G-05

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are sold out of Valvoline Zerex G-05 at the moment. H a customer looking for antifreeze for a Ford. I always ask if it's "Orange or Green" (Dex-Cool or regular E.G.) I then directed him to the Preston Extended Life "All Makes, All Models."

Will Preston "All Makes, All Models" mix?

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
We are sold out of Valvoline Zerex G-05 at the moment. H a customer looking for antifreeze for a Ford. I always ask if it's "Orange or Green" (Dex-Cool or regular E.G.) I then directed him to the Preston Extended Life "All Makes, All Models."

You ask "green or orange" for a FORD? The correct question is "yellow, green, or orange," and its only a valid question for stock coolants since in the aftermarket coolant color doesn't mean anything at all.

Your recommendation was not the best idea for a vehicle that requires G-05. Prestone AM/AM has 2-EHA.

I always ask if it's "Orange or Green" (Dex-Cool or regular E.G.)

Why do you ask if it's orange or green? G-05 is neither, and it's definitely NOT the same as Dexcool. Are you saying you ask that question for all vehicles? 'Cause there's way more than just orange or green. There's yellow, pink, red, blue, purple, etc.

Color means NOTHING. You cannot pick the correct coolant based on color alone. You can have two different coolants that are the exact same color, but they might be completely different chemically. You need to go by the TYPE of coolant and don't pay any attention to the color.

Actually for a Ford it should be green, yellow, dark green, or orange.

Color is everything on Fords. green is generic old green, yellow is G05, dark green is Mazda FL22, and orange is DexCool.

^Agree-especially with factory Ford, there is old-style green & FL-22/Mazda style P-HOAT dark green, color doesn't mean a lot. The Prestone AM/AM will mix, but it's not the right chemistry.

Glad I did not come into your store for G-05.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Do not put AMAM coolant in any diesel.

Also even if my Ford diesel called for G05, I would not use it.

Are you referring specifically for diesel apps, or G05 in general?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Do not put AMAM coolant in any diesel.

Also even if my Ford diesel called for G05, I would not use it.

Are you referring specifically for diesel apps, or G05 in general?

Diesel applications. In particular the ones which Ford/Navistar spec'd G05.

I think BD's referring to 6.0/6.4 oil coolers plugging up from G-05/Premium Gold coolant silicate. I can vouch for it working perfectly fine in a Cummins, Mercedes OM617 (300D 3.0 engine)& also in a GM 6.2 with no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I think he's referring to 6.0/6.4 oil coolers plugging up from coolant silicate. I can vouch for it working perfectly fine in a Cummins, Mercedes OM617 (300D 3.0 engine)& also in a GM 6.2 with no issues.

Bingo, although the parts salesperson in me completely approves of the use of G05 in 6.0 and 6.4 diesels, you know, the whole self preservation thing.

I'm glad I don't live anywhere near you GHT.

Well, as I said at the start. Customer asked me for "G-05." Said it a few times.. "G-05." I knew right away that we were sold out of G-05. I know, because, I stock.

So, being the Parts Pro that I am and wanting to make the sale, as encouraged by the atmosphere at the store but not by my pay (I am not commission..) I then asked what color. Since customers really only care about matching color with color. Chemistry be [censored].. If a car has a certain color in it, it's my best move to try to match it. (Remember: the customer is here to save money over a dealer. Or, they don't care about the dealer, and they come here for everything else. Even shops get parts here. Ok.)

So, with my main driver being COLOR, .. this particular customer kept saying "All I know is its G-05, it's for a Ford. I got G-05, I need more." Also "It's for a Ford." So, again, after pointing out we DID NOT HAVE G-05.. I then went to "All Makes, All Models" and went to Prestone.

We carry Pentofrost, (A2, A3, etc, even that has markings as to COLOR, I sold the last Toyota Red last night,) also Peak, BMW OEM, Prestone, CarQuest, CarQuest's twin, and I think we sold out of the Zerex. We even have another one, I think. Might be the Prestone Dex-Cool.. we may have a Dex Clone. Not sure.

I am aware there are more colors than Green and Orange. However, unless a customer specifically says "I have this" then I ask "Green or Orange." Even then, it would come out: "No, it's a Toyota, it's Red." And I would then go to the Pentofrost A3... there is even Blue now. A2.. whatever designation. See what I'm saying?

I also ask what kind of car it is going into. Since, those that pointed it out are correct: There are different colors.

The only one that seems to NOT mix with others is the Dex-Cool.. Otherwise, unless I direct someone to the dealer.. Anything that is not Ethylene Glycol Green.. gets tricky. Since, to make things more fun, the color of the cap does NOT match the color of the AF..

There were two replies of "Being glad they don't live near me" or "Glad they didn't shop at my store." I would encourage you guys to get the parts from your dealer. Can't say I'm thrilled that I can't help you.. But I do come to ask questions, and this knowledge can help me better guide a customer in the future, even if that customer has their head up their [censored], since, ultimately, I do the best to get them what they want. This was the only customer today I was not able to assist, again, because we were sold out of. I wasn't around to see if he bought the AM/AM Prestone.

I went to get two cases of 6, as another guy needed 12 gallons of Peak AF for his shop. We only had one Peak left.. the CarQuest was good enough, and he was happy he saved money over the Peak he wanted. So Mr. G-05 had to decide if his MIXES WITH ANY ANTIFREEZE choice was good enough.. for his Ford.. I didn't puck up on that just heard the question asked.

So, all this considered: How did I do?

A real parts person would have ordered the PROPER coolant to take care of the customer. Don't go by color when mixing brands like that, it will get you into trouble. I can go by color because all I deal with are Fords and each of our 4 coolants have specific colors.

A real parts person would have ordered the PROPER coolant to take care of the customer. Don't go by color when mixing brands like that, it will get you into trouble. I can go by color because all I deal with are Fords and each of our 4 coolants have specific colors.

I hear you, but we deal in generics and universal. I actually DO try to get a customer what they need. Motor Oil is a case in point. I couldn't get a guy his Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40. Had to direct him to his dealer, or Amazon. (He asked for it specifically, told me it went in a 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT8. I focused on the Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 part. Since I couldn't get it, and he was being insistent. He could not be talked in to Mobil 1.)

The education on different colors and other properties here is very helpful.

If I was a dealer parts person, I would absolutely be getting a specific thing for a car for the customer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back