What make of car do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda see a trend here for people to like what they had at a young age. I am surprised car makers haven't caught that and aim sales at students or young people. Snag them and have them brand loyal.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I kinda see a trend here for people to like what they had at a young age. I am surprised car makers haven't caught that and aim sales at students or young people. Snag them and have them brand loyal.

There are entire marques like Scion that's targeted toward young people. Every make, besides luxury makes (eg, Lexus), has models targeted toward under-25 yo drivers. Fiesta, Sonic, Rogue, Versa, Yaris, Soul, Corolla.. on and on. Do you think Kia was targeting 50 year olds with their hamster Soul commericals?

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I've owned, VW, Mitsubishi, Honda, GM, Ford, and Chrysler. I'd have to say they are all the same. You just get used to one kind. Once you have worked on a Ford when you lift the hood on another one, you recognize the EGR valve or the fuel pressure regulator so you become more comfortable with that brand. I always considered Dodge to be cheap but I've had my best luck with them.

I was going to say exactly this. I got comfortable with GM but my Camry is laid out with a very similar mindset. When working on a car you eventually "get" the engineering, where they hide fasteners, how to get their iteration of plastic junk apart without breaking it, etc.

GM has for a while been good at squeezing power and MPG out of their drivetrains. Their 4-speed automatics shift when I'd like them to. I'm sad that their quality seems to have slipped in the mid-2000s. Dumb stuff like metallurgy and fasteners breaking, crummy rustproofing. I inherited a 2002 camry with a stick shift, few gadgets and good visibility and am sad yet again that a 2017 model is worse on all fronts.

I'm increasingly an admirer of Honda vehicles. I've owned three now, and have enjoyed each of them at least as much as any other brand. They strike a good balance for us between extreme comfort and extreme agility. They won't carve a corner as well as some, and they're also not as isolated or numb as others -- sort of a "just right" size/chassis.

The brand I want to like more than any other is Dodge. We've owned a few and had pretty miserable service from them overall. But I really like the looks of the Durango and Ram, two of the vehicle types (large SUV and pickup) that I'm tracking these days.

My taste in brands has changed over time (moving from mostly GM to Honda), but what's changed more than that is the TYPE of vehicle. I used to buy sedans. For a time, I was even into smaller sedans. After a while, however, I found sedans to be rather limiting. They're not as comfortable to me as a taller vehicle, both from the height of the seat off the road and the height of the seat relative to the floor. Taller vehicles like minivans/SUVs/trucks have a more comfortable ingress/egress seat height and also tend to have a more upright seating position. I've also tended to favor anything with an open rear cargo area, whether that's an SUV or a truck. A car's trunk became too limiting for me -- I couldn't carry what I wanted to, when I wanted to do it. We always had to switch vehicles around, and swap car seats, etc. Buying something (it started with the CR-V for me) that allowed me the flexibility to carry anything I ever needed to, when I needed to do it, was transformative.

I moved from the CR-V to the Ridgeline only because I've always wanted to have a Ridgeline and my brother was selling his at the family discount. I may never own a "car" again, and that's probably what surprises me most if I look back over the last 10-20 years from a third person perspective. I never thought I'd say that.

What would I buy today, if I had to replace our MDX? I'd look hard at a 2-3 year old Durango with the 3.6L (try to find one without the 8-speed) or a Tahoe with a non-AFM engine. If I had to replace the Ridgeline? It'd probably be either another 1st generation Ridgeline (up through 2014) or a newer coil-sprung Ram. Like the Durango, probably with a 3.6L and try to find one without the 8-speed.

I rather liked my VW. Low rpm torque, smooth 5 speed manual, solid chassis. Mine was a wagon, which made it quite practical; but if I keep the truck around I'm not sure I'd do another wagon.

Just not interested in anything today. Putting aside FUD about long term reliability, I simply prefer simple controls on the dashboard. Black interiors look good on paper but the last few I sat in felt like caves. Toss in salty NH winters and buying anything new means its a pure "investment" that is expected to rust up and wear out--and how do you get excited about something when up front you know when you want to trade out of it and why?

Honda ownership has been excellent for wife in 1992 Acura Integra GSR, 1995 Civic and 07 MDX especially in 150-200k range.

We enjoy the Subaru turbo cars(WRX and Legacy) but they only offer so-so reliability in my findings at 150k+.

I've owned both cars in my signature since new. I like them both.

I've owned a lot of other cars in my younger days, too many to count.

Some that stand out are

1963 Ferrari Lusso
Caterham 7
1963 VW bus
1958 VW bus 23 window
1967 Datsun 510 wagon wagon
1932 Packard V12
1957 Chevy 4 door wagon
1949 restored VW bug, mechanical brakes
1970 Ford E-300 van
1978 Toyota supercharded MR-2
and many more....

I was quite the Mercedes guy for a decade, but the brand's pricing has moved on into the $trato$phere, both to acquire and to maintain. Aside from the much-loved '86 S-Class, my favorite/best cars have been GMs: two Oldsmobile Cutlass coupes from '91 to '98, then the '03 Buick Park Avenue from '07 to '14, and the '11 Buick Regal since then.

My Buicks have proved to be solid, reliable cars that were and are fun to drive, inexpensive to obtain used or to maintain and feed. So I'd have to say I like Buick.

My swamp Yankee practical nature grudgingly likes Toyotas. My soul likes Jaguars and the Solstice for their lines. MDW loved her series 3 XJ6 AKA the Kitty. I loved it for its DOHC I6

I can't say I'm very loyal to any brand. I've had a Ford, a Volvo, a Toyota, and 2 Subarus. I've also had Kawasaki and Honda motorcycles. I liked all of them and they all had their faults.

If I were looking for a new car today I would probably look at Subaru, Toyota, Honda, Chevy, GMC, Ford, and maybe (this is a big maybe) Jeep.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Been a Honda guy for a long time, but my confidence and loyalty are waning

The top article / forum postings are why my confidence and loyalty are waning. A "stop sale" order on the Motor Trend car of the Year isn't good.

http://www.civicx.com/

Originally Posted By: Olas
I like 74-92 VWs from Germany.

I dream about F40s and 037s

Not many here know what 037 is. I watched them many times on hill climb events. Delta S4 too. Ohh the ungodly sound.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back