Swithch to HM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car in question is my daughter's 2007 Civic EX. It's been on a steady diet of PYB 5W20 since she acquired it with 52,000 miles. It's at 114,000 miles now. Not consuming any oil and there are no leaks as far as I know - she lives out of town so I can't inspect it that frequently - but I did teach her how to check the oil level and add oil. Should I make the switch to high mileage oil next time she is back in town and due for an oil change? If so, what oil would you recommend? Right now she pretty much drives it on weekends as she commutes via mass transit. Thanks for you feedback.

There is no need to change if there is no problem. Slightly thicker engine oil may help to increase compression/torque if the cylinder is worn, but I would not change to HM until it starts consumes oil.

Agreed, no need to change if there's no problem. Maybe there's not as many miles on the engine as you think.

I used to own a '09 Civic EX and I wonder if the engine was replaced in your daughters car. The 2006 to early 2009 Civic had an extended warranty on the engine block because it would crack and leak coolant.

I got rid of mine at 45k miles because I kept smelling coolant but had no leak, yet. I just didn't want to continue driving it worried about when it was going to happen. Plus, I didn't want to be stuck on the side of the road.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/...ivics/index.htm

PYB is a good oil. No "need" to change to a HM since there is no consumption or leaks. If you "want" to switch to a HM I would recommend Maxlife. IMHO, Maxlife is THE high mileage oil to use. $15.88 at the local Wal-Mart for the 5qt jug. Match it with a Fram Ultra and you are good to go.

What 95% of BITOG don't seem to realize is high mileage oils are advertised to prevent oil leaks before they even start. Yes, there are plenty of instances where high mileage oils stop or significantly slow leaks. But perhaps if you'd have been using a high mileage oil at 100,000 miles, the leak wouldn't have ever started to begin with. But I don't think it really matters with this Civic, I'd probably just continue to use the regular Pennzoil but switching to Valvoline MaxLife certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.

It makes sense older vehicles need a better oil if engine oil standards are established in new engines and oil is endurance tested in new vehicles. Even with no engine light on, and no stored trouble codes, ignition and air-fuel systems, and emission systems may not be functioning optimally. Oil in older vehicles should be more resistant to the effects of combustion byproducts contamination and dillution than new car oil is.

I don't consider 100k miles high mileage in today's modern cars. I don't see any harm if you change to HM and if it makes you feel better great. I also don't see any need to change. The advice to switch to a thicker weight oil is just bad advice. Run the weight oil meeting the temperature range the car operates in per the owner's manual. Today's engine has such high tolerances I would wager if we tore down your daughter's engine it would be practically in spec with a brand new crate engine. Thicker weights not specified by the manufacturer cause premature wear to an engine and reduced fuel economy. Most wear happens when an engine is first started. With today's super tight tolerances manufactures spec oils with the proper viscosity for their engine. Switching to a heavier weight will cause the oil not to flow as well and cause additional wear. Just keep doing what your doing. Again, I just don't see 100k as high mileage in today's world. I call is just about broken in.

Last edited:
No coolant leaks or engine block problems in my 2007 Civic with 150K miles.

I would keep running PYB.... buy HM if you can find it for the same price as PYB.

I switched to HM oils at 230k miles in my Toyotas. The Rav4 leaks at the seals and the Corolla is fine.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
What 95% of BITOG don't seem to realize is high mileage oils are advertised to prevent oil leaks before they even start. Yes, there are plenty of instances where high mileage oils stop or significantly slow leaks. But perhaps if you'd have been using a high mileage oil at 100,000 miles, the leak wouldn't have ever started to begin with. But I don't think it really matters with this Civic, I'd probably just continue to use the regular Pennzoil but switching to Valvoline MaxLife certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.

+1 The seal conditioners can't hurt anything and it's a pretty good syn-blend (red bottle). I'd prolly move up to 5W-30 at 100,000 miles ... Honda's are very long lived if treated well. I'd consider this good treatment
smile.gif

Ive never run a HM oil except in a Civic with over 300k miles and a rear main seal leak. Upping the weight and to a HM oil actually basically stopped the leak for 20k miles before it was sold.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I switched to HM oils at 230k miles in my Toyotas. The Rav4 leaks at the seals and the Corolla is fine.
Dont Toyota seals always leak? It's just part of owning a Toyota? 3 people I've known since the mid 90s had Toyota 4 bangers and they all dripped oil here and there. Nothing major, but odd that they all leaked.

I see HM oils as a quick fix on a car with too many miles that needs a seal replaced. At 80k my Civic leaked oil around the timing chain cover. I could've used a HM oil, but it obviously needed a new seal. Put a seal in, problem solved!

No oil leaks and no coolant consumption as I can determine. She got the recall notice so I think the engine is the original. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back