Got the oil picked for the new rig...Valvoline WB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your insane if you follow that OLM. You people really take following directions like Lemmings. Seriously, you can get oil cheap, change oil yourself and you are still going to let a monitor control when you change oil,I have to question that OLM. I think it's Bull. My assessment, its for dumb people, to lazy to actually establish a maintinence program. I can tell you I do everything to qualify for super severe service at 5000 miles, I am still at 50 % life. You all put to much faith in some therory based mechanical engineer. In my vehicle, I play it safe, oil is cheap, filters are cheap, takes 15 minutes. 5000 miles max. Regardless, on all vehicles. That's my maintinence program and it always worked well. 193,000 miles and oil stays clean and doesn't use a drop between changes.

I was one of the ones getting a couple of Ford V8 sedans past the 200K point on Quick Lube SL/SM conventional oils. A lot of those were Valvoline with some QS and Pennz. Does that mean it's the optimum price per dollar spent? Nope.

There's no doubt synthetic has superior qualities to conventional, regardless of your OCI lengths (2K-15K). When the oil companies are tripping over themselves offering synthetics essentially at the same price or less than the conventionals, then it's a no brainer I'm going to use the synthetics. I can buy jugs of PYB, QSAD, VWB, M5K, etc. for $12-$16. I can also buy jugs of their synthetics at $10-$13/jug when discounts and rebates are in effect. I don't even have to think this one out. It's synthetic until the mfg's stop offering these deals...OR...offers as many deals on the conventionals and giving those away for a net of $6/jug.

My last VWB oil change on my DD ran me $16.74 for the jug bought at WM before I knew Bitog existed. The most recent oil change with PP cost me $12.64. Not a hard choice.

I think that's the key. Not whether you use synthetic or conventional. Get whatever is the best deal and change it more often. You will be way ahead of the game. It's not like there is a oil shortage. Geez.

There's so many fleet trucks that get bulk oil and the cheapest of the cheap filter. Ford doesn't call for a synthetic explicitly(or there would be a label like what BMW or Mercedes does that calls for OEM synthetic or M1, or a marked oil cap saying so). He has a block heater as well. The 5W-30 will be fine, but UOAs won't hurt either.

Now, if it was a Toyota I'd run synthetic exclusively.

It's not Ford related, but I can get my hands on VWB for $13.88 Canadian (US $10), is it worth adding 2-3 jugs of VWB into my stash for that price?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Your insane if you follow that OLM. You people really take following directions like Lemmings.

Insane is not changing your habits for changing conditions and circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think that's the key. Not whether you use synthetic or conventional. Get whatever is the best deal and change it more often. You will be way ahead of the game. It's not like there is a oil shortage. Geez.

It may not be a shortage per say, It may be more of a disposal issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back