Bye Bye Scion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
cry.gif

Liked the new iM too...

http://www.motortrend.com/news/breaking-toyota-gives-scion-brand-the-axe/

Despite that article's fluffery, Scions were never edgy or rebellious. And, yeah, they were driven by old people who didn't think the nerdy looks were ironic.

Look on Craigslist or even a dealer website and it's a "Toyota Scion" not a "Scion xB."

I wonder how the dealers liked/ hated the no-haggle "competition" in the corners of their own showrooms.

Good riddance. Nothing ever made these vehicles special to deserve a different badge.

. Scion is a marketing fail that did not change buyer target audience. Toyota needs to find something interesting to appeal to millenials.

That is sad. My sister drives a 2009 xD and that is just a great little car. Not all that great to look at but well engineered and designed IMO. Drives great despite the lack of power and even though it was rated at 32 MPGs highway, whenever I had to borrow it or take care of it I easily got 37-38 MPGs.

No big loss, Junk introduced to attract the young folks, ie disguis a boring cheap under powered Toyota in hip sheet metal which was ugly as [censored].

Sucks that the Scion was the only way to get the new Mazda 2. Maybe Mazda will bring it here? I see it selling well for them ... once they get rid of the Toyota/Lexus ugly grille

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Good riddance. Nothing ever made these vehicles special to deserve a different badge.

. Scion is a marketing fail that did not change buyer target audience. Toyota needs to find something interesting to appeal to millenials.

The new fad in automotive marketing seems to be car-sharing. I predict the same outcome.

Toyota rammed this line of dogs down their resellers throats when they debuted.

If you were a Toyota dealer you were given quotas and forced to buy and market these on X % of your lot or you were punished and threatened with losing your dealership.

They weren't subtle about it.

13 year later and who knows how many untold millions in sales lost in mis direction while pushing this line they kill it.

This "pseudo brand" was a lose- lose for everyone involved right from the start.

UD

Last edited:
Seeing the recent trends in Toyota's advertising, trying to make cars like the Corolla appear hip and exciting, that goes right in the face of what the Scion branded cars were supposed to be, so no surprise Toyota decided to axe it as there is going to be little differentiation between the two brands now in the eyes of consumers that watch these ads.

Originally Posted By: dparm
That's sad, as it seems the new iA and iM were actually well-received.

Don't be too sad, those models will be moving to Toyota's lineup in addition to the FR-S and C-HR.

Toyota missed the boat with Scion, they could have really introduced some off beat cars and experimented a bit.

Instead they used the typical Toyota conservative cost cutting approach.

I'm not surprised the age demographic was around 49, Toyota is my generations Buick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Toyota missed the boat with Scion, they could have really introduced some off beat cars and experimented a bit.

Instead they used the typical Toyota conservative cost cutting approach.

Yeah, I was kind of interested at first, but then it became obvious that the whole line up was just different bodies on Toyota's regular platforms.
Oh well, maybe the F-RS will get really cheap.

The new one is a freaken Mazda. I can't believe Toyota is doing the same [censored] Ford and GM did that lead them into trouble.

Toyota made it clear in the late 90's that they did not like the "fickle" nature of consumers who buy interesting and exciting cars, and wanted nothing to do with them. They cranked out as many boring cars as possible that were guaranteed to be purchased by people who wanted appliances; cars with little or no passion.

These were the wrong people to start a car brand designed to appeal to young people. They could make all the commercials they wanted with thumping club music and "sexy" voices.

Toyota has never been in love with the idea of making vehicles that required constant attention to style and appeal in order to remain competitive. They like to make long-run models that people will buy "because it's a Toyota".

It would only be better if the headline read, 'Last Scion XB in existence crushed today.' Though it begs the question, how could you actually tell from the resulting shape?' ;-)

That's one of the vehicles (like the Volvo 240 and Kia Soul) that always makes me wonder what the cause/effect mechanism was... did the vehicle itself cause the absolute worst driving habits, or did it somehow attract terrible drivers to buy it? The Element and Cube were just as ugly but didn't have the idiot driver problem.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
It would only be better if the headline read, 'Last Scion XB in existence crushed today.' Though it begs the question, how could you actually tell from the resulting shape?' ;-)

Funny you mention this. My primary thought after winning the powerball was to purchase every single 2017 Honda Ridgeline and crush them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back