Motorcraft FL820S cut open Date code: 904121217

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the cut open pictures!

All of the ecore filters posted lately are holding up good. Just wish they would decrease the cage spacing just a bit more. I would still use a Fram TG instead of the ecore. That metal tube in the Fram provides more media support, and just makes me feel better about using it over the ecore.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Thanks for all the cut open pictures!

All of the ecore filters posted lately are holding up good. Just wish they would decrease the cage spacing just a bit more. I would still use a Fram TG instead of the ecore. That metal tube in the Fram provides more media support, and just makes me feel better about using it over the ecore.

I am thinking the latest eCore designs are balancing the cage open area with the media strength. Even if that means giving up some filtration efficiency. The metal core would keep large chunks of media from circulating in case of a coolant leak. The Fram TG also separates the ADBV and bypass valve function. Those two alone add some robustness to the design. If I used all the filters in my stash with 3000 mile OCI, I have 4 years worth.

I am thinking about cutting unused Champion Labs PH820, old design PF1250, new design PF1250, old PureOne, new PureOne, Motorcraft FL820S, Wix 51372, CarQuest R85372, STP S2 and Parts Plus PH820. Just for completeness and availability the Fram TG2. Then make a decision on what to run on the Ranger until it dies.

I think this plan would give something back to the community, weed out the lesser designs and give me a more managed inventory.

It's a shame these FL-820S are tearing .
All the FL-910S/FL-400S that I've used for at least 5k , have held up and have not had any tears.

This is the only oil filter I've ever used on my Explorer. All the 820S's I've cut open over the years, I never had one tear. I had a used one sitting around from last April that I just cut open this evening and it was fine. The date code was 901271527 and it had even pleats and 8 inlet holes for the bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
And besides they played it like they never heard of the tearing issues, and it was all made up on the internet...
that's what I was trying to say earlier.

We've used FL820S on our Crown Vic,which currently has over 300,000 miles with no issues for the past 9 years.

The oil changes have been between 7500-8500 miles as well.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
The date code was 901271527 and it had even pleats and 8 inlet holes for the bypass valve.

Purolator has long ago forgotten how to make even pleats. I suggested some time ago that they organize a field trip to China. Some sweatshop labourers might be able to provide them some insight and training.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
We've used FL820S on our Crown Vic,which currently has over 300,000 miles with no issues for the past 9 years.

The V8 is a different application than the V6. Ford re-specified the viscosity for most of their engines to 5W20. The 4.0L V6 stayed with a 5W30. Given the V8 develops more horsepower and torque at a lower RPM than the V6, I would imagine the V8 is easier on the oil and filter. Maybe someone that knows both engines will comment.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
The date code was 901271527 and it had even pleats and 8 inlet holes for the bypass valve.

Purolator has long ago forgotten how to make even pleats. I suggested some time ago that they organize a field trip to China. Some sweatshop labourers might be able to provide them some insight and training.

I think more even pleat spacing and a wee bit stronger media would fix this issue. Since Purolator does not seem to care about their customers, I will look elsewhere as many of BITOG users have.

Years ago my dad went to his bank and asked them if they would change when they reconciled his statement so he could get it earlier in the month. The one in charge said there was nothing they could do. Dad replied he could fix it. They said he could do nothing about it. He said just watch me. He took his banking elsewhere.😄😄😄

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
The V8 is a different application than the V6. Ford re-specified the viscosity for most of their engines to 5W20. The 4.0L V6 stayed with a 5W30. Given the V8 develops more horsepower and torque at a lower RPM than the V6, I would imagine the V8 is easier on the oil and filter. Maybe someone that knows both engines will comment.

Lately, Ford basically specifies 5W-20 for all their NA engines, and spec 5W-30 for their Ecoboost engines (turbos).

I think more even pleat spacing and a wee bit stronger media would fix this issue.

Exactly. Even pleat spacing is something they were able to do before. Now, it's a struggle? Did someone supervising production get dropped on his head or something? What changed?

Whatever changed likely occurred after Mann-Hummel began to acquire Purolator. Acquisition was fully completed on 3/27/2013. It could have been simple retirements of key people on the lines. They lost the recipe so to speak.

I was thinking the same thing. That my 5.0 might be easier on the oil and filter because it's lower rpm BUT it's all cast iron though.

Man...i have like three or four of these 820s sitting around waiting to be used,but postings like this really make me uneasy...lol [censored] purolator

Originally Posted By: Shellguy
Man...i have like three or four of these 820s sitting around waiting to be used,but postings like this really make me uneasy...lol [censored] purolator

Check the date codes on your filters. There was a change in the number of bypass inlet holes from 4 to 8. We do know from the date codes presented here that filters after date code 906241527 will have 8 holes. I did not see any tears on later filters with short OCIs. The pleats near the splice were just beginning to flatten out on short OCI.

I have 3 filters to decide on. I think they will go 3000 miles on 5W30 in the 4L. If your sig line is correct you are using 5W20 which would help by putting less stress on the media.

I honestly wouldn't sweat it,use them.

I honestly wouldn't sweat it,use them.

I have already started to look for something better. Engines are expensive, filters are cheap.

I just cut open two FL500s filter and they looked OK. Still kinda wide spacing at the joint. In any event the truck has a Wix filter now.

Crazy. I've always used the 820s on the Mustang. After seeing those pictures I'm thinking of switching to WIX when I fire it up in the spring.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Crazy. I've always used the 820s on the Mustang. After seeing those pictures I'm thinking of switching to WIX when I fire it up in the spring.

For all that I know, this problem may be fixed. I just do not have the proof.

The weather here is more mild than what you have in Manitoba.

Wix would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back