Budget 0W-20 andBudget Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! First kid on the way so im looking at value priced 0W-20. For use in a 2013 Lancer and a 2015 Mirage. will be doing 4 months or 7500 Mile OICs. Mirage is stop and go'd Quite a bit. Trying to choose a budget filter too. I was trying to choose between the Bosch Premium and a WIX. I would like to use only SOPUS products for oil. I was thinking about using the QSUD but wasnt sure if the TBN would be high enough for the mirage. If not I was think PP. I was previously using PUP/Amsoil SS with a RP/Amsoil Filter combos. I would like to stay away from FRAM filters.

PP or M1 for the oil and a Fram Ultra. There really isnt any way to go wrong with that combination. I wont let other Fram products near my cars but for $8 or $9 you cant beat the Ultras for the money. Run one, cut the top off with a hacksaw afterwards to examine the components and you will see why they have become a favorite of BITOG.

Plenty of people here run them for 15k miles without issue, so you could save yourself some dough there running it for two OCIs.

Originally Posted By: skaughtz
PP or M1 for the oil and a Fram Ultra. There really isnt any way to go wrong with that combination. I wont let other Fram products near my cars but for $8 or $9 you cant beat the Ultras for the money. Run one, cut the top off with a hacksaw afterwards to examine the components and you will see why they have become a favorite of BITOG.

Plenty of people here run them for 15k miles without issue, so you could save yourself some dough there running it for two OCIs.

I'm not interested in voiding my warranties by not replacing filter. I have a FRAM ultra in my stash I dont care for the way it looks internally so its just been sitting on the shelf.I can get the Bosch Premium from Rock Auto for 3.64 a piece, WIX is 4.90, Mann 2.66. I used Mann with both my Passats with great sucess but it seems a lot cheaper for the Mitsubishis

The AAP QSUD deal with 5 qts + filter for $20 is a "budget" way to go. And if QS is offering a $10 rebate at that time...the cost is less than $2/qt. The last QS/PP rebate period ended in December. I purchased 15 qts of QSUD/PP the past 2 months on those deals netting out around $2/qt.

Pennzoil, QS, and M1 offered $10-$12 rebates/5 qt jug this past year. Just check in on the rebate forum once a month to see if anything is on sale or clearance.

A budget oil change is a $1.49 protec filter from rockauto and $9 supertech oil.

I'd be looking at magnetec and a Napa gold if it were my car. Far better value than qsud, imo.

Curious, though.

What about the ultra do you not like internally?

Originally Posted By: KingCake
How is an M1 filter or Bosch Premium a budget filter?

Well the RP filters I have been using are 14.99 a piece so the listed filters from rockauto are budget priced to me.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
How is an M1 filter or Bosch Premium a budget filter?

Well the RP filters I have been using are 14.99 a piece so the listed filters from rockauto are budget priced to me.

LOLOLOLOL

Originally Posted By: meborder
Curious, though.

What about the ultra do you not like internally?

this was posted about a Fram Ultra failing. If it cant handle being dropped or a fall off the shelf or being thrown at a UPS sortiment center, I dont want it in my car since you cant be sure its never been dropped or fell off a shelf.

"Well,
One thing i can say is that you guys are certainly passionate about the subject of filters.
Let me start with the "coil vs Leaf " spring debate. As I stated in a previous post, there are advantages and disadvantages to both designs according to our engineers. We use coils in our HD filters for example. Mann is currently running advertising touting the benefits of leafs, saying they help to position the cartridge in the can, they use both.
they both work.
Now, on to the problem filter. After close inspection, the leaf spring was fatigued and was the cause of the rattling. That said, we found a dent on the bottom of the filter indicating it had been dropped at some point in time. It may have happened at the store or who knows where. Difficult to see as it is under the sure grip. The cartridge in the Ultra is heavy and dropping it could cause the spring fatigue.
Mullick-
I would like to send you a case of Ultra filters in whatever part number you want for you trouble and help in getting this resolved. Just email me at [email protected] and I will ship them asap.
Sorry for the trouble.
[email protected] "

Overthinking it man...ultras/tough guards are solid, grab some qsud and be done....

A budget oil change is a $1.49 protec filter from rockauto and $9 supertech oil.

That's more than what my next oil change on QSUD will cost me ($10 with filter). A synthetic oil change in the $10-$22 range with filter included is budget enough for me. And that $22 "high end" includes a Fram Ultra filter ($7.98 at Bennies).

I'd agree that $1.49 is a "budget" filter. None of those will typically ever make it into a car I drive. And if they did, it would be only for at most a 2K-3K OCI.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

That's more than what my next oil change on QSUD will cost me ($10 with filter). A synthetic oil change in the $10-$22 range with filter included is budget enough for me. And that $22 "high end" includes a Fram Ultra filter ($7.98 at Bennies).

I'd agree that $1.49 is a "budget" filter. None of those will typically ever make it into a car I drive. And if they did, it would be only for at most a 2K-3K OCI.

I also like to throw money into the garbage.

THAT is low budget.....OP, what budget did You have in mind?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I also like to throw money into the garbage.

I would agree that if you're spending $10.49 for an oil change on a cheapo filter and the most basic conventional, that you're tossing money in the garbage on the longevity of your engine....unless you're vehicle is a beater/oil guzzler. I'm willing to spend the "high cost" of $20 for PP+Fram ultra to help protect my $3K engine. That's money well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back