Shoe sole keep falling apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a pair of Florsheim leather top (rubber like sole) shoes that was fine for the first 10 years and finally the bonding between the sole and the top fell apart. I brought it in to a shoe repair store, one of the guy glue it back and it fell apart after wearing it 3 times. Then I brought it back in and another guy complained that the sole is plastic and that's why it doesn't stick. He told me to come back in 2 days and I came back 1 week later to pick it up. This time it too fell off after wearing it twice.

Did the repair shop use the wrong kind of glue? or was it just low quality? (The shoe was made in the late 90s).

A cobbler told me once when the sole does not stick, there could be a fungus between the sole and shoe. Even if the shoe looks and smells good.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Shoe sole keep falling apart...shoes that was fine for the first 10 years

Buy new shoes? Do you sew patches in your underwear or do you replace them?

I still occasionally wear a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes with Vibram soles that are 19 years old. If they wear out, I mail them back to the factory to be rebuilt. No d-bag cobblers for me.

If you want some top quality high end dress shoes,make sure the sole is sewn/stitched on and not glued on.

Originally Posted By: flanso
Though I have never used it, I have heard good things about a product named Shoe Goo.

Shoe Goo got me a few more months use on a pair of sneakers but it is hard not to be messy with this stuff.

Shoe Goo or Goop is great, but if the sole has been glued before, you will need to remove the old glue in order to get a bond.
Probably worth trying.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Buy new shoes? Do you sew patches in your underwear or do you replace them?

Sometimes, a good pair of shoes is comfortable and high end enough to hang onto and repair. 99% of them aren't. Twenty years ago, I decided to replace my eight year old dress shoes whose soles was worn terribly. The new shoes never had the comfort, no matter how much I wore them. The style was essentially the same, which is why I bought the second pair in the first place.

I got rid of the second pair in under six months. The other set is around twenty-eight years old, and I still have them and had them resoled as needed. Some shoes deserve to be thrown out. Some aren't worth it. Some are.

Hot glue gun works the best. I've repaired some boots in a pinch and it seemed to hold up. Sometimes, it just seems like a shame to throw still nice shoes out. I had some Carharrt boots that were so comfortable. I sewed them with fishing line when they split, hot glued them on the soles. One time, a manager looked at my shoes and gave me the hobo look. I thought maybe it's time to let them go.

easy. Take the shoes to a real shoe repair shop and have them re-soled.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
easy. Take the shoes to a real shoe repair shop and have them re-soled.

I had a pair of shark skin boots once I loved. Had them resoled by a boot shop and when they resoled they pulled the skin tighter. Boots were so uncomfortable after that. Also, you usually buy new for about $20 more than a resole. Just doesn't make sense, hence the lack of shoe repair stores.

The repair guy said he'll do it again but not telling me how will he do it differently the 3rd time around. Let's see how long this holds up, if it doesn't maybe I will try the Permatex and see how it goes. I have blue at home, should I use it on the shoe or should I buy the clear one?

I've recently fixed 3 pairs of shoes where the soles separated from body. First I tried hot glue. Didn't stick well over time. That was surprising. Then decided to escalate to Sonneborn NP1, which is a urethane construction adhesive/sealant that remains flexible when cured. It's worked great in all three cases. It'll take overnight to cure. Most tenacious adhesive I've ever used.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I've recently fixed 3 pairs of shoes where the soles separated from body. First I tried hot glue. Didn't stick well over time. That was surprising. Then decided to escalate to Sonneborn NP1, which is a urethane construction adhesive/sealant that remains flexible when cured. It's worked great in all three cases. It'll take overnight to cure. Most tenacious adhesive I've ever used.

OP,
also don't forget you have to REALLY REALLY clean the old glue/adhesive remnants!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back