Brands of fuel pumps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have playing/updating my Cobalt, I've pretty much got it down to why my car doesn't have the pep it needs to go sometimes : I have a weak/slowly dying fuel pump. As I have talked to others, seems like a common issue with them too...

So I have been shopping around for a replacement. Lots of brands, but I am normally a OE guy here. But I have also heard (not sure if true) that the AC Delco pumps are not that great either (for the Cobalt/Ion), as they are still the same design that had issues. So, it had me thinking. I was looking at a Bosch branded one, which my dad and some friends have had good luck with. I also nosed around for a recall (on 2006 models), but didn't catch any....

My thoughts?: Just a solid working pump that will hold up in a car that I use now as a beater...it will get all the things it needs-but I'm not going to throw/waste more money than I have to at this point. Kinda sad the pump is going at 70k, but a coworker is now on #3 in her 2007 Cobalt @156k, so I am hoping I do not have to do this too often.....

Don't part swap!!! Verify fuel pressure. You can rent a pressure tester from O'reilly.

Use OEM. Airtex, Bosch, whatever are all junk.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Don't part swap!!! Verify fuel pressure. You can rent a pressure tester from O'reilly.

Use OEM. Airtex, Bosch, whatever are all junk.

Will test...figure it will give me a heads up on where it stands right now...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
you can buy a fuel pressure tester also they are not a lot of money

Under 20 bucks at harbor freight with a coupon.

Do Delco's have a good warranty? If it fits your application, Denso...

Bosch 044
wink.gif

Even if it makes pressure at idle might not under load. Consider a tester with a long enough hose you can tape it to your windscreen.

Are these the pumps with the lifetime filter built in?

If the car has a pressure test port (Schraeder valve) its easy. Checking the OBDII will tell you if the ECM is compensating for high or low fuel pressure.

When I had fuel pump issues in my 1993 Suburban, it just would not start one day. But that was GM issues of that era.

I have a good opinion of Bosch pumps. Airtex quality is inconsistent, sometimes terrible. The one I put in my Accord lasted 30,000 miles. Advance ate it outside of warranty and gave me a Bosch unit (which cost 2x more) as a no charge replacement.

Bosch is mostly a reboxer. Some applications get a real Bosch pump while some get a reboxed airtex or whatever.

Heh heh. If the pump is regulated to 45 psi, Go to a junk yard and buy a Bosch in line pump. They are found in Euro cars from the mid 80s up. Different makes have different hook ups, but its the same ol' pump where it counts. I retired my first 528e with 350 K miles on its original main pump.

Most vehicles have switched to a dingle line ECU controlled fuel pump system in which the ECU determines the fuel pump output based on what it calculates as engine demand. Many problems could "look like" fuel pump pressure.

I also suggest testing fuel pressure. I have seen lots of stories on the internet where they replaced the pump, and it did not fix the problem. I have also seen a lot of stories about the poor quality of replacement fuel pumps. Also, I have never had one go bad and I keep my cars a very long time.

I'm betting the rail pressure is OK. OP Likely have the typical ETHANOL DELIVERY PROBLEMS OF:
CARBONED UP head and valves, preignition and the engine pulling timing.
This snowballing proplem maker can work its way back into the first cat and block things up there,
Most of this starts from, and is due to, stratification of the e10 gasohol into a watery ethanol bottom with low octane fuel on top of it in the UGT of your service station. You get one of those that tank will hurt that motor.

How do I know?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back