I've Become a Ballistol Advocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned about Ballistol on the Hickok45 YouTube channel. Hickok45 (who, incidentally, lives only a few miles from me) swears by it, and has a couple of good videos on his method of gun cleaning (which I've now adopted, as they are easy, and make sense).

I discovered that a local farm co-op carries it, so I decided to try it out. I went by and picked up one of the cans (a pump sprayer will screw right on) and a can of the aerosol.

At first, the smell was very strange to me. But it's grown on me, and now I actually like it - it's like licorice. I can smell it when I get my gun out of its case.

But what I really like about Ballistol is the Teflon-like effect it has on the metal. With a light film, burned powder residue just doesn't stick. You just wipe it right off. And it's really all you need in the barrel of a handgun.

With use, Ballistol actually bonds to metal, giving it a nice, slick coating that remains, even after you wipe it off. Gives the metal a nice, slick feel, similar to the paint on your car after you wax it. I got out my Smith & Wesson Model 686+ and shot a few groups with it tonight at the range. Last time I put it up, I had cleaned and wiped it down with Ballistol. When I got it out of its case, the stainless steel had that nice, slick feeling to it.

With Hickok45's method, you spray some Ballistol in the barrel bore and let it set while you clean the rest of the gun. Spray the whole barrel down. If you have a 1911, spray the bushing, the recoil spring plug, the guide rod, the spring, etc. You don't need to get it near the firing pin and the back of the slide. A little Ballistol on a patch is sufficient to wipe those parts down. I also spray some in the lugs and recesses where the barrel locks up with the slide, as that part gets pretty dirty. After I've finished getting the residue out of the nooks and crannies, I'll go back and run a jag through the bore a few times. And, since it's had Ballistol in it, previously, it only takes a few passes of the jag until the patch comes clean.

After everything is clean, I wipe it down with a patch that's damp with Ballistol. Metal-to-metal areas such as the barrel lug-to-slide lockup, barrel hood, barrel-to-bushing interface on a 1911, and feed ramp get a little extra. IN fact, I like to run my all-metal guns pretty wet. The extra lube doesn't hurt anything, and I field-strip and clean about every 150-200 rounds, so the extra oil doesn't have a chance to build up and attract crud. Matter of fact, I find that using a little extra Ballistol makes cleaning easier the next time, because it kinda holds the carbon crud "in suspension", not letting it stick to the metal.

(I do believe in using an oil with a little higher viscosity in the rails of a tightly-fitted gun like my Dan Wesson 1911. Right now I'm using the oil that DW supplied with the gun...which actually feels and smells suspiciously like motor oil. When it runs out I'll be using M1, as I use that in my truck and always have some around.)

I also like the fact that Ballistol is mostly, from my understanding, mineral oil, along with some alcohol (the alcohol is what allows the oil to form an emulsion...a unique property among gun oils/cleaners, which is sought-after by the shooters of black powder rifles...which is used to clean black powder residue, quite effectively. The oil loosens and neutralizes the residue, while the solvent action of the water carries away the debris). It is non-toxic, and it doesn't hurt to get on your hands. I don't even worry about wearing gloves when cleaning my guns when using it.

AND it doesn't hurt wood, plastic, polymer or leather. In fact, it gives wood stocks a nice shine.

It also won't gum up. I've not been using it all that long - just a few months. But I've read that when it's used to preserve guns, and you get a gun out that was coated in Ballistol years ago, it just leaves a slight, paraffin-like, white coating, after the solvent carrier has evaporated, that easily wipes off.

So, as you can see, I've become a fan.
smile.gif

Ballistol is good stuff! I have used it for years and it has never let me down. It will leave your guns clean, lubricated and protected for most shooting situations and it has many other side uses also.
Now sure it is not the most technologically advanced super lubricant that stands up to high temperatures and extreme pressures but is certainly a good enough cleaner, lubricant and rust preventative to work for most people. It also isn't the strongest rust preventer in the world but it works well enough for 99% of shooters out there. If you really want a high temperature, extreme pressure lubricant to use on high friction/heat areas in tandem with Baliistol, try Superlube Grease. If you want a thicker, heavier metal protectant that is great for preventing rust, try fluid film.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What does the stuff smell like ?

That is very much a YMMV question. I enjoy the smell and think it smells like black licorice. Other people say they hate the smell and say it smells like body odor, dirty socks, wet dogs or pungent feet. lol

If you like black licorice candy, sambuca liquor or Anise cookies, I think you will like the smell of Ballistol. If those types of scents really turn you off, then you will probably not like it.

Originally Posted By: AMC
I enjoy the smell and think it smells like black licorice.

That tells me the stuff smells very similar to Simple Green.

Ballistol is good stuff! I have used it for years and it has never let me down. It will leave your guns clean, lubricated and protected for most shooting situations and it has many other side uses also.
Now sure it is not the most technologically advanced super lubricant that stands up to high temperatures and extreme pressures but is certainly a good enough cleaner, lubricant and rust preventative to work for most people. It also isn't the strongest rust preventer in the world but it works well enough for 99% of shooters out there. If you really want a high temperature, extreme pressure lubricant to use on high friction/heat areas in tandem with Baliistol, try Superlube Grease. If you want a thicker, heavier metal protectant that is great for preventing rust, try fluid film.

As for not being the most technically-advanced high-pressure, hi-temp, high film strength lubricant available, I probably wouldn't argue with that. That's why I use something with better viscosity & anti-wear agents in the rails and metal-on-metal parts.

And, as far as anti-corrosion, my guns live inside, in a climate-controlled environment. I don't own land, and I don't hunt, so my shooting is done on indoor ranges, or rarely, at an outdoor range. My Sig P-938 would probably be the closest to being exposed to an aggressive environment, for example, when I carry it on a hot day while riding my bike and it gets sweat on it. But the slide is stainless steel, the frame is anodized aluminum alloy, and I wipe it down (every once in a while) with Ballistol, so, I think it's OK.

I do have a Maverick 88 12-gauge that my grandfather bought at Wal-Mart about 30 years ago (even today they go for
Anyway, I think Ballistol is fine for the way I use my guns (sitting in a safe until they're taken out to the range).

I enjoy the smell and think it smells like black licorice.

That tells me the stuff smells very similar to Simple Green.

It does smell a little bit like Simple Green...only, more pungent and aromatic.

Just don't use it on plated firearms. And for the record there are MANY better lubricants for firearms out there than mineral oil. Also, mineral oil does not, "bond to metal".

Hickok45 has claimed in numerous videos that it bonds to metal, like a seasoned coating on a skillet or something. It does feel that way after application, but I'm not sure there's a physical process happening, there. It's probably just the Ballistol filling in the small pits of the metal and remaining there after the excess is wiped off.

I use Ballistol on my handguns. Both are fairly loose-fitting guns and they tend to run well "dry". Ballistol seems to be all that's needed to keep them cleaned, protected, and lubricated. When I owned tighter-fitting guns (like a CZ 75), I used grease on the slide rails. I don't bother with that on the M&P or Kel-tec...they're more or less like Glocks in that regard -- it really doesn't matter how you maintain them: they always shoot.

On my rifles and shotguns, I generally use Hoppes Elite solvent to clean, then some gun oil or grease in certain areas to lubricate. I will usually, however, run a Ballistol-lubed patch down the bore to keep it protected.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Hickok45 has claimed in numerous videos that it bonds to metal, like a seasoned coating on a skillet or something.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hickok and all. But with all due respect he's no more of a lubrication "expert", than he is a chef. Granted a gun is not that difficult of a piece of machinery to keep lubricated. That said there are far better products to do it with than Ballistol. It, (Ballistol), is not a boundary lubricant.

Stinks so bad I won't use. Spray can been sitting out in my shed for several
years. Nothing like Simple Green which has a slight minty smell. More like
cat urine!

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Hickok45 has claimed in numerous videos that it bonds to metal, like a seasoned coating on a skillet or something.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hickok and all. But with all due respect he's no more of a lubrication "expert", than he is a chef. Granted a gun is not that difficult of a piece of machinery to keep lubricated. That said there are far better products to do it with than Ballistol. It, (Ballistol), is not a boundary lubricant.

I agree with you. You didn't quote my second and third sentences:

"It does feel that way after application, but I'm not sure there's a physical process happening, there. It's probably just the Ballistol filling in the small pits of the metal and remaining there after the excess is wiped off."

A Ballistol'd gun feels slick after application, but I don't think it's because it has "bonded" to the metal or anything.

I don't personally regard Ballisol any differently than any other single-can product that's supposed to "do it all". I think there are certain situations where it works fine, and there are situations where I don't use it. My wife hates the smell, so I use it out in the garage. Next time I buy a one-can CLP, I'll probably buy one that doesn't smell so strong.

I just use Hoppes #9 in the barrel and G96 spray and synthetic gun oil everywhere else. On the semi auto guns I use some Tw25 grease on the sliding parts. G96 spray on the outside prevents any rusting for years.

What does the stuff smell like ?

A used one of the wipes in the green packet and it was very strong.....despite being outside and using gloves and glasses. I suggest a dustmask or some kind of breathing apparatus.

I dont know if it is similar to the other non-wipe products.

It did give the items a wet, slick look- so it appears to do some good.

Hey, how is that G96? I looked at some and emailed some Qs to the company and havent received a response.

I love ballistol-it's my main gun cleaner/lubricant.

And, yes, Hickok45 was where I learned about it. They should put him on the payroll.

I do notice that lead fouling cleans up a lot easier.

I think in general all of the gun lubes are designed to separate you from your money.

I have not used ballistol and it might be a fine product. But I doubt that it is better than Hoppes#9 solvent at cleaning the barrel and breech.

And there is no wa can be superior to say 50/50 Mobil1 Gear lube/ATF

If I am wrong, I am willing to bet my shoties, LCP, Shield, and 43 will still outlive me.

1_IMG_3325.JPG

Originally Posted By: billt460
Also, mineral oil does not, "bond to metal".

Actually, for all intents and purposes, if Ballistol is all you use on a firearm, it does. As long as you don't use a solvent to wipe it off.

Originally Posted By: Al
I think in general all of the gun lubes are designed to separate you from your money.

I have not used ballistol and it might be a fine product. But I doubt that it is better than Hoppes#9 solvent at cleaning the barrel and breech.

And there is no wa can be superior to say 50/50 Mobil1 Gear lube/ATF

If I am wrong, I am willing to bet my shoties, LCP, Shield, and 43 will still outlive me.

1_IMG_3325.JPG

Now you wanna talk about something that STINKS - gear lube stinks horribly. No way I'd use that stuff.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Now you wanna talk about something that STINKS - gear lube stinks horribly. No way I'd use that stuff.

lol....

Never tried ballistol. I have always used Slip-2000 with great success. I just put a drop on each contact point recommended in the manual of whatever gun I'm using. Never noticed any abnormal wear either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back