Can you trust the oil container labels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I once read here on the forum that a good oil will always be specified by Mercedes Benz, for instance MB229.3. In this Link you can find all the oils approved by Mercedes Benz:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html

To me it basically means that I dont have to go for the premium brands every time - I can just choose an inexpensive oil as long as its on the list.

But what if I am looking at an oil in the store which isn't on the list, but the label says it DOES fulfill MB229.1 or any other of the MB.xxx.x qualities? Can I trust the label? What is your opinion?

Lucas

In my opinion if an oil meets the minimum spec it's as good as any other oil meeting the same spec. I would trust the labels from every major manufacturer selling oil in North America. Obscure brands not so much.

Look for the ILSAC symbol. Certain specs, like MB have many specific variations in the two digits after that decimal, and higher is not better, but different.

Outside the US, it can be more tricky. There are brands here who print that they are MB licensed, but are not licensed in the country they are importing from. They use different base oils and additives, yet because one of their plants is licensed, they want you to assume all are. You have to look on the MB site or look for the certification letter if you want.

The important is the wording whether meet or certified, a lot of time when it does not say it is certified, sometimes the standard they meet is the obsolete one. It may not be a problem for MB spec but it makes a difference for API or ACEA rating.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
In my opinion if an oil meets the minimum spec it's as good as any other oil meeting the same spec. I would trust the labels from every major manufacturer selling oil in North America. Obscure brands not so much.

I would trust name brands that claim they meet whatever spec besides supertech. Their mercon V ATF is listed to be compatible with Honda Z-1. I installed it and achieved a slip in second gear from 12-14mph. This was in a 2010 civic. Switched to castrol and problem went away. I do not trust supertech now, lol

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
If you drive a Toyota, ypu should be looking at oils that are approved by Toyota, not Mercedes-Benz.

So far I have never been able to find a Toyota approval of any oil here in Denmark. They only spec SAE, ACEA, MB and VW. Maybe sometimes MAN for trucks. If MB has appproved it, it cannot be THAT bad was my reasoning.

All my cars are +25 years old and none have turbochargers. This is why cheap oils might be interesting to me: I basically dont need all the new specs. I think all the top brands only carry the very newest specs - which is overkill ... right.

Lucas

Last edited:
LucasDK,
there are no "Toyota" specified oils.

If you go to a dealer, you can buy "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil", in Australia in 0W20, 5W30, 10W30, 15W40, and 20W50...they aren't made by Toyota, they are made by outside contractors, and put in Toyota bottles.

And they typically meet the pretty basic specs of the API, rather than ACEA and the others.

The Japanese OEMs have a mantra not to use diesel engine oils better than API CF-4 (apparently they had issues with CG-4, and recommend avoiding them)...which makes it tricky

And they spec Global DLD-1.

IMO, pick a 15W40 (if you want mineral).

And make it an ACEA A3/B4, and go to bed happy.

What he said
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: LucasDK
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
If you drive a Toyota, ypu should be looking at oils that are approved by Toyota, not Mercedes-Benz.

So far I have never been able to find a Toyota approval of any oil here in Denmark. They only spec SAE, ACEA, MB and VW. Maybe sometimes MAN for trucks. If MB has appproved it, it cannot be THAT bad was my reasoning.

All my cars are +25 years old and none have turbochargers. This is why cheap oils might be interesting to me: I basically dont need all the new specs. I think all the top brands only carry the very newest specs - which is overkill ... right.

Lucas

You're reasoning is spot on. It can't be to bad if carries an official MB-approval. Checking the bevo-lists is the right thing to do. If price structure is similar to Germany (oil at gas stations, dealerships, parts stores etc is a complete rip-off) you might want to buy online; my favourite shop oeldepot24.de also ships to Denmark (but charges rather unpleasant 14€ for international shipping), and then there's always reifendirekt alias daekonline.dk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back