Motorcraft FL-820S Date code: 909031527 cut & post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I decided to cut open a brand new Motorcraft FL-820S to see what the initial quality would be. This filter was purchased in the last quarter of 2015 and carries a recent date code 909031527. Filter constructed on Sep 3, 2015. About 4 months old. Stored in the house not in the garage.

f4fbro.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #1 Here is the exterior of what many call a good filter.

os4d1l.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #2 Exterior shot of the base plate.

bgecr7.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #3 Interior shot of the base plate

2s1w654.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #4 Silicone ADBV base plate side.

5d3vvq.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #5 ADBV filter side.

de04ew.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #6 Bypass valve inlets. At some point in time Motorcraft/Purolator changed the number of inlet holes to the bypass valve from 4 to 8 holes. I believe this design change very well help solve the media tearing issue. So far so good.

2zxvzbm.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #7 uneven pleats at the splice. This shot clearly shows wide pleat spacing near the splice before installation.

121677l.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #8 uneven pleats at the splice closeup near the dome end.

2lj5ppx.jpg

fl-820s-909031527 #9 uneven pleat spacing at splice closeup near the thread end.

2ibzxgi.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #10 even pleat spacing is demonstrated away from the splice.

2ljnyq9.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #11 even pleat spacing but notice the brown stuff on the left bottom.

scvnrq.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #12 even pleat spacing note the rust.

2nlrbkh.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #13 note the rust.

2qdtlrt.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #14 note the rust closeup. This rust also appeared on the inside of the filter on the dome end end cap. I could not get a decent photo of this due to lighting. You can also begin to the the delamination between the epoxy and the end cap because of the rust.

34tcz09.jpg

FL-820S-909031527 #15 side by side with PH820 element on the left and the FL-820S element on the right. This particular eCore does have some issues that I will show in another post.

Here are the reference links to the used FL820S I have already cut & post.

Motorcraft FL820S cut open Date code: 904121217 #3994569
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3996687/1

This is Motorcraft FL820S Date code: 906241527. #3994586
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3994586

I was pleased to see they did make some design changes but, the wide pleat spacing near the splice is still very evident. I think the rust issue is very poor. I have to assume this may impact other Motorcraft part numbers not just the FL820S.

If you are using Motorcraft filters, I would recommend you cut a few of them open and see if you have any issues.

Because of the recent autopsies on used filters and tear downs of new filters, I will not be using Motorcraft FL-820S filters and will be looking elsewhere.

I hope this does not cause too many of you undue stress.

Thanks for reading.

Good pics and information. If I was a prophet I might predict Motorcraft will go to the Boss style element. Everything else they want to do is first rate, but not that filter media. They need to plate the steel. For many years from 1995 I used FL400's, and I remember they were not made like this one. Another good $4 filter with 3/4-16 threads and pretty much identical specs are the Toyota 90915-yzzD1 and larger D3 series. I have been hacking some open, although the efficiency numbers are unknown, except for a graph from Amsoil. New Toyotas are delivered with them so they can't be too bad for an engine. I am going to try and put some pics of a used one up.

I wonder if anyone from Ford/Motorcraft does any quality inspection of their products being made. I don't think they would like seeing filters like this one.

The pleat spacing at the seam is ugly, but one thing I notice is the V-spread of the outer V of the pleat is small, which might help reduce the chance of tearing. The pleat should be less prone to tearing if the large V-spread is on the inside V instead of the outside V.

I'd sure like to see the manufacturing process that Purolator uses to understand why most of their filters have such wide pleat spacing at the seam.

I bet Purolators manufacturing process is like their filters: a train wreck. I won't buy their filters ever, period. Tough guards and ULTRAS serve me well

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Didnt like the rust. Was stored oppened, out of the box, tube up? Got any water or moisture on it?

Filters purchased from my local Walmart(s) in the last quarter of 2015. Filters stored in the original boxes with the tube down. Filters stored in the house where there is no huge humidity concerns. I think they are coming in from the manufacturer / supplier in this condition.

Now that I know what to look for, I can see the rust through the thread end. You might want to take a small mag light or other high intensity light with you to the store and do an inspection.

I would actually need a second / third light source to get a decent photo through the thread end.

Originally Posted By: car51
I bet Purolators manufacturing process is like their filters: a train wreck. I won't buy their filters ever, period. Tough guards and ULTRAS serve me well

This analysis changed my thinking on Motorcraft and Purolator. The filter is junk. Now, they do not tear on a short OCI but that is not good enough for me. There are many better options out there. I think you just named two of them.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I wonder if anyone from Ford/Motorcraft does any quality inspection of their products being made. I don't think they would like seeing filters like this one.

The pleat spacing at the seam is ugly, but one thing I notice is the V-spread of the outer V of the pleat is small, which might help reduce the chance of tearing. The pleat should be less prone to tearing if the large V-spread is on the inside V instead of the outside V.

I'd sure like to see the manufacturing process that Purolator uses to understand why most of their filters have such wide pleat spacing at the seam.

Does anyone here have a contact at Motorcraft? They really should be notified this stuff is happening.

The V placement does seem to be different. I am not certain that will reduce the risk of tearing on a long oil change interval though.

must remember to cut &post the Fl-400s i'm curently running...

Next OC will be to QSGB, was tempted, just for S's&G's, to use the QS3600 i've had in my stash for a few years, but likely will be WIX.

if anyone wants to take a REAL chance, @ my local Menards, they have about 6 LOOSE FL-500s's that have been sitting on a clearance shelf absolutely naked,(No Box, No shrink wrap, nothing) for at least 6 months, if not a year. marked for $5 ea.

WellOiled: Texan4Life a few years back emailed Purolator and politely got the finger and told to "pound sand" by some new engineer. I'll melt my old PSL Puro's I got today from a co worker in my crucible. Waste oil fired btw

Hi Earlyre
I just cut open a brand new FL400s out of curiosity and found out that the pleat seam was glued just half way.
I could see the center cone section through the seam opening. I tried to pry open the seam but the rest is glued pretty tight. Other than that the construction seems to be OK.
I'm new to this site and don't know how to load the pictures yet.

Originally Posted By: car51

Ditto! Wil continue to stay with the Fram Ultra...and use them for two 7,500 OC's on my Ford Focus.

I looked at and held a "BOSS" filter and was not impressed. Amazing how brainwashed folks are these days. Genuine WIX, Tough Guard, ULTRA and Carquest "red" and "blue" for me

End of discussion

Purolator: fix your ****

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Pontual said:
You might want to take a small mag light or other high intensity light with you to the store and do an inspection.

HA! Wait till the walmart employees see this.

Hey, I check filters all the time. I just did not know I would need a laser light to get it done.

You could tell them you are just checking the fit.
grin.gif

We did a oil change with one about 2 weeks ago,and we aren't changing out the filter.There are many applications using this oil filter,if there were any sort of wide spread engine failures etc.,the design woulda been changed years ago.

If you think all oil filters constructed today should have zero faults,your sadly mistaken with that thought process. When things are mass produced,quality control will never be 100%,sorry guys,thats not reality.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge

We did a oil change with one about 2 weeks ago,and we aren't changing out the filter.

Did you cut them open for a look inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back