Tried BerryMan B-12 Chemtool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Berryman B-12 to clean motorcycle carbs before and this stuff literally dissolves crud and black scum faster than anything I ve seen. I ve used it to clear up small engines and I might have even got carried away with a old Lawn boy mower. I didn't care if it blew up, I was just disgusted with its poor performance. I started it up and it blew white smoke for at least 10 minutes and spit black crud out the muffler. It now runs like a top and its been months. Starts first pull every time, so I know this stuff works. My 5.4 had a rough idle. I loaned it to my son for a month and he probably put the cheapest no name gas in it, he could find. It sat a lot too. I had a nice 300+ mile road trip over the weekend, so I thought this would be a good time to clean it out. I will try Berryman B-12. Frankly, I am a little scared of the stuff. I have seen it dissolve varnish and melt plastic mixing cups. Its powerful stuff. I added a pint to a full tank, about 20 gal. The truck drove alright up, by Georgia, the idle improved dramatically. It smoothed right out. The truck felt a little sluggish, but the idle was now smooth. I topped it off with 93 and drove it home. Runs Great, I think I will now dose my other vehicles. I will definitely not get carried away with the stuff. I will say its one product I approve of. It works. I also feel my gas mileage improved although I didn't check it. I definitely used less fuel coming back. I use Marvel Mystery oil in all my cars and trucks and believe its good maintenance program, but not a serious cleaner. This B-12 is.

works good for cleaning carbs. You can test the difference by how cold it feels. I know a long time ago a buddy of mine put this stuff in a plastic container to clean a bunch of carbs from old side shaft engines he bought for like 5 bucks a piece. He would also spray a bunch of carb cleaner from the can into it too. The berryman carb cleaner is the only stuff that works. The cheap walmart stuff and the gunk brand carb and choke cleaner is a joke.

Yeah I've used the heck out of it too mostly on carbs but I've done fi as well. As a side note their engine cleaner/degrees error is top notch better than everything else ive used. Just [censored] hard to find

I used it a few months ago to clean up a carb on an old chainsaw I hadn't used in a few years. It cleaned up the carb quickly, and got the engine running well again.

From the most current SDS:

Component CAS RN Weight
Toluene 108-88-3 40-50%
Acetone 67-64-1 20-25%
Methanol 67-56-1 20-25%
Methyl Ethyl Ketone 78-93-3 1-5%
2-Butoxyethanol 111-76-2 1-5%
2-Propanol 67-63-0 1-5%

The methanol worries me, as it should not be run through gas engines. I would rather this be Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA). Essentially this is a can of white spirit and alcohol mixed together, so it's a very powerful solvent but not advanced in any way beyond that.

I bought a can yesterday to put in my tank, but after reading some more on it, I'm a bit concerned on the amount of time it will stay in the tank. I read that it preferred to be used on road trips, but I don't go on road trips with this vehicle. It will take me about 7 days to go through the tank.

ETA: My tank is 12 gallons.

Last edited:
I run half a can in each car once a year.

Never had a problem.

I put it in all my lawn equipment over the winter, and keep it in the gas that stays stored over the winter.

It's a more aggressive version of seafoam, it works and it's relatively cheap.

I've used a lot of it to clear up rough running carb'd engines and it does work pretty well unless it's something that won't dissolve causing the problem (like a chunk of deteriorated fuel line)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back