Bill Targets Oil Drain Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
3k changes are wasteful, and the proposed bill is a good idea,

But,

Quick Lube places have a reputation for dishonesty - why should they suddenly become honest when a bill gets introduced?

Ok... So we desire a government to dictate to a business or individual when or how long to run a oil in their car? How about coolant service?
I'm not against the thinking or belief that 3k mile intervals are not up to date with current abilities of the oil being made and used.

I am against government stepping in and attempting to control businesses or individual people to that extent. I have an idea... If government wants to get involved with this issue... How about funding a public ad campaign to educate the general public about not using or doing 3k mile oil change intervals. This would be a FAR better function of government. Aka educating their people for the public good. Saving them money and avoiding unnecessary oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
This is why I hate democrats.
California is full of them .

Not for long Merk.

You'll have to run 10k intervals with some sort of energy saving 5w30 synthetic.

They'll keep drones over your house, monitor your Walmart purchases etc.
grin.gif

I really have no idea. Apparently 2 stroke Lawn Boys are illegal out there, but I know of a few guys online that still use them there issue free.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
This is why I hate democrats.

Amen. No problem is too small for them that a new law won't fix it. Every aspect of your life needs to be controlled by the state so we have a Utopian society. This is an important election this year - choose wisely.

Calm down. It's not as bad as you think. They only want to require the oil change places to inform the owner what the manufacturer recommended drain intervals are. Nothing in the bill forces vehicle owners to extend their drain intervals. It's no different than forcing manufacturers to display the EPA mileage rating on new vehicles.

Fixed it for ya.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Not for long Merk.

You'll have to run 10k intervals with some sort of energy saving 0W16 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Calm down. It's not as bad as you think. They only want to require the oil change places to inform the owner what the manufacturer recommended drain intervals are. Nothing in the bill forces vehicle owners to extend their drain intervals. It's no different than forcing manufacturers to display the EPA mileage rating on new vehicles.

Yup, this. They should also go after Fram for printing "change every 12000 miles" on filter boxes when all the vehicles that filter fits call for 30k in the owners manual. Misleading advertising.

The information is good but, anytime we let the government take control, we loose in the long run. Keep government out of our vehicles. Ed

It would make more sense if they were:

1. Required to tell you the manufacturer recommended interval
2. Actually required to use the manufacturer specified oil

They often use bulk oil, that may not meet long drain specifications. Since they don't, the bill would actually cause many consumers, who are ignorant of specifications, run that oil TOO long.

Sure, put the bulk Dino in my BMW...see you in 15,000 miles!

Yes if they are recommending the factory service interval but using a lesser quality oil there will be issues. When a car requires synthetic to achieve 10-15k intervals and they use bulk what's gonna happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back