Ranger power steering fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's definitely an unusual configuration, but not the first I have seen like that. Though a power driver seat was optional for a time, Ford dropped it from the option list completely in 1998. Even when they started offering leather seats in 2006 or so, power was still off the menu.

I believe the only purpose of the damper is for NVH...it just keeps the drivetrain operating smoothly. Ford has put similar weights and dampers on differentials and such on various other models too.

thanks. Some issues to fix- 4X4 not working, door ajar light stays on, and interior light not working. Original owner installed a gun rack to the roof by drilling through roof. That may explain light problems.

The previous owner probably took the bulbs out of the dome light due to the door ajar light staying on. Does the truck have the rear half doors? This issue is much more common on the four door Super Cabs. The issue is with the switch which is in the latch assembly. I have heard of people having success cleaning it out and lubricating it with something like silicone spray, then slamming the doors hard to free the switch. Some people use WD40, but I'd probably choose something else. I haven't had to do this myself, so I'm not familiar with the best method for cleaning and lubricating the switch...my truck is the 2-door Super Cab.

I believe there is also a switch in the lower latch for the rear doors.

The first suspect with 4WD that won't engage is the shift motor on the side of the transfer case. Is it flashing the 4WD lights in the gauge cluster?

I was considering changing the PS fluid in my '01 Ranger today. So all I need to do is suck out the old fluid and pour in some new fluid, such as Maxlife ATF? Do I need to worry about air in the system?

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
I was considering changing the PS fluid in my '01 Ranger today. So all I need to do is suck out the old fluid and pour in some new fluid, such as Maxlife ATF? Do I need to worry about air in the system?

If you get a little bit of air in the system, steering back and forth several times should bleed out all the air in the system.

However, I have heard that on some Fords, this doesn't always happen, and the solution is to apply vacuum to the P/S reservoir. I have worked on many Fords but I never had that problem.

Your Ford will take Mercon ATF as power steering fluid. Buy a high quality synthetic ATF and it will extend the life of your power steering system. Since friction modifiers don't serve any purpose in a power steering system, I have used ATF+4 and Dexron VI in power steering systems that don't call for it and never had problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back