Linux Mint 17.3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running Mint 17.3 32 bit. Anyone know what plug in I need for Chromium to get the little video clips to work that people add to their posts here? I get a picture of a puzzle piece saying this plug in is not supported. If I open the thread in Firefox it works. TIA

I don't know how closely Mint is tracking Ubuntu on this one; but Ubuntu recently depreciated the:

pepperflashplugin-nonfree

... package in favour of...:

adobe-flashplugin

... So you could try installing one, then the other via your usual way of installing software. My guess is that the Mint developers only include one in their repositories.

I have the Adobe-Flashplugin. But when I click on the link it points me to DL it. I'll try the other later on after work. Hopefully it works, thanks.

I had a few minutes and installed pepperflashplugin-nonfree. BINGO! It worked! Thanks!!!!!

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Someone posted why you don't use Linux everyday.

This sums it up for me for a front end.

Most Linux distributions have a package manager that represents ONE application from which you can install anything you need. That is exactly what OP did; and that is *way* easier than in Windows or Mac where you have to go to each individual vendor (Adobe.com for Flash, for example) and download .exe installation files (after selecting your OS and version and agreeing to whatever EULA you'd be subject to), then run the installation application.

In Mint all the OP had to do was open the package manager, find Flash and click Install.

The added benefit to using most Linux distro's package managers is that the given application has also been tested on that OS by a developer.

I cannot in any way see how installing software in Linux is anything but a million times easier and more secure. If I am missing something, please elucidate me. Why don't you install Chromium and then the Flash plugin in Windows or Mac and get back to us? I'll open Ubuntu's Software Center, search for Chromium and click Install, then Flash and click Install and not give a second thought to whether it's 64 or 32 bit or whether it'll work with my OS version or anything; and ~2 minutes later I'll start using those applications.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Just install Chrome.

+1: Unless you're an open source fanatic I do not see much reason to use Chromium over Google's Chrome. And if you're cobbling together a quasi-Chrome by installing the Flash and PDF rendering plugins you're tossing the whole "using open source software" thing out the window anyhow.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Just install Chrome.

+1: Unless you're an open source fanatic I do not see much reason to use Chromium over Google's Chrome. And if you're cobbling together a quasi-Chrome by installing the Flash and PDF rendering plugins you're tossing the whole "using open source software" thing out the window anyhow.

32-bit Chrome is soon to be discontinued. No updates after March. So it looks like Chromium is the way to go for those who still on the 32-bit hardware.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: akela
Just install Chrome.

32-bit Chrome is soon to be discontinued. No updates after March. So it looks like Chromium is the way to go for those who still on the 32-bit hardware.

Or opera. Their current offering for Linux is very good and fully developed like Chrome. No outside packages required that I am aware of.

+1 - There was just a rather contentious thread here about Chrome being discontinued for 32 bit and I completely spaced on OP using a 32 bit distro. Oops!
33.gif

It's working like a champ now. Installing Chrome on a 32 bit OS was pointless. Chromium with the plug in uc50ic mentioned did the trick.

It worked well in Firefox, but I like Chromium better.

Originally Posted By: Garak
We just have to get you on a 64-bit computer, next!
wink.gif

When this 32 bit tower dies maybe I'll bounce for a 64 bit tower, or use one of the two 64 bit laptops we have.
wink.gif
I really enjoy this old tower though.........

In fairness, you're not missing much. I don't need anywhere near as recent as a computer as I have, or a 64-bit OS for what I do. It's wonderfully fast for the bit of video rendering I sometimes have to do, but I end up getting more upgrades thanks to SaskPower and their flaky grid than I do out of any real need.

On the other hand, I thought my Pentium D two computers ago was getting a bit dated.
wink.gif

+1 - There was just a rather contentious thread here about Chrome being discontinued for 32 bit and I completely spaced on OP using a 32 bit distro. Oops!
33.gif

Yup, I missed it too, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back