2014 2015 Silverado Sierra Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one have any problems yet with thier 2014 or 2015 Silverado or Sierra? On another forum, All you here is problems about these trucks. I have over 4K miles now issue free on my 2015. Love this truck, If it lasts like the 03 I had did, I will be happy.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Any one have any problems yet with thier 2014 or 2015 Silverado or Sierra? On another forum, All you here is problems about these trucks. I have over 4K miles now issue free on my 2015. Love this truck, If it lasts like the 03 I had did, I will be happy.

Majority of folks who go to car specific forums bring their problems seeking solutions. If your car works why visit a car specific forum and post how great it is?

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Majority of folks who go to car specific forums bring their problems seeking solutions. If your car works why visit a car specific forum and post how great it is?

Exactly, Just feel like home on BITOG so Im asking you guys!

I work at a GMC dealership and there hasn't really been any problems other than recalls. FWIW my dad almost 50k miles on his 14 Sierra. A lot of the trucks need tires in about 30k miles, depending on your driving conditions.

Last edited:

By 13 or 14 almost all the afm problems were history except in the 3500 service vans we buy. Our late model Silverados are virtually trouble free.

Regarding your last line, my personal 05 Silverado was a real nice truck. Sold it with 120k miles on it and have missed it every day since...

I have a '14, purchased in Dec of '13. Other than a batch of simple recalls in the first few months, the only unscheduled maintenance was replacement of an AC hose that had a leaky fitting. Otherwise, I have enjoyed 31k miles of completely trouble free driving. Replaced the tires at 26 k mile. Still had plenty of tread, but the wet traction was terrible, so I replaced them early.

My 99 was great....2002 bad news...2006 an abysmal failure and I swore off GM forever.

best thing I ever did....was drive across the street to the Toyota dealer. I have since purchased 7 Toyotas. Only one real issue between all of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Other than a batch of simple recalls in the first few months, the only unscheduled maintenance was replacement of an AC hose that had a leaky fitting. Otherwise, I have enjoyed 31k miles of completely trouble free driving.

NEWSFLASH: That's NOT trouble free driving......trouble free is never having to go back.

We have a 2014 that replace a 2009 that replace a 2005. The 2014+ is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous generations. No major issues, but not trouble free. Two ECU reflash recalls, one TSB fix for a loose driver seat, and several tech ride-alongs for highway vibrations. The vibrations went away when we ditched the factory Goodyears. Currently 25K and very happy.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My 05 with 156k has been great. A lot of coworkers have had the trannys go out on the newer 6spd autos. Did those 6spds get sorted out or should we be waiting for 8spd autos?

The 6L80 is an outstanding transmission. Extremely low failure rates. It's so much better than the 4L60 it replaced. Having said that, I'd take a chance on the new 8 speed as well. GM surprisingly builds some really good powertrains.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Other than a batch of simple recalls in the first few months, the only unscheduled maintenance was replacement of an AC hose that had a leaky fitting. Otherwise, I have enjoyed 31k miles of completely trouble free driving.

NEWSFLASH: That's NOT trouble free driving......trouble free is never having to go back.

NEWSFLASH 2: It's naive to think you can purchase a fully redesigned modern vehicle and not expect at least a couple of hiccups that must be addressed. Sometimes it happens, but more often than not there WILL be some issues....no matter its name badge. Anyway, the recalls were addressed when I took the truck in for scheduled oil changes. So....it was trouble free to me. Since these issues were addressed during the first 6k mi or so, I will ammend my statement to say I have had 25K miles trouble free ownership instead of the 31k I stated earlier.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
We have a 2014 that replace a 2009 that replace a 2005. The 2014+ is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous generations. No major issues, but not trouble free. Two ECU reflash recalls, one TSB fix for a loose driver seat, and several tech ride-alongs for highway vibrations. The vibrations went away when we ditched the factory Goodyears. Currently 25K and very happy.

I have balanced a lot new trucks and trucks with little miles due to tire vibrations. Some of them have come off the truck needing a rebalance.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My 05 with 156k has been great. A lot of coworkers have had the trannys go out on the newer 6spd autos. Did those 6spds get sorted out or should we be waiting for 8spd autos?

8 speed transmissions are out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
My 99 was great....2002 bad news...2006 an abysmal failure and I swore off GM forever.

best thing I ever did....was drive across the street to the Toyota dealer. I have since purchased 7 Toyotas. Only one real issue between all of them.

That's funny, My '06 Chevy is the best vehicle I have EVER owned,
The wifes '10 Toyota....Is the 2nd biggest POS I have owned, The most recent issue is a oil leak at 76,000 miles (Timing Cover), It eats front brakes, Rides like wooden wheeled wagon, The Disply is out on the radio, The AUX jack has been replaced over 10 times & is broke again, Speakers were shot at 40K, The headliner has weird "Cardboard" creases, Driver arm rest has collapsed, The seat covers are loose fitting, The steering "feel" is numb & has no "Center", It has NO POWER...This car cannot get out of its own way. Not to mention several recalls that takes the Toyota dealer forever to complete.
Giving it to my daughter as a first car next year...Hopefully she can get a few more years out of it, Then it's going to the Scrapyard where it belongs. Going to buy the wife a Impala SS with the LS4 5.3L or a Monte Carlo SS with a Supercharged 3.8L because Toyota & the Dealer has left a VERY sour taste in my mouth!

Over on the GM truck forum the major issue with 2014+ is vibrations around 65-75mph with no known fix. 1000 page thread almost. Many don't notice the vibrant as they don't drive that fast or blame it on being a truck. There were many cases of people test driving all trucks on a lot and they all had it. It's not the tires but a driveline vib.

Originally Posted By: BMOC
Originally Posted By: zuluplus30

I have balanced a lot new trucks and trucks with little miles due to tire vibrations. Some of them have come off the truck needing a rebalance.

Plus the factory selects low rolling resistance tires that stink for traction.

We ditched brand new Goodyears on our RAM for new Michelins and completely changed the ride and handling for the better.

MUCH better...

They seem to be pretty good trucks, I don't hear anyone really complaining about them one way or another.

I'm very interested in how the 8spd drives.

I have a 2014 Sierra 1500 5.3 4x4 with just over 60,000 miles (purchased new in Oct 13)

Here is what I have had worked on/replaced:
- At dealership twice for computer updates (recalls)
- Loose driver seat (semi common problem). Dealership installed kit which fixed problem.
- Wind noise coming from driver side door. Dealership adjusted door and noise was reduced substantially
- One of the rear shocks began to squeak. Could have had it warrantied but decided to replace with Bilstein 4600 series. Squeak went away and ride improved slightly.

Things that don't impress me and could be improved:
- Coating on frame peeling off. This is a pretty widespread issue with these trucks. GM uses some sort of waxy undercoating over the frame. It comes off VERY easy. My frame is showing quite a bit of rust (even after the 1st year). I know it's not the end of the world but I don't know why GM just doesn't powder coat these frames.
- Junk OEM headlights. This isn't an issue for me anymore as I have replaced the factory bulbs with HID. The Sierra's come with projectors from the factory but use a weak bulb. I heard this was improved slightly in the 15 models by increasing voltage to the bulb. The 16 models have a redesigned front end with LED headlights now (depending on trim level). Can't speak for those as I have not drove one at night (hopefully it's improved).
- Torque management. In a nut shell this is the computer's way of limiting power based on throttle input. I know these engines have plenty of power but they just don't seem like at low throttle angles (daily driving). It takes a lot of throttle movement to get the truck moving. This combined with the transmission always wanting to be in the highest gear make things worse. A little more throttle and it seems to "panic" and downshift. Those that have the PCM tuned have torque management reduced along with better transmission logic have reported and night/day difference in drive-ability. Something I might look into in the future.

Overall it has been a good vehicle. During the winter I average around 17 MPG and get around 19 MPG during the summer (if I'm not towing). 20-22 MPG in the highway isn't difficult. My highest 25 mile average is 35 MPG (perfect conditions, flat road, with strong wind, cruise set at 55 MPH). If I take that same stretch of road with no wind I can usually get 25-26 MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back