Mitsubishi plant in Normal, IL build 200 and Dart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if the two models that Chrysler has now decided to
axe might be a good fit for the former Diamond Star Motors plant
in Normal, IL?

Mitsu desperately needs car product for the USA, and these two models are actually still pretty new, especially the 200.

Considering that the plant needs production and that Chrysler wants to use all its production to focus on big gas guzzlers it might be a good fit, perhaps Mitsu and Chrysler could both sell versions of them?

I honestly like the new 200, it's a very good car in its segment if not the best, its competitive, and the Dart now that the bugs have been worked out is also a very nice car, that with a few updates could still be competitive.

I do like the 200 and Dart, and you bring up a very good point that Mitsubishi is in desperate need of product. I believe they have discontinued the Lancer, and the Galant was cancelled some time ago so they are desperately in need of a compact and midsize vehicle in their lineup. Considering the previous relationship with Chrysler, this could be a good match.

Personally I think FCA is going to move towards Alfa Romeo for small cars. A lot of people won't consider a Dodge or Chrysler in the small/mid car segment (unfairly IMO) and the Alfa designs could pull a younger crowd from VW and Mazda. Seems like a fresh start and a good idea to me.

Their biggest mistake imo was to discontinue the Eclipse. When they were being made,you'd literally see them everywhere. Very popular cars.

Mitsubishi can make anything at any quality level they choose. It appears that they are just not taking the US market seriously.

They are having great sales too. I see Mirages, Outlanders and RVRs almost everywhere.

Seems like if they could get a Compact and Midsize back, they could do even better.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Personally I think FCA is going to move towards Alfa Romeo for small cars. A lot of people won't consider a Dodge or Chrysler in the small/mid car segment (unfairly IMO) and the Alfa designs could pull a younger crowd from VW and Mazda. Seems like a fresh start and a good idea to me.

Actually, the truth is the Dodge Dart (& Jeep Cherokee & 200) are slightly modified versions of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta right now.

I do like the idea of Mitsubishi taking that design and producing it. They should definitely fix some of the expert analyst's concerns to make the car competitive, it can be fixed.

it would be far cheaper to build a factory and produce in Mexico or South America then do it in the US. This is really is not a viable in the USA for a model that does not turn much profit for fca.

What would make sense to me is for Mitsu to produce those two cars under license for FCA, much the way AMC used to build Diplomats and Gran Furies for Chrysler.

Chrysler needs the line space currently occupied by the 200/Dart to produce more in-demand vehicles like Jeeps and trucks. Its not that the 200 (particularly) isn't *selling*, its in fact outselling several other cars in that segment. But its not doing well when compared to a Jeep Cherokee, or Grand Cherokee. Leasing some line space to keep it in production, while freeing up the Chrysler-owned line for the higher demand vehicles definitely seems like a win/win. But maybe the cost of change-over is just too prohibitive.

Both Chrysler and Mitsubishi are very stigmatized by the concept that neither one can build a midsize car that's worth a hoot. "Mitsubishis all spew blue smoke" and "Dodge hasn't built a decent small car since the Neon" are common ideas, and, until the Dart anyway, both were very TRUE. The Dart didn't knock down the barriers like it was expected to, possibly because we never got the AWD Dart R/T variant everyone hoped for. And Mitsu... well, they still just can't build an engine that keeps its oil out of the combustion chambers for some reason.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
... Its not that the 200 (particularly) isn't *selling*, its in fact outselling several other cars in that segment. But its not doing well when compared to a Jeep Cherokee, or Grand Cherokee. ...

Could this be because gasoline is cheap for now? I think large and mid-size SUVs are selling very well these days because of low fuel prices.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
"Dodge hasn't built a decent small car since the Neon"

The Neon was a decent car? Maybe the first generation but the 2nd generation suffered from the 41TE and they all suffered from head gaskets blowing all the time.

The dart is 10Xthe car the Neon was.

Galant was a good car when they introduced the last generation ... they just never updated it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Mitsubishi can make anything at any quality level they choose. It appears that they are just not taking the US market seriously.

Correct. The sell in healthy numbers elsewhere in the world. There's nothing inherently wrong with the stuff available here, it just gets lost in a sea of other great cars.

Looks like Dodge will still have cars to sell though.
"FCA dealers would continue to receive midsize and compact sedans to sell after production of the Dart and 200 ends in 2017, a source told Automotive News. But the new models would be manufactured under contract by another as-yet-unidentified automaker."

yes, i understand the Dart is an ALFA Alfetta?, but I don't know how much sporty - ness is left, esp. almost all Darts are automatic, IIRC. If Mitsu could get it cheap it might be worthwile as a replacement, although I doubt they make any money. I would love to see a used Dart that has been upgraded with shocks, etc. to make it close to euro standards, although few would buy them. Saving tooling and design costs would save how much??

Based on the statement from Automotive News above, there is a chance the OP has it right.

Here is the possible scenario: Mitsubishi builds it, and like the old GM-Toyota NUMMI arrangement which gave us Corolla-Nova and Matrix-Vibe cars, the Dart gets built as both a Mitsubishi AND a Dodge, but more completely under control of Mitsu for production.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Normal is a union plant, which effectively limits the options.

Which is why a plant in Mexico for the long-term makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back