Honda issues stop sale on 2016 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The all-new 2016 Honda Civic just hit the dealer lots and already it’s having problems. Late last week Honda announced a stop-sale order on new Civics with the 2.0-liter engine “due to potentially missing or misset piston pin snap rings that may cause engine stall or failure.”

Read more here .

*sigh*

The once mighty are falling. I have had zero issues with my three 2008 or older Honda's. I will drive my 2005 until it costs more to fix than it would be for a payment.

But their reliability is dropping for certain per the red and black circle magazine/website that many here hate. The problem is they're RIGHT for those that hate.

Honda being high quality is a bit of a myth. They've been plagued with engine/transmission/air condition compressor problems since the 80s.

The problem is that the vendors are NOT doing their jobs right, I can tell you from personal experience that contract temporary workers (which no doubt were involved in the production of the engine) don't give a fiddlers [censored] about the jobs they do, even critical ones such as this, and many of them are completely incapable of doing the jobs they have in a remotely competent manner.... the automotive industry is facing SERIOUS issues if they continue to cuts costs to the bone, as you can see, the results are now reversing the long trend of increasing reliability. Honda is NOT immune to the stupid foibles of the idiot MBAs that decide such things.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Honda being high quality is a bit of a myth. They've been plagued with engine/transmission/air condition compressor problems since the 80s.

+1

No they were not, I was there at the local dealership during the 80s until the early 90s, and Honda products in general were VERY reliable, and consistent in their excellent quality, and attention to detail.
I don't ever recall such problems in all my years at a couple of Honda stores and I did work in the service department.

The issue is that Honda has lost the plot and they have yet to admit it and look back at the best years and use them as the yardstick for the future products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
The problem is that the vendors are NOT doing their jobs right, I can tell you from personal experience that contract temporary workers (which no doubt were involved in the production of the engine) don't give a fiddlers [censored] about the jobs they do, even critical ones such as this, and many of them are completely incapable of doing the jobs they have in a remotely competent manner.... the automotive industry is facing SERIOUS issues if they continue to cuts costs to the bone, as you can see, the results are now reversing the long trend of increasing reliability. Honda is NOT immune to the stupid foibles of the idiot MBAs that decide such things.

Hear hear.
I think we're going to see continued lesser reliability across all vehicles as costs are cut. Eventually everything will be "average" and below and people will throw them away like toasters and coffee makers when they go bad.

No they were not, I was there at the local dealership during the 80s until the early 90s, and Honda products in general were VERY reliable, and consistent in their excellent quality, and attention to detail.
I don't ever recall such problems in all my years at a couple of Honda stores and I did work in the service department.

The issue is that Honda has lost the plot and they have yet to admit it and look back at the best years and use them as the yardstick for the future products.

Yeah because the dealers turned away people with rod knock and broken trannies. You guys only got to do air filters and oil changes lol.

You couldn't keep a body panel on them up here, they'd start rusting when they rolled off the lot.

I don't know, Toyota engines have been made all by automation for a long time I read. Raw materials go into the huge factory, engines come out. Honda probably does something similar. I bet this is another case of computer error rather than human. Computers just don't care.

Am I wrong to believe this is a condition of the China Syndrome? And I'm not bashing the Chinese here (not a PC issue to me) but I am calling out the cheapest bidder philosophy and the bulk does come from China.

It can be remedied. Think power tools and Asia. Before the conglomerate took hold Delta, Powermatic, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, DeWalt were all singlle companies feeling out Asia. Delta broke that ground. With American engineering and Americans to oversee the quality of the products became [censored] good.

Modern era we have to readjust and bring our expertise to fruition but in a more nationalistic way. IMHO.

I agree. I have an RSX-S, and it blew it's a/c compressor out at 140k miles and it has a notorious 3rd gear grind, [censored] tps sensor, bad starter, blower motor failure, vtec solenoid failure, door actuators, burns oil, clearcoat failure etc. Replacement parts are pricey too, since most are dealer only.

Meanwhile, all 5 Nissans I have owned, have been great.

I won't buy another Honda again.

Last edited:
Honda vehicles designed/engineered/tested/manufactured in Japan seem to have better quality/reliability than the ones designed/engineered/tested/manufactured in US.

Same for other Japanese brands.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Honda vehicles designed/engineered/tested/manufactured in Japan seem to have better quality/reliability than the ones designed/engineered/tested/manufactured in US.

Same for other Japanese brands.

I agree, in the experience I have had with my old Prelude and current TSX. They seem to just hold up better and have less things go wrong.

This issue is in regard to missing wrist pin retainer clips. That's a huge faux pas. How they intend to borescope this particular area is beyond me. I guess they can just look into the cylinder through the plug hole and check for wear on the cylinder wall or pull the oil pan and look for debris.

This is not a good reflection on Honda. Improperly assembled or negligent assembly shows a lack of quality control at their facility. Hopefully this was a very short run for them and they know which serial numbers are affected.

Within a 90 minute drive from here, Honda has 2 assembly plants, an engine plant, and a transmission plant, along with many suppliers owned and run by unrelated (wink wink) Japanese companies. ALL of them hire through temp services. Starting around $9/hr, no benefits. They all promise if you make it to 2 years, you'll be hired on as a regular employee. But every person I've known who has worked there, gets mysteriously let go at least a couple months shy... With more suckers lining up for their jobs...

Also, Honda in the 35 or so years they have been operating in OH, haven't paid one cent in property taxes. They have made it quite clear, that if their abatement goes away, so will they...

I'm not sure about what year of which car is the best but my 84 Honda Civic is still doing well. I've planned on getting rid of it as soon as the repairs got out of hand. That has not happened, yet. It's only 32 years old this year and has not even hit a half a million miles, yet and it's still my daily driver.

One measure of quality is that all the little stuff is still working, like the windshield wipers, window regulators, heater controls and other things.

Our 08 CRV has been great. All four door lock actuators were replaced by me. The heater quit working and replaced the controler. AC went out but luckily I replaced the relays with updated ones and two years later it hasn't given us any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back