Another day of Rallycross with the Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice!

Not as much snow this time of year as there should be. All the snow is gone here in Syracuse
frown.gif

I just put a front auto locker in mine so will never be able to do that now
frown.gif

Looks fun again! I kind of regret not doing some rallycross with my Tracker, but I'm almost 100% sure I would've put it on its side at some point...

Funny enough, this event was just a little north of Syracuse (near Cicero). I definitely chewed up the snow tires a little once it melted down in the afternoon though.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Funny enough, this event was just a little north of Syracuse (near Cicero). I definitely chewed up the snow tires a little once it melted down in the afternoon though.

WHAT!?!? Darn. I always thought they were in Weedsport.

Where near Cicero?

They run a lot of the events down in Weedsport, but this one (and the one at the end of February) are up at the construction site for CNY Raceway Park in Central Square, right on Route 11. The next event is Feb. 28th if you're planning on coming out and watching.

Is watching allowed?

I ask because one of my friends asked about watching a rallycross event in Ithaca and was given a very not-welcome response to just going to watch.

If I am around that weekend I would like to come up and watch. Seems like it would be something fun to watch.

Yeah, there's usually a few people that come out to just watch. Most of the courses I've seen CNY put together end up with a couple good spots you'd be able to sit and watch while being safely out of the way.

And maybe if you're feeling gutsy, you could run the Focus. Heck, the event organizer ran this thing the other day:

12621972_10208666981567164_6265538714151886995_o.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, there's usually a few people that come out to just watch. Most of the courses I've seen CNY put together end up with a couple good spots you'd be able to sit and watch while being safely out of the way.

And maybe if you're feeling gutsy, you could run the Focus. Heck, the event organizer ran this thing the other day:

12621972_10208666981567164_6265538714151886995_o.jpg

The sound of rocks just pelting the underside of an unarmored car is hard to ignore though. Especially fwd... I tear around on my driveway once in a while with the old Neon and its brutal, very fun though, but I couldn't do it to a car that I would be keeping.

That Prius ran its first rallycross 2 weeks off the dealer lot
eek.gif
But yeah, that noise definitely isn't a pleasant one. At least everything that gets the rock hits in the Jeep is either coated or just plastic (no mudflaps on it).

Last edited:
Looks like fun! I'd totally do that with my Camry, I'm sure it wouldn't do it very quick but it would still be fun.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Looks like fun! I'd totally do that with my Camry, I'm sure it wouldn't do it very quick but it would still be fun.

2wd cars are classed separately, so it wouldn't necessarily do badly, given reasonable tires for whatever surface you're on. A lot of it comes down to the driver. For a good bit of the day, a guy in a newer Fiesta was running faster times than I was and a Prius was almost keeping up with me.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

2wd cars are classed separately, so it wouldn't necessarily do badly, given reasonable tires for whatever surface you're on. A lot of it comes down to the driver. For a good bit of the day, a guy in a newer Fiesta was running faster times than I was and a Prius was almost keeping up with me.

Would it happen to be the rallied-out looking Fiesta?

Oh that's not the one I am thinking of. There is one that has cut fenders, light bars and tires that are wayyyyyyy too big for a Fiesta.

Woah - someone had an Olds Acheiva.

Oh I so want to do this.. never heard of anything around these parts. Someday need to get gutsy enough to take the Focus to a autocross. Don't think I'd be the worst newbie at least.

Looks like a fast course! You should include some of the steering wheel in your shot so we can see how hard you are trying and oversteer and understeer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back