Kia Rio Steering problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2006 base model Kia Rio 5 speed. The engine and gearbox are strong but there is something wrong with the steering. It is a non-power steering model. I've driven jeeps without PS before but this is something else. No creaks or groans but it is exceptionally stiff. I know that this is not normal. Any suggestions? Thanks

Originally Posted By: gregk24
They made cars w/o p/s in 2006?

Yeah...Kia Rios!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
They made cars w/o p/s in 2006?

Yes, they did, the thing is they didn't do this to make make the steering more tactile like they did some VW models until the mid-late 90s, instead Kia and Hyundai did it make the cars cheaper, the manual steering in those models are dull, heavy, and have a wide turning radius as well, [censored] cars.

Be thankful its not a KIA Soul,they recalled those for the glue that holds the internal gears on the pinion for not setting up properly! I guess like the early Cruze cars for the glued on steering wheels popping off.

On a friend's '04 Malibu with manual steering, we greased the tie rods and it was like night and day. Do you have zerk fittings on your tie rods? Googling says it comes factory with none, but A/M replacements sometimes have them.

I finally got around to getting my car into the garage. The steering wheel is light with the front of the car lifted however there is a groaning noise when turning the wheels both ways. There is a fair amount of rust on the rack from what I can see. The accordion rubber boots on the outer and inner tie rods appear intact. Is the rack bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back