Untimely demise of a 3.6 Pentastar in a Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shop is going to bother compression testing that before saying it needs a new engine. If you have free time, sure, do it for [censored] and giggles, but that thing is done.

I'm surprised they even went ahead with replacing the oil contraption, but sometimes you just need it to limp along a little longer. Those types of oil filter housings are getting pretty common. V6 Camaros have a similar Hengst glob of plastic hanging off them that sometimes breaks. Not real common, but common enough. I'm not against cartridge filters in general or even the use of composites/plastics in general, but some of these oil filter set ups are getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
No shop is going to bother compression testing that before saying it needs a new engine. If you have free time, sure, do it for [censored] and giggles, but that thing is done.

I'm surprised they even went ahead with replacing the oil contraption, but sometimes you just need it to limp along a little longer. Those types of oil filter housings are getting pretty common. V6 Camaros have a similar Hengst glob of plastic hanging off them that sometimes breaks. Not real common, but common enough. I'm not against cartridge filters in general or even the use of composites/plastics in general, but some of these oil filter set ups are getting ridiculous.

I've seen enough awesome composite pieces be replaced by an "improved" cast aluminum part that I tend to keep one squinty eye on composite load bearing pieces.

There's a company that started making marine transmissions of of composite. No. It was not good.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
a compression test would be a better evidence vs spit balling.

It burns a quart every 100 miles and the intake is full of dirt. I'll save you the effort it has low compression. But that's not really the problem here, a gas motor will run along just fine with low compression.

Pretty much. Especially with 109k miles on a gas engine that looks like that? It's like putting dirty paper towels in the washing machine at this point. Any money invested should be toward a new engine.

I deal with the same thing all of the time when a boat engine turns up full of water and rust. People want us to flush it out and try to get it running.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
This guy is a rural mail carrier an the majority of his route is gravel travel. 75 miles a day.

Low speeds, lots of stops. I imagine that engine bay would be swimming in dust much of the time.

Not spit balling... Seen it enough times before in engines in various applications. Shes done... Stick a fork in it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
OP, you by chance arent Eric the Car Guy from Youtube are you??

I am not. I am Eric and I am a car guy... well, cars, trucks, tractors, boats, quads, snowmobiles or about anything mechanical.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I'm surprised they even went ahead with replacing the oil contraption, but sometimes you just need it to limp along a little longer.

You're correct. The thing sucked in a ton of dust, is burning oil like mad and is choking on it's own blow by. No sense in wasting more time/money.

Like I said, I too was a bit surprised he wanted to continue with fixing the leak, but it's not my call.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
This guy is a rural mail carrier an the majority of his route is gravel travel. 75 miles a day.

Low speeds, lots of stops. I imagine that engine bay would be swimming in dust much of the time.

You'd think that, and at times you'd probably be correct, but I've seen him drive and you'd swear he was related to Mario Andretti! He really gets with it.

Maybe..er..divert the blowby into a catcher/oil separator to buy a little more time?

A rural mail carrier isn't going to be contributing much to any urban smog.

OTOH if he let that happen, he probably isn't much into DIY, and its not something a shop could do.

I've seen him drive and you'd swear he was related to Mario Andretti! He really gets with it.

Then it's even worse. Every time he stops for a mailbox, the dust kicked up by his front wheels will backwash and end up in the engine compartment.

We have lots of roads around my area with gravel/dirt shoulders, and I see that backwashed dust all the time with our own mailmen on dry days: Every time they stop, they end up in a cloud of dust.

Let's see......1/2 qt per 75 miles = 1 qt per 150 miles. If he gets 25 miles to the gallon he's using 1/6th of a quart of oil per gallon of gas: that's approaching 2 stroke levels of oil/ fuel ratio....

If my math is correct...

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

It burns a quart every 100 miles and the intake is full of dirt. I'll save you the effort it has low compression. But that's not really the problem here, a gas motor will run along just fine with low compression.

Pretty much. Especially with 109k miles on a gas engine that looks like that? It's like putting dirty paper towels in the washing machine at this point. Any money invested should be toward a new engine.

I deal with the same thing all of the time when a boat engine turns up full of water and rust. People want us to flush it out and try to get it running.
crackmeup2.gif

My cousin had one like that...a 440 Chrysler in an old ski boat a dude GAVE him if he'd take it away. It had been sitting for years when it wouldn't turn over after the boat capsized, and looked like a giant ball of rust and dirt. He pulled the heads to start a teardown, and found that it had pushed out both gaskets when it sucked water. Also finding fairly-good standard bores, he decided to see if he could get it to run...soaked the rings in Liquid Wrench, cleaned up the heads, pulled and cleaned the oil pan, replaced the totally-rusted lifters.

A week later, it fired up. The only parts he bought were a gasket set, an oil pump, lifters, and a can of paint. (Yes, he even reused the plugs and wires.) It still runs fine.

Honestly...for $4000+, I would at least TRY to save that engine. Considering the giant oil leak, I wonder how much is actually BURNS.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Let's see......1/2 qt per 75 miles = 1 qt per 150 miles. If he gets 25 miles to the gallon he's using 1/6th of a quart of oil per gallon of gas: that's approaching 2 stroke levels of oil/ fuel ratio....

If my math is correct...

For rural mail delivery...if he gets 12MPG I would be amazed!

Pretty unlikely as the oil consumption issue precedes the oil leak by a fair amount of time. I know I didn't make that clear in the initial post.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Honestly...for $4000+, I would at least TRY to save that engine. Considering the giant oil leak, I wonder how much is actually BURNS.

See above.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: double vanos

If my math is correct...

For rural mail delivery...if he gets 12MPG I would be amazed!

I was thinking the same.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I've seen him drive and you'd swear he was related to Mario Andretti! He really gets with it.

Then it's even worse. Every time he stops for a mailbox, the dust kicked up by his front wheels will backwash and end up in the engine compartment.

We have lots of roads around my area with gravel/dirt shoulders, and I see that backwashed dust all the time with our own mailmen on dry days: Every time they stop, they end up in a cloud of dust.

The factory air filter should take care of it, clearly their was an air filter failure at some point which caused all of the dirt ingestion.

This is actually a perfect application for a filter minder, NFW in this use will you get to the factory 30k mile change interval.

It is a 2013

Interesting. Where was the crack located on the cooler? Many of the Wrangler forums have reported the oil cooler cracking underneath or on the rear with 2014-2016 models. This is not caused from over torquing the filter, since the cracks are usually at the rear of the cooler. Some have cracked with as little as 900 miles on them. Chrysler still doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

Many claim that the design changed for the 2014 model year and that is why many 2014s crack, but if that one is a 2013 then the older style can crack also.
crazy.gif

To be honest, I didn't look too closely. Just saw that it was covered in oil and called for authorization to replace. If I had to guess- I'd say where the cooler met the lower half of the body. As if the o-rings or seals were leaking there as that's where the majority of the oil was located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back