Purolator PL14612 - 5154mi - CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
The small 14612 Purolators and FRAM 6607's are all built like tanks with a lot of filtration stuffed inside the little cans.

I've never seen any problems with the L14612 or PL14612 on my son's Mazda.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Nice Va tags !!! I got them too.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: car51
Made June 10, 2015 2nd shift. Looks good

Yep, pretty new build. OP, does it have a center tube with holes or slits? If it has slits, then it might also have the updated media.

What evidence do we have that Purolator has thickened or updated media now?
Statements from Puro? Is it just your observations?

^^^ Purolator never makes any statements about anything. People have commented that the new Purolator "ONE" (which replaces the PureOne) had media that looks visually different.

^^^ Purolator never makes any statements about anything. People have commented that the new Purolator "ONE" (which replaces the PureOne) had media that looks visually different.

Puro ONE did have one marketing statement from Purolator on their website, as I pointed out in a previous discussion here:

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Is "re-engineered" the closest we will ever see to a public admission of guilt for past tearing oil filter media from Puro?
dhlKpUp.jpg

New marketing slogan from Puro: "We maybe don't fall apart anymore!" confidence builder

I was hoping for some info on whether the new version is thicker on the Purolator ONE. Also, nothing known on the Purolator Classic changes?

Last edited:
That last " marketing statement" is really strange.

"Wear-resistant metal end caps and center tube"
crazy.gif

That last " marketing statement" is really strange. "Wear-resistant metal end caps and center tube"
crazy.gif

You know it's a slam against Fram's cardboard end caps, and E-core's plastic (fragile??) center tubes, thats all. I actually prefer metal stuff in there myself, although if the cardboard/plastic parts are thick enough, they should be fine too.

That last " marketing statement" is really strange.

"Wear-resistant metal end caps and center tube"
crazy.gif

Playing to the ignorance of the masses.

Originally Posted By: flatlander757
This was run for 5154mi from 10/16/15 to 1/1/16 in my 2011 Mazda2.

It gets autocrossed(this had 3 events on it) and driven ~100mi daily all highway.

It sees 4500+ RPM regularly when merging and redline when autocrossing of course.

It's a PureOne filter. There was no tearing, and the media was not easy to tear or separate at all.

It was replaced with a Fram TG7317 which is taller than the 6607 that cross references with the PL14610 I cut open.

Very nice cut & post.

This the the only real way to see if Purolator has really solved the issues with the filters they make.

The first filter I cut was a Motorcraft FL-820S and it had a tear.

I have cut 2 more since then with short OCI to clean up an engine. Both have collapsing filter media near the splice.

Thanks again.

seems all those previously damaged purolators were a Framiterization with what IMO I saw as thumb ripped adbv and pushed in media. Funny how Ultra came out on top after the OCD was discovered.

^^^ LoL, "thumb ripped adbv and pushed in media" ... it's a conspiracy.

Originally Posted By: PE400
seems all those previously damaged purolators were a Framiterization with what IMO I saw as thumb ripped adbv and pushed in media. Funny how Ultra came out on top after the OCD was discovered.

^^^^^

Now I like this guy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back