New Shoes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok. Cooper is headquartered in Findlay(about 45 min north of me), and according to Wikipedia they make the Hercules tires at their Findlay Plant.

But they also have several other plants in the US and elsewhere, including China.

the only way to be sure, other than picking them up at the factory yourself, is to decode the DOT code. That will give you the exact facility those tires came from.

did a little of the leg work for you myself.
IF they did come from the Findlay Plant, the First 2 characters after DOT should Be UP. if not, they didn't.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I feel the pressure that's stated on the door jamb of a car or truck, are for the tires that came with the vehicle when new. If your replacement tires have different pressure ratings, I would go with whats on the new tires not the door jamb. Otherwise there wouldn't be any pressure requirement statement on replacement tires.,,

Unfortunately, the tire manufacturer has no idea what vehicle the customer will mount their tire on; what that vehicle's weight is (loaded and unloaded); or what that vehicle's performance and suspension characteristics are, etc. And hence, they can't possibly state on the tire what the correct PSI should be when mounted on that particular vehicle. All they can do is state the maximum cold inflation pressure that this tire can structurally handle and that should never be exceeded, and that's what they print on the sidewall.

A TIRE IS PART OF THE SUSPENSION SPRINGING (Its an air bladder spring) You shouldn't be far off from the door placard on the high side or you will knock out your strt tops into pieces ( especially if it is a Mazda made in flat rock
smile.gif

Max pressure rating on tire sidewall is just that ... NOTHING NOTHING, NOTHING to do with adjusted pressure for any specific vehicle or loading. If you went 1 or 2 oversize you will likely be going DOWN in pressure. I cant imagine it being over 27PSIG on a Smart. I think the old, lightweight Suzuki Samurai with over sized P205 65 15 generals had a door placard of 26PSIG. I have thought in past trials that running an underinflated, oversize tire were a good Idea, but it's never really worked out as I thought; They just seem WRONG.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Findlay, Ohio...

Hercules is a subsidiary of Cooper Tires...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Tire_%26_Rubber_Company
And that says what about where Cooper had them made?

They seem to have a following.
I had some H rated put on my old MT5 Contour V6 and they wouldn't balance and had very high rolling resistance. went back to Pepe Boyz multiple times to get rid of front end shake on these tires.

For all you Boo Birds out there,

I got 50,000 miles out of an off brand (Phaser),

AND

the date codes were 52/03 and 04/04...

I think I am going to keep inflating to 37 PSI for the 44 PSI max ones,
and 43 for the 51 PSI max ones...

Rubber put on was 520 A Traction, A Temperature
Date codes are 18/15 and 20/15...

Total price was $95 out the door...
and they rotated the tires front to back too...

Last edited:
Full date codes are KACHB2OH2015 and KACHB2OH1815...

My only (mild) complaint is that the tires are unidirectional.
My other two were too, so side to side rotation is out, but front to back is possible...

Last edited:
For all you Boo Birds out there,

I got 50,000 miles out of an off brand (Phaser),

AND

the date codes were 52/03 and 04/04...

I think I am going to keep inflating to 37 PSI for the 44 PSI max ones,
and 43 for the 51 PSI max ones...

Rubber put on was 520 A Traction, A Temperature
Date codes are 18/15 and 20/15...

Total price was $95 out the door...
and they rotated the tires front to back too...

I give up. If you are going to inflate your tires to the pressure you think is correct anyway, what was the point of the original post?

Findlay, Ohio...

Hercules is a subsidiary of Cooper Tires...

Hercules is not a subsidiary of Cooper. Cooper has had a long relationship with Hercules and made many tires for them over the years.

American Tire Distributors bought Hercules a couple years ago:
http://www.rubbernews.com/article/20140206/NEWS/140209976
Quote:
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C.—American Tire Distributors Holdings Inc. has completed its purchase of Hercules Tire & Rubber Co., paying $311.5 million for the Findlay, Ohio, tire distributor, importer and private brander.

Full date codes are KACHB2OH2015 and KACHB2OH1815...

According to those numbers, the tires weren't made by Cooper at all. KA indicates this:
SVIZZ-ONE CORPORATION LIMITED
BANGLANE
NAKOMPATHOM
THAILAND

A little googling makes it appear that's the company that makes Thunderer Tires:
http://www.thunderertire.com/contact.php

A little more googling shows Svizz-One is part of Deestone Company:
http://www.deestone.com/WhyDeestone/AboutUs.aspx#.VrEmTFJXK60

cooper only makes SOME of the hercules tires.
they also have plants all over including china.

there should also be a COO on the tire as well as the DOT code for the plant.
ie Made in USA Made in china etc.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
OE ratings are for OE tires. I like to adjust them as they wear. Usually a few psi higher in front than the rear. On my winter tires the pressure is about 10 psi over what the door placard says.

OE ratings are for OE size and load rating, if you replace them with tires that are appropriate replacements, then the OE ratings apply.

29 PSI recommended pressure on the door sticker, 35 PSI max on the OEM rubber...
Hence, 29 / 35 equal .83 inflation percentage...
These are 44 PSI max, so 44 times .83 equals 37 PSI adjusted...

That's not even remotely close to correct. The number on the sidewall is, as many others have stated, simply the maximum inflation pressure for the tire, nothing more. It has absolutely ZERO bearing on what you inflate the tires to, which is, using the OEM size and load rating, dictated by the OEM in the form of the number indicated on the placard.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
OE ratings are for OE tires. I like to adjust them as they wear. Usually a few psi higher in front than the rear. On my winter tires the pressure is about 10 psi over what the door placard says.

OE ratings are for OE size and load rating, if you replace them with tires that are appropriate replacements, then the OE ratings apply.
I don't buy that. Especially if the OE tires had ~35 lbs max pressure rating and the replacements are in the 50s.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Bought two new tires this weekend...

For $100 out the door, two Hercules Tour 4.0 Plus, 205/60R15 91H...
http://www.herculestire.com/tire-gallery/passenger-and-light-truck/touring/tour-40-plus/

These are "H" rated, so the pressure on the door must be adjusted...
(the OEM's were "P" speed)
29 PSI recommended pressure on the door sticker, 35 PSI max on the OEM rubber...
Hence, 29 / 35 equal .83 inflation percentage...
These are 44 PSI max, so 44 times .83 equals 37 PSI adjusted...

Sorry. That's entirely wrong.

Long version: Barry's Tire Tech - Load Tables

Short version: Speed rating does not affect the pressure specification on the vehicle tire placard (the sticker on the doorframe), nor does the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire. Use the same pressure as before.

This.

This is from somebody who actually knows what he's talking about. Please read and adjust your methodology accordingly.

I don't buy that. Especially if the OE tires had ~35 lbs max pressure rating and the replacements are in the 50s.

Read what CapriRacer posted. He works in the industry.

Read what CapriRacer posted. He works in the industry.
And I use tires rated at 51 lbs max. Unless I bump the pressure up 10 lbs over the OE the things handles like a wallowing pig.

I bet that's the two digit manufacturers code,
and these are three digit...

Car's original tires predate tire speed ratings...

And I use tires rated at 51 lbs max. Unless I bump the pressure up 10 lbs over the OE the things handles like a wallowing pig.

Other than a rather specific anecdote as to the handling characteristics of that particular tire at the manufacturer-specified pressure for that particular vehicle it has no impact on the facts posted by CapriRacer who is an authority on this topic. You've chosen to deviate from the manufacturer-specified pressure based on "feel", which I'm sure is a far less extensive process than that employed by the manufacturer in order to arrive at the pressure specified on the placard.

Now, once you've deviated from the manufacturer-specified size, then there will be some adjustment necessary from the OEM recommendation, which I believe is also covered on Barry's/CapriRacer's site, but that's not the general gist of the discussion and is why I included the qualifiers I did.

My BMW had multiple pressures listed on the placard depending on how the car was loaded. These pressure were significantly lower, even for maximum load, than what the maximum inflation pressure on the tire was, which, if used, would result in a much smaller contact patch. In fact, if you followed the "American" pressure guidelines (which were equivalent to the max-loaded European pressures) you made the car "twitchy" and had a reduced footprint on the rear (which were 275's). Now, despite BMW going to all the trouble of specifying various inflation pressures relative to load, they did not mention the maximum sidewall pressure anywhere. There was no recommendation to modify their specified pressures if the replacement tire had a higher maximum inflation pressure and the reason for that was that it didn't matter. If you used a P275/30/18, then you used the pressures they specified. The PSS's I put on the car to replace the Toyo's had different maximum inflation pressures. The Pilot A/S3's I put on my wife's car have different maximum inflation pressure than the tires they replaced. This is not uncommon and if it were something that was supposed to be factored into the inflation process relative to the rating on the placard it would be mentioned. But it isn't, because it doesn't.

People running improper tire pressures is a safety issue. The OP running his rear tires on a Saturn S-series, which is an extremely light vehicle, at like 20psi higher than the placard because he's developed some bizarre formula is an example of that safety issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back