Havoline Pro DS Full Synthetic 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Havoline is a Chevron-Oronite product, good reputation, use it with a lot of confidence. It's dexos1 rated, so its better than plain old SN GF-5 conventional oil.

Isn't Havoline formerly Texaco, and discontinued?

I know Chevron bought Texaco some time ago. Texaco is all the way phased out now, except for maybe a handful of stations that may say that lol..

That is a great price for any synthetic in easy-to-pour quart bottles, and Havoline synthetic is quality oil
smile.gif

Like others have stated... Havoline Pro DS I'd a very solid oil. It ran well in my car in both synthetic and group 2 conventional. $4 a qt is a very good deal indeed. Only question I have is is it HTO-06 approved?? May well be but I'm curious. Going to check that now. Just checked and Havoline Pro DS 5w30 does have the HTO-06 approval. So, not just Dexos approved but that too. Pretty all right
smile.gif

Last edited:
Chevron bought Texaco years ago, and has continued to sell and market the Havoline brand name oils. Its available at walmart.com, some walmart stores, autozone, pepBoys, etc.

Very good sleeper oil but $4.19 is a good but not excellent price (you can find it in the $3-4 at times with additonal mail-in-rebates). While it will not challenge some of the M1EP and PU stats, the cost/benefit is very good.

I have about 40qt hoarded in my basement.

Chevron and Texaco merged 15 years ago. They have since dropped the Texaco name but is still technically a "brand" under Chevron. Some of the older Texaco Brands such as Havoline were continued as they had value as a known entity in established markets.

Yes, it meets HTO-06. Havoline/Chevron tends to be better than most oils about giving you their specs. Look around here. https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/HomePage.aspx

here is the PRO DS product sheet
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=415937&docFormat=PDF

Here is their claims on the website

Quote:

Havoline ProDS™ Full Synthetic Motor Oils SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 meet or exceed:

API Service Categories
SN and all previous API "S" Categories
Resource Conserving for API SN
ILSAC GF-5
manufacturer's specifications
Chrysler Group LLC MS-6395
FIAT 9.55535-CR-1 (SAE 5W-30)
Ford
WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 0W-20, 5W-20)
WSS-M2C946-A (SAE 5W-30)
WSS-M2C947-A (SAE 0W-20)
General Motors
GM4718M (SAE 5W-30, 10W-30)
GM6094M
GM dexos1® Licensed (SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30)
Honda HTO-06 (SAE 5W-30)

Havoline ProDS™ Full Synthetic Motor Oil Euro SAE 5W-40 meet or exceed:

API Service Categories
SN and all previous API "S" Categories
Resource Conserving for API SN
ACEA C3-12
Manufacturer's specifications
BMW Longlife-04*
Daimler MB 229.51*
GM dexos2® Licensed
Porsche A40
Volkswagen 502 00, 505 01
* Please refer to the Product Data Sheet for a complete description of features, benefits, and specifications. Use of this oil in BMW and Mercedes Benz gasoline engines is restricted to the European Union where gasoline quality is considered by BMW and Daimler to be suitable for extended oil service. Refer to vehicle owners manuals.

What I find interesting is that fact that, if you look up the Havoline CONVENTIONAL 5W20, the flash point is listed at 226C (439F). The 5W30 is listed at 230C (446F). That is more than most PAO based 20 wt motor oils.

Someone please explain how that can be? I thought PAO based oils, like Mobil 1 0W20 Extended Performance, had flash points in that range.

Maybe, Chevron is "dumping" excess PAO in their conventional motor oil. (Like Pennzoil was reported to be dumping excess GTL in their Pennzoil Yellow bottle to achieve unbelievable NOACK ratings). What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back