Why don't you use Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with @bunnspecial about HP Linux support. I've used Ubuntu since v9.04, presently on v15.10, and I have never had a compatibility problem with HP printers.

I have linux installed on another SSD, but find that it doesn't run many programs of any use to me. Tax software. Quicken. etc. And I'm not going the 'wine' route or anything else like that. Raw windows (10 in my case) works best, and printers, no matter what brand, install well with full features.

Last edited:
The tax software thing is valid, but I can't see tax software being high on a lot of Linux devotees minds. Tax software is one of the biggest scams out there, from a software point of view. Basically, do an incremental update and charge large dollars for it, each and every year.

My accountant does my taxes for cheaper than the price of a software package. What really peeves me lately about Windows is that gaming has gone down the toilet over the past few years.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The tax software thing is valid, but I can't see tax software being high on a lot of Linux devotees minds. Tax software is one of the biggest scams out there, from a software point of view. Basically, do an incremental update and charge large dollars for it, each and every year.

My accountant does my taxes for cheaper than the price of a software package. What really peeves me lately about Windows is that gaming has gone down the toilet over the past few years.

Not sure which tax software is the subject but most will be online only soon enough and then will most likely be OS independent. You can use any of them online now as it is.

That is true. I've never used a lot of online software, so that whole idea escaped me completely.

Yup. I forget about that aspect too. With everything moving cloud/app/browser based, Linux might just have a chance to go mainstream. I guess it already has when you consider how many people already use android and chrome OS.

I have a home theater PC on a NUC platform that runs Ubuntu. Linux seems perfect for that role. It runs Kodi and VLP at least as well as Windows. I also had my ex-wife's parents on Ubuntu. Linux is perfect for those elderly people who aren't computer savvy and tend to clink on every link they see on a spam email.

But I still use Windows for most computing tasks. I use MS Office for work and some other Windows-based applications.

I still prefer to have the software "local," as it were. I guess it's going to take me a while to get used to the change. Of course, I'm not comfortable with the change for all things. I do have a PC and not a dumb terminal for a reason.

I used Ubuntu for about 5 years but needed to abandon ship mostly because Picasa (Wine) was awful, and there was no equivalent and decent Canon software for camera. I hated the slow file management systems too - Explorer for XP is 10x faster and easier to use.

I recently swapped the motherboard in my Dell Poweredge SC1430 server for the equivalent Precision Workstation 490. This gave me a x16 PCIe for graphics.
With the addition of a HD6950 Its now a usable machine. It has twin Xeon 5148LV 2.33GHz dual core processors and 12GB of DDR2 667 FB-DIMM.
I installed Steam and got it to work (it assumes you are using Ubuntu so I had to make some adjustments for Gentoo)
I actually played Borderlands The Prequel, which runs natively, for a bit. It was actually playable, even at 1440p. And of course, since Steam can stream games from my main tower, its no problem to play Windows only games. Debating putting this machine out with the TV for games and movies.

Last edited:
I still prefer to have the software "local," as it were. I guess it's going to take me a while to get used to the change. Of course, I'm not comfortable with the change for all things. I do have a PC and not a dumb terminal for a reason.

I have refused to "jump ship" to Adobe Creative Cloud and Office 365 for this very reason.

Fortunately, Microsoft still makes the "real thing" for those of us who prefer actually owning our software. Unfortunately, they've neglected the Mac users the past few years with Office 2011 being the official current version until a few months ago and lacking a lot of feature parity with the Windows equivalent. I've used some Beta versions of 2016(which is coming in both Windows and Mac versions) and it seems to have decent feature parity. Unfortunately, it requires OS X 10.10 or later, which I stubbornly refuse to use as my main OS.

Adobe has always treated Mac users well with-if anything-the Windows versions sometimes lacking features of their Mac equivalents. They've also always gone the extra mile with architecture optimization-the performance of CS4 even on a relatively slow spec G4 still amazes me. Unfortunately, with CC being the norm, CS6 is where the road ends for me with Adobe.

Most of what I do can be accomplished with OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Heck, I'm proficient on FreeDOS with older versions of WordPerfect. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you get used to the keystrokes.
wink.gif

Most of what I do can be accomplished with OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Heck, I'm proficient on FreeDOS with older versions of WordPerfect. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you get used to the keystrokes.
wink.gif

I've tried to use Open Office and LibreOffice both.

I am more proficient-and thus more efficient-with the MS products, although there again this is a learning curve thing. More importantly, though, in my work environment Office is the standard and I need to be able to seamlessly exchange files(including XML files) with co-workers.

In particular, I am a heavy user of Powerpoint and have found using the Open Office equivalent to be agonizing. I recall one two-week spell where I used OF out of necessity and had to do a presentation in that time. I got my presentation done just fine, but it took me three times as long as it would have taken in Powerpoint(again, learning curve). The big problem, though, came when my boss wanted a copy(standard) and I had to export it to a .ppt file for him. I gave it to him, but ended up having to give it to him again after I'd worked it over in Powerpoint to fix all the things that were "lost in translation" to a .ppt file.

I found Powerpoint and its equivalents to all be agonizing, so I stay away from that.
wink.gif
With me using some Windows stuff at work and mostly Linux at home, running OpenOffice and/or LibreOffice and using their own open formats is pretty helpful.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Fortunately, Microsoft still makes the "real thing" for those of us who prefer actually owning our software.

Microsoft sells you a license to use their intellectual property; you do not own anything.
smirk.gif

If anyone is after actual ownership of, and control over, the software they're using, they'll have to use F/LOSS .

Originally Posted By: StorminNorvin
I am running Ubuntu MATE 14.04.3 LTS until 16.04 LTS comes out in a few months...

I've been using 16.04 for a couple of months now and keep MATE installed as a backup in case something goes awry with Unity in the tumult of rapid development (nothing has so far) and MATE has been unusually stable for a pre-beta release. If you grow impatient, I'd wager you could upgrade now and not run into much trouble.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
[I've been using 16.04 for a couple of months now and keep MATE installed as a backup in case something goes awry with Unity in the tumult of rapid development (nothing has so far) and MATE has been unusually stable for a pre-beta release. If you grow impatient, I'd wager you could upgrade now and not run into much trouble.

I've been debating that especially since I have 4 2 TB hard drives I want to RAID 10 so I have 4 TBs of mirrored storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back