castrol edge gold bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
so AAP has a special on the gold bottle of castrol edge and the new purolator boss oil filter. it mite be a little overkill in my application because my OLM will prob not go 15K till it goes off. the PP 0w20 is prob doing its job. reason i want to put an EP oil in the car is because its a GDI motor and they can be hard on oil. what do you guys think?

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd rather have PP.

+1

PP with the boss filter is $3 cheaper. why would you prefer PP over the Castrol edge?

In all honesty sir; I would go what your OLM says and sample and decide from there. It's rated or "guaranteed" for 15k. Might be wrong. I had EDGE black jug in for 9,400 miles and it did fine. My OLM says 7,500 normal driving. Bbhero can shed more light on this. Bbhero, where art thou?

The oils with extra detergents to get extended drain capabilities must trade off in another category. More detergents will fight with the antiwear additives for metal, so the things that make it good for extended drains make it slightly worse for normal drains. It's likely immeasurable but the fact is every element is competing in the additive package and running extended drain oils for less than intended offers no extra benefit if you ask me.

Also a friendly reminder to make sure whatever oil you use is the correct fluid for your vehicles requirements such as viscosity grade and certifications such as API SN, GF5, etc.

901Memphis: thanks for the valuable info sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
I'll take PP without the BOSS or whatever trash Puro is calling their "filters"

You don't feel strongly about it do you?

The Purolator Boss looks top notch.

Surely Purolator can rise from the ashes just like FRAM did with their FRAM Ultra.

When FRAM screws them together right and in non-euro applications, the Ultra can be an excellent filter.

For oil, PP is very hard to beat.

"Looks" is saying it very lightly. I have seen enough b.s. To last me a while. Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick with a winneing combo or Tough Guard and or ULTRA

When Purolator told Texan4Life to go away; that was a real slap in the face. That's all I have to say and Texan4Life didn't deserve a slap like that

another Q. the old myth of switching between dino oil and syn oil is a myth. switching between diff syn brands is no problem?

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
another Q. the old myth of switching between dino oil and syn oil is a myth. switching between diff syn brands is no problem?

Not a problem switching brands at all, most of us routinely change brands based on sales and clearance prices.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766

No prob at all. I switch brands almost every oil change as I run what syns I buy on clearance. Nothing wrong with the Castrol Gold bottle. I'm running it right now in my Silverado and all is well. I like oil that is on sale, I stocked up on EDGE EP and PUP at the Autozone clearance in December.

In reality there is little difference in quality or protection between the majors. PP, QSUD, EDGE, Synpower, M1, PUP, Kendall, Havoline, ETC...ETC.. If you want to try the EDGE do it. Your engine wont care if you run the EDGE EP or PP.

Any of the above oils will take an engine farther than most of us will drive one single car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back