2011-2013 KIA Sorento thoughts or concerns ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty basic..

We are considering adding a Sorento to our fleet. We have been pricing and looking around for a while.

We are looking at the AWD, V6 mostly around 75-85Kmi. I am just not a 4cyl fan but I would be interested to know how the direct injected 4cyl acts in these.

I know that they are made in the US and use hyundai V6 engines, I cannot seem to find ANYTHING bad about them other then startup noise that may or may not lead to future issues.

It seems as though these are VERY safe vehicles and overall reliable. I cant find a whole lot of UOA's on them either so any thoughts on what is showing better then average numbers in that department would be appreciated also, on that note the few I reviewed seemed to gear toward QS products and stick with OE KIA filters....

Any thoughts from you fine folks on what to stay away from or what specific issues to look for or you positive experience (but lets face it I'm looking for the negative, the positives seem to be overwhelming
crazy.gif
) ??

=

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
With 75 to 85,000 miles on them, I believe you'll still be under the 100 K warranty for 15 to 25K .

Second hand Hyundai/KIA - it changes to 5 years or 60,000 miles of powertrain coverage.

From the 2012 warranty document, powertrain warranty is 100k for the 1st owner only.

link to google for pdf of manual

1 Original owner 120 Months/100,000 Miles Second and Subsequent Owner(s) 60 Months/60,000 Miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwin17LA1MjKAhWHxIMKHfw2AEwQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kia.com%2Fus%2Fk3%2Fcontent%2Fmedia%2Fall%2Fwarranty%2F2012_warranty.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFFDBcVRhuzrMUdwCtpXGTCcMNSgg&sig2=MynpmpKl6-pqn12f9W_mBw

Whoo. Let's fix that URL so it's actually clickable and is minus all that Google tracking stuff.
www.kia.com/us/k3/content/media/all/warranty/2012_warranty.pdf
Now that's better.

Last edited:
the dealership told us that the 100k mi warranty would still carry over to us.

If it does or does not, we are still buying an extra warranty.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
the dealership told us that the 100k mi warranty would still carry over to us.

If it does or does not, we are still buying an extra warranty.

thats good that you are getting the extra warranty, but like most dealerships they will say anything to get your money. its in black and white in that document.

I actually just went through this with our Explorer last year, the guy told "WE WILL FIX ANYTHING THAT BREAKS !!! PERIOD (outside of belts,thermostats,tires,pint, etc.) WITHIN 100Kmi AND YOU HAVE A ZERO DEDUCTIBLE WARRANTY"

What do ya know a door handle breaks that first winter... She takes it in, they fix it and come out with a $120 bill ! she calls me at work I told her to have them call me for payment and leave....

They called and I refused based on the terms of the sale (a warranty because I do not trust FORD's), I told them I would drag it through court and spend $1,000 based on principle before I paid them the $120 ! The sales manager called me back asked for a copy of my warranty, after provided he apologized and said we will honor becasue you bought the vehicle based on it..

really, Nobody here has any thoughts on the Sorento ??

It seems like there are a ton of them on the road.

I have a 2012 sorento w/ 4 cyl GDI engine. It's been reliable. The driver's seat bun warmer stopped working this winter but I live in Sacramento so it's only a minor annoyance. 65k miles with oil changes around 7k, tires and battery. Tires, I went with H speed rated from the original T. It firms up the ride somewhat. The only annoyance is on rough rodes, the ride is quite rough so I consider the suspension marginal in that respect. No 3rd row seating, so storage in the hidden compartment in back is quite nice. I would consider upgrading to the 2 liter turbo model at some point. The 4 cyl is adequate as I typically don't speed and I can row through the gears manually if I need to boost it merging onto the freeway.

Originally Posted By: ediamiam
I have a 2012 sorento w/ 4 cyl GDI engine. It's been reliable. The driver's seat bun warmer stopped working this winter but I live in Sacramento so it's only a minor annoyance. 65k miles with oil changes around 7k, tires and battery. Tires, I went with H speed rated from the original T. It firms up the ride somewhat. The only annoyance is on rough rodes, the ride is quite rough so I consider the suspension marginal in that respect. No 3rd row seating, so storage in the hidden compartment in back is quite nice. I would consider upgrading to the 2 liter turbo model at some point. The 4 cyl is adequate as I typically don't speed and I can row through the gears manually if I need to boost it merging onto the freeway.

Do you live or drive on mostly flat terrain ?

Will it pull out into highway traffic full of people ?

We have ONLY hills !! LOL

That may sound silly, but I am actually wanting to test drive a 4cyl again and talk myself into it... There are TONS of GOOD deals on the 4cyl in my area. I figured its because people get them then take them back for the 6cyl but that's just a thought. Companies like Mercedes have been doing the direct injection for a while and people say that a DI 4cyl should very snappy... but then I look at 5,000lb weight.

Mostly flat but I have taken it into the Sierras, to Reno, Nv and into Utah. It will downshift to get the RPMs up for better torque. Since I'm not a speeder it doesn't bother me, just stay in the right lane. If you are used to 6 cyl vehicles, probably best to stay with that especially if you hit the hills with regularity. Me, I just use the tranny in manual mode and it works for me. But, nothing beats a test drive for your personal evaluation. Mileage wise, typically about 28ish on the open road. Brand new it was rated at 32 but Kia got busted for overstating the mileage and as part of the settlement I report current miles and get a cash rebate back from Kia. It certainly doesn't get 28 going up the hills.

My wife has a 2011 Sorento. She drives it quite a bit. It has ~120K miles. It's been reliable.

She's been through a couple sets of brakes, but that's how she drives, hard on the brakes.

It's got third row seating and the release to drop the seat back is a weak point. Spray some lube in the hinge areas and exercise the mechanism regularly to keep them working (I think they used a wimpy cable for the release and the latch gets sticky).

Last summer it threw an airbag warning light. It needed a new clockspring under the steering wheel.

In the fall I replaced the lower control arms because the ball joints were clunking.

We just had it in for state inspection. It made it through with no repairs.

No complaints, just noting what we encountered.

good info guys, thank you.

Here is another thing that have to keep in mind as relevant, my experience with 4cyl engines (power) is from at least 10 years ago and the majority of it is from 20yrs ago. I understand now with the DI and variable valve and cam timing the torque curve is a lot lower in the RPM band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back