Job interview-What to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The dumbest thing interviewers can say to you imo is "So tell me about yourself". I'm like,"What do you want to know?". Can they be any more ambiguous?

A better response would be, " I'd love to tell you about myself, where would you like me to begin"?

In Florida ! A borat bathing suit, that outta get you something. (probably locked up)

Last edited:
The dumbest thing interviewers can say to you imo is "So tell me about yourself". I'm like,"What do you want to know?". Can they be any more ambiguous?

lol.. That is usually the opportunity to paint a rosy picture of yourself, giving them just enough to be led on to the next question, based on what you say.
smile.gif

And the answer to Question #43 is....

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Brasileno
You generally want to dress how the manager does, or interviewer. Truth.

But most of the time you won't know how they dress until you show up for the interview.

Just to be safe, I'd wear a suit. If it's a desk/office job, being over dressed isn't as bad as being under dressed.

+1 I always recommend a suit. Even if you are overdressed it will show that you care about not only the opportunity but yourself.

I don't disagree but, assuming you went there once before to give your application (which is more often than not your actual interview, the first 5 seconds..) then you saw how big they are on dress, or, if it's not a main priority.

assuming you went there once before to give your application

LOL... pretty sure it's not that kind of job that the OP is talking about. And if it is, then yeah, you most likely don't need a business suit for it.
smile.gif

Was the dress code, "you must...?"

Originally Posted By: opus1
Suit/tie. Period.

I interviewed for a software support position once at a company that prided itself at having a dress code that basically said "Please wear clothes to work". I was probably the only person in the building wearing a suit and tie, but you only make a first impression once.

I recently took a new job. As part of the interview process I had to travel a few hours to corporate HQ and meet with several members of the executive management team. All were dressed business casual. I wore a suit and tie.

When the formal offer came, the hiring manager (he was not at the executive meeting) mentioned that they appreciated that I dressed appropriately. So, not only was it appropriate to wear a suit but it was also significant enough that it was mentioned to another manager not in attendance.

Lesson? Always dress your best on an interview. It matters.

I was born in Somethingtown,MY. Graduated HS in 1999. Blankity College in Doodleville, got my BA. Worked here, there, everywhere. Wife, kids. Employed at Y but looking for X.

If it doesn't come naturally, practice with a friend/ mirror before going in. You want to mentally grasp the outline of your 20 second spiel before your first sentence is done, so you don't fill it up with Uhs and Ums.

assuming you went there once before to give your application

LOL... pretty sure it's not that kind of job that the OP is talking about. And if it is, then yeah, you most likely don't need a business suit for it.
smile.gif

But you should wear one anyways.
smile.gif
(*so they say.. They wear black Docker pants, you do too.)

I'd love to have a real job.

After reading all this I am thinking I am so thankful I am retired.

A suit and tie will always be appropriate. A good, firm handshake (not a dishrag or bone crusher), will let the interviewer know first that you are a confident person.

My .02

Dave

That is the most poorly worded question in the world.
What they want to know is what you can do for their business or organization.

Research the company, and the position you are have applied for. There is nothing worse than interviewing and being asked, " So what do you know about our company(hospital/lab) and you draw a blank.

Personally, I think "tell me about yourself" is probably the most anticipated question, so you can think of that as one the best opportunities to sell yourself if it's done right.

I think the dumbest question is "why do you want to work here?". Ostensibly, that's an opportunity to show you've researched the company and elaborate on how you'd fit in, but it never seems to work out that way. You want the job because it pays well with a stable company that has good training / mobility, company matches the 401k dollar for dollar up to 6%, five miles away, etc., and not formulaic b.s. about how your experience in the field combined with your regurgitated research about the company makes you the better candidate. This is one that comes off as flatulant more often than brilliant.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
You generally want to dress how the manager does, or interviewer. Truth.

But most of the time you won't know how they dress until you show up for the interview.

Just to be safe, I'd wear a suit. If it's a desk/office job, being over dressed isn't as bad as being under dressed.

+1 I always recommend a suit. Even if you are overdressed it will show that you care about not only the opportunity but yourself.

+1.

The determinant IMO is if you wear a matching suit, or khakis and a blazer. More professional/formal go suit, less so can do khakis and blazer. Either can be done with or without a tie again depending upon scenario. But you need enough real Intel to choose no tie, else err on the side of caution. Best bet is tie and suit.

I've interviewed about 20 people at my current job. All but one wore a business suit (men and women). We are business casual at work; I wear jeans almost every day but the expectation is that an interviewee will be wearing a business suit.

How the employees dress has little bearing on how to dress for an interview.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

That is the most poorly worded question in the world.
What they want to know is what you can do for their business or organization.

As an interviewer, let me give you a couple tips. I dislike interviewing people. I don't like asking a bunch of questions so don't make me feel like I asked you a dumb question. I want you to sell me on yourself. I ask open ended questions to get you talking so I can find out more about you. This isn't a police interrogation. Making me pull information out of you lessens your chances for the job. If you can't figure out what I want to know about you during a job interview without me telling you, you're not the right person to work with me.

Dress classy whatever you do.
badf117611002ce4c6df8e18dc278a1d.jpg

But seriously, suit. Even in college when I interviewed for and interviewed candidates for Resident Assistant positions I'd wear a suit, take the time to present yourself well in an interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back