Running Rotella 5w40 in my new 6.2 gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a thread going about running QSGB Conventional in my new F350 gasser. That being said I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on running a slightly heavier HDEO. I was just speaking with a friend of mine who owns a diesel shop and he has offered to keep me in Rotella 5w40 for free. He buys it 250 gallons at a time. Truck calls for 5w30...go this route or keep the qsgb plan?

My only concern is the cats...while I've never known an issue to arrive SOPUS is very quick to say that their HDEO can damage cats on newer vehicles. The weight doesnt bother me so much.

Ive run Rotella in diesels for years with good results but its a different animal all together.

Originally Posted By: old1
I thought the issue for cats was the zddp
Me too. I'm in the same situation. I have a Toyota pick-up with a 22-r motor and also have two gals of Rotella 5-40 I got cheap and no place to use it. My Toyota has a cat too.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
My only concern is the cats...

HUH?
Thicker would mean oil would be less likely to get to the CAT...

Thinner oil more likely to have consumption and oil getting into the CAT

How does the Rotella do for extended oci? Reason I ask is that the iolm could potentially run out a 7500-10k oci and some were concerned the spec meeting conventional was not up to the task

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
My only concern is the cats...

HUH?
Thicker would mean oil would be less likely to get to the CAT...

Thinner oil more likely to have consumption and oil getting into the CAT

False

I think the fear of an oil like T6 5w40 "ruining cats" is way overblown.

Consider this:

Manufacturers typically won't acknowledge an oil consumption problem unless consumption is on the order of 1 quart per 3000 miles, or sometimes even more (1 quart per 1k mile). Yes, we all consider that to be pretty excessive, but I'm talking about manufacturer guidelines here.

So, that means the manufacturer doesn't think that burning their recommended oil at a rate of 1 quart/3k miles will harm the cats for the 100k miles that they have to certify that the emissions system should, on average, last. So what does your engine ACTUALLY burn? If its anything less than 1 quart/6000 miles, then you can use an oil with twice the concentration of "cat damaging" additives like ZDDP as the manufacturer's recommended oil, and you are still exposing the cats to EXACTLY the same number of micrograms per mile as the manufacturers approved oil at their approved consumption rate.

Now in truth, your engine probably burns a lot less than half what the manufacturer "allows." So you should be able to safely run just about any oil you want to, at least as far as cat damage is concerned.

In more practical terms, RT6 currently has something like 1200 PPM of ZDDP, compared to a Dexos-rated Xw30 which has order of 800 PPM max. So its NOT GOING TO HURT the catcons. But Dexos addresses a lot of other things, too, like NOACK. Don't know excactly how RT6 stacks up on that.

That why thicker oils wear less than thinner, because the arent consumed as much as thinner and can have double ZDDP...

Thinner oil busted!

Originally Posted By: Pontual
That why thicker oils wear less than thinner, because the arent consumed as much as thinner and can have double ZDDP...

Thinner oil busted!

My experience is that thicker oils usually RAISE consumption in worn engines. Worn oil-control rings ride up and over the thicker fluid so more gets past them and into the combustion chamber. Might be different if the primary leakage path is valve guides/seals, but when its rings, thicker oil definitely gets past them at a higher rate.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Exceptions, shouldnt be put as rule, IMO

Its not an exception. Thicker oil may slow *leakage*, but it usually increases oil burning.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
but it usually increases oil burning.

Your statement, your proof, and I await it anxiously.

Australian experience where every car had 20W50 in it for the best part of 2 decades was that 1 qt/3,000 miles was considered an extreme outlier, and "heavy" oil burner...that's not what you are suggesting.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Why would you use an oil that isn't spec for your engine? Doesn't make any sense.

Free oil, more robust oil than than any 5w30 on the market and oil with a proven reputation, what doesn't make sense here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back