Time for new tires? Or hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am torn between enjoying that new tire smell, and squeezing more miles out of my current tires. I have about 67,500 miles on my Tacoma's OE Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tires. Not bad for tires with a tread wear rating of 300. They have been decent tires, but are looking a little rough after 4 years and so many miles. Should I change them now or go another Spring and Summer? Also, I'm not quite sure how to post photos so they show up here. That's why the links to
Flickr.
https://flic.kr/p/Dj8Ze1
https://flic.kr/p/CNKcsd
https://flic.kr/p/DzQRsQ
https://flic.kr/p/DHWhzQ

Those tires have been toast for a while, probably back around 50K miles. There's a LOT of sidewall cracking as well as cracking inside the treads. Those tires could blow out on you at any time. I would get new tires asap and keep the speed down on those until you do. The deep circumferential cracking on the side walls along the lettering is the biggest issue.

Yeah, get some new tires as soon as you can afford to. When you get your refund check, use it towards the tires.

If money is tight, Walmart has the Douglas tires for $54 each.

But you should get better tires if you can afford them. I like the Dunlop Signature II. There's also the popular Altimax RT43, and Yokohama makes good tires like the Avid Touring S.

I would not skimp on a safety item like tires. Get the best tires you can afford. Those are looking like a blowout is in your future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Those tires have been toast for a while, probably back around 50K miles. There's a LOT of sidewall cracking as well as cracking inside the treads. Those tires could blow out on you at any time. I would get new tires asap and keep the speed down on those until you do. The deep circumferential cracking on the side walls along the lettering is the biggest issue.

I dont think they are quite that bad.. however it is time for some new tires.. you got your money's worth out of those and there are plenty of better tires out there.

Looks between 3 and 4/32 by the pictures, combine that with the cracking and you've got issues. I'm sure your wet traction is gone plus the possibility of a blowout. If you never go over 45 mph you can limp them to the wear bars.

At least one shoulder block is worn right into the side wall with essentially all tread gone there. That's pretty far gone to me. An alignment is probably needed as well.

That's a lot of dry cracking for only 4 years old. When I replaced my 12 yr old Michelins in 2014 at 52K miles, they had minor cracking in some spots and down to about 3/32 or 4/32 on tread. I didn't go any further because of inner tread and sidewall cracking which I had missed up to that point.

Tires and brakes are no place to gamble. Even crummy NEW versions are better than nearly worn-out OLD versions.

And then I went back and looked at your pictures. GET NEW TIRES.

Last edited:
No cords - no problem. Cords? Keep it under 70
laugh.gif
I have 10+yrs on tires on the beretta in worse shape and didn't even think of replacing
smile.gif

Seriously, I'd only change them if I drive deep snow/mud daily, or have to depend on fast/aggressive driving daily. Otherwise I don't worry. I run mine like they owe me money, cuz they kinda do. Last time I spent over 1300 on a set, and they were directional+staggered, so can't even rotate. Not looking forward to a new set. Might have better luck/price getting CL rim+tires.

Those tire are shot, especially in the first picture. It's not how much tread you have in the center, if there's 0 tread on the shoulder, it's basically a bald tire. On some turn, it doesn't matter if there's tread in the center, if the tire blows out from the shoulder it's still a flat.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Those tires have served you well, time to retire them.

Pun intended.

+1. The law states there must be a minimum of 2/32" across the entire width. The outer tread blocks are below that.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Those tire are shot, especially in the first picture. It's not how much tread you have in the center, if there's 0 tread on the shoulder, it's basically a bald tire. On some turn, it doesn't matter if there's tread in the center, if the tire blows out from the shoulder it's still a flat.

Some tires will have 10/32 of circumferential tread depth in the center treads and less, like 8/32, of perpendicular tread on the shoulders so the shoulders don't squirm as much. So when a tire is nearly shot the shoulders look bald/ terrible first. There could still be a few 1/32s of solid rubber before hitting the cords.

That said these tires are shaming you into replacement. Wait for a sale and take the hint.

1) Think of the minor inconvenience when you find your first "old tire flat" some morning.
2) Think of the greater inconvenience and danger when you get a flat whilst driving.
3) Think how incredibly foolish you'll feel when you get a flat at speed.
4) Think about how liable you'd be if your flat involved another car in any way.

VISUAL: A baby holding a puppy in the back seat of your car.

Those tires don't owe you a dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back