Are BFGoodrich Radial T/A performance tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Traction

Yes, they have a couple tires in that size, but nothing any better than the old out dated BFG's.

Honestly, the Mastercraft probably is better than the Radial TA. That white-letter BFG is the same tire from 1980. The MC is at least a reasonably modern tire, a private-label Cooper.

Even Cooper's own Cobra Radial GT is most likely better than the Radial TA--and available in the sizes you mention. And they also cost much less than the Radial TA and have a 50k warranty. Seems to be a more modern tread pattern as well. Pep Boys Futura GLS Sport is a Pep Boys private version of the Cobra GT.

A tire that I liked, that I found to be FAR better than the BFG Radial T/As I had on my Cutlass, was the now-gone Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Remember these?

Corvette forum

I had 'em on my Dodge Dakota, in 255/70R15. I thought they rode GREAT, and had way more wet and dry traction than I ever used. The truck sat outside all the time, and those Firehawks never exhibited any weather cracking, and it seemed like I never had to air them up. Really, they were some of the best all-around tires I've owned.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Traction

Yes, they have a couple tires in that size, but nothing any better than the old out dated BFG's.

Honestly, the Mastercraft probably is better than the Radial TA. That white-letter BFG is the same tire from 1980. The MC is at least a reasonably modern tire, a private-label Cooper.

That comment isn't even REMOTELY true. The Radial T/A may not be on a par with their own G-force Sport Comp 2, let alone the latest Michelin or even Nitto tires... but its at least 4 iterations improved from 1980, too, and I would say far better than any Cooper or Pep-Boys branded tire in most sizes.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
A tire that I liked, that I found to be FAR better than the BFG Radial T/As I had on my Cutlass, was the now-gone Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Remember these?

Corvette forum

I had 'em on my Dodge Dakota, in 255/70R15. I thought they rode GREAT, and had way more wet and dry traction than I ever used. The truck sat outside all the time, and those Firehawks never exhibited any weather cracking, and it seemed like I never had to air them up. Really, they were some of the best all-around tires I've owned.

I have had the Firehawks on 3 different vehicles, and currently have them on my Camaro. I was disappointed when they stopped producing those a couple years ago. Although not a performance tire, they were much better than anything else out there in that category (performance looking) currently available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The Radial T/A may not be on a par with their own G-force Sport Comp 2, let alone the latest Michelin or even Nitto tires... but its at least 4 iterations improved from 1980, too, and I would say far better than any Cooper or Pep-Boys branded tire in most sizes.

Still only has an S speed rating, and no warranty. The other tires I mentioned are at least T and have a 50k warranty.

It's also surprising, and sad, that Falken doesn't make any tires in these sizes. Falken is usually good with odd sizes and is generally performance-oriented. So disappointing that the tires in these old sizes, which predominantly went on muscle cars that can go quite fast, aren't offered with at least an H rating, let alone V.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will take a look at the Coopers and the BFGoodrich advantage T/A. Some places have Goodyear comfortreds for sale right now, too, so I'm looking at them. The main thing right now is that I'm re-evaluating whether I need new tires or should hold out on buying them until the Fall. If I'm able to figure out how to post pictures I may make another thread here with pictures of my tires to see what you guys think.

The Radial T/A may not be on a par with their own G-force Sport Comp 2, let alone the latest Michelin or even Nitto tires... but its at least 4 iterations improved from 1980, too, and I would say far better than any Cooper or Pep-Boys branded tire in most sizes.

Still only has an S speed rating, and no warranty. The other tires I mentioned are at least T and have a 50k warranty.

It's also surprising, and sad, that Falken doesn't make any tires in these sizes. Falken is usually good with odd sizes and is generally performance-oriented. So disappointing that the tires in these old sizes, which predominantly went on muscle cars that can go quite fast, aren't offered with at least an H rating, let alone V.

An S speed rating goes up to 112 mph, when is the last time you went 112 mph? They are the perfect tire for cruising and I drove through many winters in a RWD car with BF Goodrich Radial T/As and I never got stuck. You also say there is no warranty but if you go to the BF Goodrich site it shows a warranty.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

An S speed rating goes up to 112 mph, when is the last time you went 112 mph? They are the perfect tire for cruising and I drove through many winters in a RWD car with BF Goodrich Radial T/As and I never got stuck. You also say there is no warranty but if you go to the BF Goodrich site it shows a warranty.

Keep in mind, while you may not go the rated speed, the closer you come to the rated speed, the more heat builds up.

.. If you get an S-rated tire with a 112 mph rating, but go 80 often, you're going to generate a lot more heat in that tire than you would on a V-rated tire that is rated to 149mph.

Of course, the difference between S-rated and T-rated tires is much less (112 vs 118), but it's still something.

If the price difference was reasonable, I'd always pick the T-rated or V-rated over an S-rated tire.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
You also say there is no warranty but if you go to the BF Goodrich site it shows a warranty.

I think by "warranty", he was referring to a tread life warranty. Indeed, the Radial T/A doesn't come with a tread life warranty. It comes with the same 6 year material and build quality warranty that all their tires have, but it doesn't have a separate tread life warranty.

Most tires that I'd consider "good" don't come with a treadlife warranty (snows almost never do, most summers don't, etc.) so I wouldn't consider that a deal-breaker for any tire. Heck, I'm pretty sure it's been a few years since I've owned any tire with a treadlife warranty (and I've got a few sets...)

Just to update this thread, there are a couple more options in 255/70-15 and 275/60-15:

Hankook Ventus H101
Dunlop Sport GT WL (on eBay/carshoez) white letters, modern tread
Nankang SP7 (H-rated too!)

Just to update this thread, there are a couple more options in 255/70-15 and 275/60-15:

Hankook Ventus H101
Dunlop Sport GT WL (on eBay/carshoez) white letters, modern tread
Nankang SP7 (H-rated too!)

In 275/60r15 my last two sets of tires on my 1994 Silverado (not a performance vehicle) were Primewell PS860s and currently Copper Cobra Radial GTs. I have no complaints with either. The Primewell appears to be a more modern tread design (to me and not saying it is an awesome design or anything like that) and I got about 45K on the front and 50K on the rear from a 40K rated tire with 0 tire rotations done. I know many here would not consider Primewell tires but my one experience with them was positive. Only went with the Cooper's instead of another set because I got a much better deal on the Cooper's.

Mastercraft has this size also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back