Turtle wax ice question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used some Turtle Wax paste a few times that the former owner of my house left behind. The can is dated 1981 and we moved in during 1991. It seems to last 4-6 months though you can start to see a weakening in the beading after a couple months. I hope they've improved the product in the intervening 34 years. Most of the cheaper paste and liquid waxes I've used last about the same.

If you're looking for something that lasts, do yourself a favor and buy Nu Finish. I use turtle wax ice spray after car washes and it gives a nice added shine. Recommended.

If you are referring to the synthetic paste wax TW Ice that is labeled as a polish on its own packaging, I have used it with good results. It's a good synthetic wax that won't stain trim, and in fact I use specifically on my trim many times. I can't speak to its longevity as I am always using a wax-as-u-dry spray wax after car wash, so none of my waxes ever really wear out. Eventually I'll just want to try a different one and remove the previous one, which is the only way any of my wax jobs ever comes to an end on my car.

If it is the 'polish' you have, don't pay any attention to that label. I don't know why it's labeled as such, but it is clearly a synthetic wax. Reading the directions for application can quickly confirm that. Either way, don't put it on a DA polisher pad and expect to remove clear coat swirls because their is no abrasives in it like a real polish would have. It would only lay down a thick coat of synthetic wax if you were to do that.

I've never tried the Ice paste wax, but the Ice spray wax will bead water well for around 2 months. I usually apply Nu Finish yearly then use Ice spray wax every 1-2 months. My cars always bead water excellent.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
If you're looking for something that lasts, do yourself a favor and buy Nu Finish. I use turtle wax ice spray after car washes and it gives a nice added shine. Recommended.

Nufinish is a better OTC finish product. Turtle wax as you dry is pretty good and I do like zipwax (car wash) but most of their stuff isn't that great.

Lately as the quick and easy way I've been using Meguiars synthetic X-press wax. Just spray and wipe. You don't have to worry about overspray on black plastic parts or windows. It just wipes off easily. Since it's so fast and easy to apply you can apply it more periodically.

Just look up meguiars synthetic xpress wax on Amazon.

Last edited:
Meguiars Ultimate in my area is similar in price and much more durable.

Best yet is Duragloss TPP, which I get on Amazon really cheap. It is my go to wax and I get 6 months durability out of it.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Meguiars Ultimate in my area is similar in price and much more durable.

Best yet is Duragloss TPP, which I get on Amazon really cheap. It is my go to wax and I get 6 months durability out of it.

It's amazing to me how many people continue to use these products sold at Wal-Mart, when there are clearly better products available...Duragloss, Zaino, Collinite, and Klasse all make much better waxes/polishes, and yet people keep going for the inferior stuff. I wonder if it's just because some of these products are only available online? I really don't get why these products have not become more mainstream by now....

Originally Posted By: grampi
Lasts longer...

AND look better
grin2.gif

and are easier to work with, some of my faves HD speed, carpro h20, menzerna poly-lock, sonax. and my favorite car wash and i have used them all Barret jackson. Keep it clean and mean.

I agree about people buying whatever they find at the big box store. The only wax I would buy from Wal-Mart is Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. It is a good product, but for less money, you can order Collinite 845 or Finish Kare 1000P online...far superior products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back