Penrite HPR10 (10w50) 5442km/3381mi BMW E36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to do a UOA on my 1993 BMW as prior to this sample, I had the VCG leak and the PCV hoses were in bad shape.

I was also curious to see how the Penrite oil was holding up after some longer trips. Seems nothing appears to be amiss. Only trouble I note with the car is lifter tick.

Insolubles may be the result of the crusty/flake [censored] on the underside of the valve cover. I did try to get all of it off with some Kerosene, as it was pretty bad.

And Here's the Thread with Valve-train Pictures.

Thoughts, Opinions on the UOA?

AL5H728-011415_zpsintsh2la.png

Saw this one pop up in my lunchbreak, and couldn't see the pic...looked forward to it and its great.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Saw this one pop up in my lunchbreak, and couldn't see the pic...looked forward to it and its great.

Seems to show up fine for me, maybe Photobucket is banned at your work?

I was surprised to see this oil was on the thicker end of the 50 scale - more of a 10w60 than a 10w50 (the oil was originally about 18cSt @ 100ºC when new, according to Penrite). Seems like a lot of shear for an oil with BMW approval.

The M52 engine is a slightly different design to the M50 - but I imagine things are pretty similar. Its good there isn't anything untoward on this interval.

Thanks for testing and posting B320i, I missed it the first time, but I'm happy to see the Penrite HPR tested. I've often looked at this synthetic oil, and used the mineral HPR a lot in the old days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Canadastang
What's with you aussies and your super thick oil?

Good UOA however.

Don't ask me. Given a choice this stuff would not be in the car - its the product my Indy uses, and in terms of viscosity isn't that far removed from running 20w50 as many in the BMW world do.

My feeling is the thicker oils result from years and years worth of constant peddling and what I consider misinformation from two reasonably prominent oil manufacturers.

It certainly isn't the worst oil in the world and it is nice they (Penrite) do actively promote Zinc content and even the presence of Group IV/V synthetic base-stocks in their oils (for better or worse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back