Is America prepared for the Zika virus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We better be, since were importing millions of people from areas where it's spreading totally without any degree of health or background screening.

Sounds like another Ebola...a lot of panic and silly reactions that have nothing to do with reality and scientific fact.

So many people go to the doctors for everything in the United States and parents take their kids for every scratch. I have to wonder if people have the natural resilance and imune system like we had as kids and with that said now that ALOT of people are older they run to the doctors non- stop now and take every antibiotic they can get their hands on.

Yes, mosquito control is a lot better here, and the mosquito that carries it can only live in he southernmost parts of the United States anyway. The mosquito is the same one that transmits other mosquito born illnesses like Dengue fever and you don't see huge outbreaks of that here. Also, even if pregnant women get infected it is far from certain their baby will have microcephaly.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have to wonder if people have the natural resilance and imune system like we had as kids and with that said now that ALOT of people are older they run to the doctors non- stop now and take every antibiotic they can get their hands on.

This is a virus, antibiotics will not help.

I get your point though.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
So many people go to the doctors for everything in the United States and parents take their kids for every scratch. I have to wonder if people have the natural resilance and imune system like we had as kids and with that said now that ALOT of people are older they run to the doctors non- stop now and take every antibiotic they can get their hands on.

Not sure how old you are, but when my parents were kids, they had to worry about polio and TB. My father claimed that he went deaf in one ear from a case of scarlet fever. Go back a little further and there was smallpox and plague.
Mostly, the good old days...weren't. Natural resilience wasn't keeping kids from getting polio and being crippled.

It wasn't prepared enough when the millions of native Americans living in what is now America, for about 13,000 years, were confronted with Europeans and their diseases never seen here before. Let's see, 13,000 successful years of Native American societies, compared to about 300 years so far by European Americans. Got 12,700 years to catch up.

This virus is mostly dangerous to pregnant women and elderly people or people who are immune depressed.

Originally Posted By: Doog
This virus is mostly dangerous to pregnant women and elderly people or people who are immune depressed.

It's not that it's that dangerous to the pregnant women, but rather their unborn child. Imagine the cost (not just in dollars) of having a generation of children with smaller craniums, and all the possibilities of what that entails. THERE is the real risk of this disease.

edit: and no, the US is not prepared.

Last edited:
Don't Believe The Hype.

Pharmaceutical companies are nowhere near wealthy enough. They need more money. Maybe a Bailout/stimulus. It's super urgent. And the media fuels it all.. how many advertisements have you seen for Provasic? Or whatever med. Catch my drift?

We really are the dumbest people on the planet sometimes.

Because that is what is in the OP's post. If you want less mosquito virus, fund and expand the CDC, because no matter what you think is an answer, you aren't stopping all flights or building walls high enough. Either want more services and get more, but if want less, you get less, can't have it both ways. Thank God we do have government funded research, facilities, and things like the CDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back