WORK OUT!!! PHYSICAL FITNESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it is now February. One month in to the new year. Winter appears to be over, as after 26.8" of snow (was likely a touch more than that,) it's now in the 50s again. Groundhog Day tomorrow.

Time to implement some of those changes, to make a better me. Not to impress others, or score a girl, or even to make people proud of me, but more for my general health, and for when it's time to get that engine out of the back of my truck..

The first thing I did was give myself ONE Jon of employment, so that I can sleep at night. All the Youtube videos about overcooked meat being equated to over-working out sunk in. That, and I don't feel like a robot, with a vast array of, well, tools. Even though I like my tools. I feel like a human being now. Rest is good. Nightly.

Secondly, I'm re-implementing my commitment to come back off the soda and [censored] food like hot dogs. It was easy for me to do this, but overnights and some 60 or so hour weeks just killed that. Red Bull and various energy drinks, plus free soda, de-railed me. Now, two 35-packs and 5 gallons of H20 never used on my car, I can get back to being oxygenated and hydrated. Three days, and I have consumed about 75% less energy Monster Rockstar etc . Which brings me to step three...

Physical activity. For the last two days, even with snow on the ground, I found a short maybe 12 or so foot section of boardwalk that didn't have snow.. and jogged up and down it,turning back and forth, for about 15 minutes. Both days. And, both days, I had knock-out performances at work. I was commended for being a great New Hire yesterday at our meeting; And I pick up the hours from the hot 23-year-old that got fired for fooling around with the company car. Dumb. Well, bring on the 40 for me....

I also can "jump rope without the rope" (did that just now)
Incorporate holding outstretched 15lb dumbbell into rotating my core back and forth while holding a lunge position..
Do some quick reps with slow movement to maximize the work with said dumbbell, 10lb for my left..
And jog, jog, jog, jog.
Maybe even cut out the energy shakes. MAYBE.

Is this all a good start? Since all I did was describe "cardio"?

Happy Groundhog Day.

Start small. Every bit helps. I found that one does not need fancy gyms or the latest supplements to get in shape. At the end of the day it is up to you to run the miles and move the weight.

I ate bacon soaking the grease on bread and eating that. I can't seem to gain weight, and lost a couple, so I am trying my best.

As for your desire to be fit, jumprope is aawesome. Try to stay off pavement when running, it will oncrease load on your ankles, giving a greater effect for time spent running. I found that most effective work out is when you use your body as weight, not equipment. And whatever you do, it's worth it.

No changes for me. I've been using an elliptical 4 or 5 days a week since 2003. The only change I will make to this routine is when I retire...then, I will be using it EVERY day...

I went on my diet/workout routine last year. while I have gone to the gym 4-5 times a week for the past 20 years I really stepped up the nutrition part. I have lost 32 lbs since October and feel really great. Now I'll give myself another 6-12 months to get in real shape and lose maybe another 5-7 lbs. I am pretty lean now so losing/burning off the last 10 lbs is no easy task.

But to the OP: Make a daily regimen for exercise but pay even closer attention to what you eat. The game is calories in vs calories out. I quit all sugar and junk food snacks. Now I eat mostly veggies and meats and some dairy. No more processed food.

Good luck...keep running.

I'd implement some pushups into the routine. Try to do 25/day. I do 50 at a time since that's the minimum for the police academy. Take a good long walk, about 45 mins or so. Eat healthy with lots of water.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd implement some pushups into the routine. Try to do 25/day. I do 50 at a time since that's the minimum for the police academy.

I wonder how many Cleveland cops could do 50 today....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd implement some pushups into the routine. Try to do 25/day. I do 50 at a time since that's the minimum for the police academy. Take a good long walk, about 45 mins or so. Eat healthy with lots of water.

Oh, I must be in better shape than I thought.. DOING the push-ups is easy, and I can do reps of 20 or 30.. It's finding proper footwear, as the things that keep me from doing more are my toes. Truth. I can do maybe a few reps of those sets..

I have to get to an actual computer to type efficiently, as I have sold mine in a crunch. However: I can skip looking at the TV or other video source (read: YouTube, a fitness instructor, or a gym with someone on the machine I want to use, thus making it a dumb thing) and actually remember what I saw on YouTube (free) and do it. If I don't have clothes on, Cossack lunges are something effective, though they do seem a little weird to get the firm exactly right. You feel it, though, when you do them correctly.

Another tip, for myself: if I did not sweat a little, or feel a little tired, I did not do enough. (Mostly running. Run, jog.. I try to involve my arms when I jog, too.)

Car battery is good weight, it's just hard to hold. Maybe full unopened gallon of water, too.

As to the gainer in third post: I know about that, too. You are on a plateau. Try peanut butter. I'm not a gainer.. I know gainers and "feedees." It is a fetish for getting as big as possible, and encompassed being a foodee, which I am, though I am committed to not putting all of my hard-earned money to just "nothing." I have a car to fix, and bills to pay down. But two jobs was killing me. It seems there always be people that work more than I do, harder than I do. But I need to be smart. Maybe do car work for people. Small jobs..

I could put more, but, I'm making expert use and incorporating relaxation into my hours before work. I aways seem to have more energy and want to run more after I take about an hour break after I jog. Weird?

Oh, and yeti: My magic beans.
smile.gif

35aa48c853f40087d2fa2a9259393fc7.jpg

You may laugh, but.. if I burn that off, (working or working out then it's no harm. Whatever will fill me up, for the time being. Calories in vs out.

And, on that note. Will check out shakes..

I'm 78 this month and got so tired of the tread mill and elliptical machines that I started to do an AQUA AROBICS CLASS. I now prefer someone else to set the drum beat because my will power to self workout has faded. :))

The diet is the big thing. Eat the right foods, at the right time of day, in the right proportions, with the correct mix of other foods. Work towards eating foods that have a nutritional base. If your serious eventually you'll get rid of the soda, processed flours/pasta/breads, dairy milk, sugar, processed meats, etc. That coupled with walking 2 miles a day will work wonders. Some form of 20-40 min of aerobics a couple of times a week too. If you don't know what each food is contributing or removing from your diet, no better time to learn than today.

A buddy of mine is a fitness nut. He's a gym teacher, went to school for nutrition, lives at the gym, etc.

He eats 7 meals a day. With that said, all of them are smaller meals. He says that it is better to eat smaller meals more often (not eating all the time obviously) than eating big meals less frequently. Eating smaller meals a few times a day helps keep your metabolism going which burns calories. People who eat 1 or 2 meals a day actually gain the most weight, because their body recognizes the less frequent food intake and slows your metabolism down helping you store fat.

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
Physical activity. For the last two days, even with snow on the ground, I found a short maybe 12 or so foot section of boardwalk that didn't have snow.. and jogged up and down it,turning back and forth, for about 15 minutes.

I'm still digging out from that storm. No need to work out otherwise!

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Brasileno
Physical activity. For the last two days, even with snow on the ground, I found a short maybe 12 or so foot section of boardwalk that didn't have snow.. and jogged up and down it,turning back and forth, for about 15 minutes.

I'm still digging out from that storm. No need to work out otherwise!

Wanna hear something funny? .. I drove in the blizzard, and in and out of snow banks, and made smoke shows since my 4WD is not engaging.. minimal/some Trans damage, from all that, sure. Maybe wear is the word I'm looking for. Still 141362 miles on it.. low..

This morning today, pulled into what I thought was a melted snow bank. Smoke show super bad. Like, bad smoke. STUCK. Co-worker rocked the truck from the side, it came out.. didn't have 4th the whole way home..

Changing out a quart of ATF now, letting it cool a little.

I had a feeling that would happen, but I see how bad it was: Little fragments of tire are in the snow bank. Like cookies and creme.

My Reversed Life. I am also full confident the Trans will be fine, once I get this quart in there.

Close calls.. Rugged truck. Will likely have 4WD and some other such little things fixed by summer.

I am 69. I ran for 25+ years then did some biking walking hiking.
The last 4 years I go to the gym every day. Zero sugared drinks, no sweet deserts. More protein fewer carbs.

If you can..I would highly recommend a gym and get some professional instruction. I mostly use the treadmill at 2 mph at a 15% grade for 20 to 30 minutes.

You can keep you metabolism plenty high on 3 meals plus a snack or two in between. A meal is stressful on your body, even a small one. There's some logic to actually trying to keep the number of meals minimized rather than going to 6-7. The answer won't reveal itself until you're well past 55 years old though. Your body needs to take time to repair itself and that includes not having to digest a "meal" every 2 hours. My meals are typically 500-700 calories each. I don't see that as very stressful 3X/day. It's when your meals are in the 1500-3000 calorie range that it takes a lot of effort to remove all that food.

1. Buddy up with someone to workout with, I workout with my daughters.
2. Diet, portion control is big here.
3. Do a little bit early in the morning, that will keep your metabolism high all through the day and you will burn more.
You have to keep doing it. Results will be there if you are consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back