV valve failure.

Cat clogging is also semi common. Most people don't notice there's a problem. Which one is the cause and effect is somewhat up for debate.

Originally Posted By: Finz

Fair enough... I'm a babe in woods when it comes to anything other than Hondas. My driveway has a Mazda blemish in/on it now

Shannow,

Why not Castrol Edge? I wonder if Magnatec has any advantages over Edge? (except the price of course)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Question; Is the....'06 Mazda 3 2.3L....a Duratec engine....which were in Ford Focuses around those years?

In fact this 2.3L Duratec is a Mazda design, not Ford's, but yeah, it's the same engine with just a few different details here and there.

I think the OP will be safe using a Motorcraft 5W20 syn-blend or the Magnatec 5W20 if he prefers a full synthetic. Both are great oils and this engine isn't hard on oil either.

+ 1 on the Castrol Magnatec in the correct weight for your car. I have heard reports that the oil is designed to cling to metals parts of the engine and not drain down. I believe it works well ( at the molecular level). Lots of threads on this to read.

Yeah good question on Edge Vs Magnatec. Does the Edge contain the same additive ? I wish we knew for sure.

My understanding is that Edge has the same (or a more modern version) of the additive.

i.e. you still get the "cling" with edge.

I don't think the fact that it doesn't get driven much and sits for a while should really matter that much in terms of oil choice. The most important thing (that you're already doing) is to get it out for longer trips every so often. The Firebird in my sig was only driven about 2-3k a year by the previous owner and he just used whatever conventional the quick lube place used (mostly Quaker State) and the engine still runs great. According to the records it was just changed about once a year or so. Since I've owned it, I change it every 3k (usually with synthetic) as I drive it hard and it does sit for months at a time and I take it to a number of cruises with many hours of stop and go.

My understanding is that Edge has the same (or a more modern version) of the additive.

i.e. you still get the "cling" with edge.

Good to know. Thanks mate.

I'd use one of the extend life oils like M1 EP with a Fram Ulta and change the oil every 2-3 years. If you drive it 50 miles every weekend (say 3000 mi per year) and have 20 min or so of constant driving your engine will get hot enough to remove excess water and/or unburned fuel. The extended life oils will give you a bit of additional acid resistance if you don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back