Budget 0W-20 andBudget Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: KingCake
A budget oil change is a $1.49 protec filter from rockauto and $9 supertech oil.

THAT is low budget.....OP, what budget did You have in mind?

I'm shooting for below $29 per OIC or less. I am glad everyone has liked the QSUD, I can get that at Walmart for 23.98 after Tax I was just affarid of it not being good enought for that distance with short trips.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
I'm shooting for below $29 per OIC or less. I am glad everyone has liked the QSUD, I can get that at Walmart for 23.98 after Tax I was just affarid of it not being good enough for that distance with short trips.

With the next QSUD rebate you'll be able to bring that down to $13.98. PP would be in the same range if WM continues with their Rollback pricing.

So for 1 bad filter you heard about, you wont use Fram? There are bad experiences with at least one filter from every brand so not sure of ur logic behind this...

Any midrange syn will work more then adequetly along with most any filter. Everyday low prices at WM or any major auto store with filter special should have you out door for about 29$. Also maybe consider filters direct from the dealer. I get oem's for 5.95$ in canada. They might even sell the oil cheap, TGMO 0w20 here is 5.55/qt. You have many options.

Originally Posted By: meborder
Curious, though.

What about the ultra do you not like internally?

this was posted about a Fram Ultra failing. If it cant handle being dropped or a fall off the shelf or being thrown at a UPS sortiment center, I dont want it in my car since you cant be sure its never been dropped or fell off a shelf.

"Well,
One thing i can say is that you guys are certainly passionate about the subject of filters.
Let me start with the "coil vs Leaf " spring debate. As I stated in a previous post, there are advantages and disadvantages to both designs according to our engineers. We use coils in our HD filters for example. Mann is currently running advertising touting the benefits of leafs, saying they help to position the cartridge in the can, they use both.
they both work.
Now, on to the problem filter. After close inspection, the leaf spring was fatigued and was the cause of the rattling. That said, we found a dent on the bottom of the filter indicating it had been dropped at some point in time. It may have happened at the store or who knows where. Difficult to see as it is under the sure grip. The cartridge in the Ultra is heavy and dropping it could cause the spring fatigue.
Mullick-
I would like to send you a case of Ultra filters in whatever part number you want for you trouble and help in getting this resolved. Just email me at [email protected] and I will ship them asap.
Sorry for the trouble.
[email protected] "

when you sell as many filters as fram you will have a bad apple or two. Ive ran 8k miles on an OCOD and it looked great. An ultra will certainly be overkill for your application. If you are buying your oil at walmart it only makes sense to find a decent filter there in your price range. It saves a trip to another store which is $ and time.

There are plenty of good filters at Walmart. The Fram XG series as well as the ultra. Select walmarts also carry bosch. If there is a filter that will cross over you may be able to go with a Ford Motorcraft filter. Excellent filters at a great price.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wasn't aware the Bosch filters tore like the Purolators. I have decided to order the wix from rockauto and go with the QSUD from wally world. I'm very glad I asked about the filter before I ordered 12 Bosch filters though!

My vote goes for Castrol Magnatec! The 0W-20 & 5W-20 versions are full synthetics. Otherwise, Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

My filter of choice would be the FRAM Tough Guard.

Anyone who insists on savings of $20/year on perhaps the most important maintenance of the engine should just stock up on the Autozone specials at the end of the year...build a $2/qt stash and a good $7 filter (an OEM will be just fine) and you have a $15, 4 quart-OC....to cheap out on a filter is a mistake...

go to menards buy a bosch filter for 4 bucks and QSUD when on sale 4.99 with a 2.00 per quart rebatefrom Menards and you can usually find a quakerstate rebate for 10 bucks puts you at a 15.00 OCI give or take a few cents

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Anyone who insists on savings of $20/year on perhaps the most important maintenance of the engine should just stock up on the Autozone specials at the end of the year...build a $2/qt stash and a good $7 filter (an OEM will be just fine) and you have a $15, 4 quart-OC....to cheap out on a filter is a mistake...

I'm saving way more than that. I'm going to be saving a minimum of $22 an OIC which will save me $132 a year. But I don't feel I'm switching to some low enough of a quality to hurt the longevity of how long I will want to own the car. I think QSUD and a WIX is better than what a lot of people use.

Last edited:

I'm saving way more than that. I'm going to be saving a minimum of $22 an OIC which will save me $132 a year. But I don't feel I'm switching to some low enough of a quality to hurt the longevity of how long I will want to own the car. I think QSUD and a WIX is better than what a lot of people use.

Doesn't WIX have lower efficiency than cheap filters?

I was able to pickup 15 WIX Filters for 2.75 a piece from rockauto. I would assume they will treat me well. Now I can afford PP and still come in under budget.

You can't go wrong with about any 0w-20 dexos1 oil anywhere you look. Maybe Castrol Magnatec has some small advantage there, more esters it is said, for start-up wear, and available at Walmart, ez to get.

Fram Ultra for sure, and I find it amazing how we (almost) all seem to agree on that. It's not going to happen often, enjoy the Kum Ba Yah moment while you can.

You could use any 0W-20 API SN oil with any midrange oil filter and engine life would remain the least of your concerns as to the life of the car as a whole.
If you really want these cars to last, think also about the transaxles, the cooling systems and the brake hydraulics.
More cars are junked due to automatic transmission failures than engine death and cooling system problems are the leading cause of roadside breakdowns.
Brakes are always nice to have as well.
It's good to take care of the engine with regular oil changes using quality oil and oil filters, but there are other things to consider in any effort to maintain any vehicle.

Walmart Supertec and a mid range filter for 7500 OCIs--Fram TG or equivalent. Or...you could go Supertec and Fram orange can at 5000 OCIs. Or--Supertec and a Fram Ultra and go 7500 OCIs on oil and 15k on filter changes.

There is some very reliable data to show changing the filter every other oil change or preferably on its on alternating interval opposit oil changes allows for substantially better oil filtering.

Remember kids, a slightly to moderately dirty filter weather it be oil, fuel, cabin or air filter cleans better than a brand spanking new one.

Yeah except super tech doesn't make 0w20, I would never use a fram, and not changing the filter would void my warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back