What make of car do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
This thread is for you to express what you like, not bash what you don't. Your silence will be deafening!

Most of what I have been owned in my 22 years of driving have been GM/Chrysler. I like how they look, drive, and I have never had any major issues with any I have owned throughout the years. Every GM and Chrysler I have owed I have thoroughly enjoyed and would buy again.

I also like some of what Ford, Honda/Acura, VW/Audi and Hyundai/Kia have to offer along with some of the BMW and Mercedes offerings.

What about you? What do you enjoy and have had a good ownership experience with?

For the past 28 years I've liked the full sized Ford/Mercury/Lincoln/Cadillac sedans. 3 Crown Vics, 1 Grand Marquis, 2 Lincoln Continentals, one 1979 Coupe DeVille.

Best ownership conditions came from buying low mileage, quality vehicles from private parties 55 or older. 2 experiences on these from car dealerships didn't work out.

I've become a Toyota fan-boy, my current and previous Camrys have so far been great. I'm looking to take this one to some high-mileage.

As for trucks, I'm a Chevy guy. I miss my 1996 Silverado.

I've historically enjoyed MB/BMW vehicles, and given some experiences with our Acura, rather critical of them.

But I'm really starting to not stand the attempts at a cross between price point and brand differentiation that the euro makes, especially MB attempt here.

I miss the classic MB, and the classic Toyota.

Right now I think the best falls between various GM offerings, Honda and Subaru.

I'm no fan of Acura. I do like Lexus. Acuras are too similar to the Honda models, while Lexus has some differentiators (throw out the ES though, please).

Don't get me wrong, I nearly bought an E250 diesel when I got my accord. I've loved and still do love that middle ground executive type car. But to be able to buy two Accords and have less concerns related to some of the euro repair stuff was prudent to me. I'd be willing to take a risk in it. Euro car repairs don't scare me per se, but I think it's more like a $30-40k risk than a $60k one.

If MB offered their better cars in less outfitted forms, even if by order only, I think that's all I'd buy.

Honda was top of our list in 2015 because we found the odyssey to be the best of the vans, and everything on it was just set up right. Right enough that I got the accord too. And it's a champ. Camries are couches, the Malibu was long in the tooth as is the fusion. Now that the Malibu is new and looks sharp, it might be tougher. But we were right place right time with our car buys too...

Ive always wanted a CTD Ram. However the fiat Chrysler thing scares me a bit... And I saw a beautiful blue 2500 crew cab Silverado the other day that I'm in love with... But cue the comments about a $60k MB, because I'm sure the Silverado is there too...

I have no love for any particular brand. I like them all. Iv'e owned several brands.

No real issues with any of them except and Audi TT that was a pile.

most fun cars iv'e owned...GST eclipse, Procharged mustang GT, Mazda RX8 R3 edition, Honda S2000, and C5 FRC Corvette.

The ones iv'e enjoyed living with as daily vehicles...Trucks. An 04 F150 Fx4, 2012 Ram CC, Current Silverado Z71.

If we're talking new vehicles, the question is hard to answer, as I'm not sure what I would buy if I was forced to own new.

I have always driven BMW, VW, Audi, Mercedes, and Nissan. Buying used allows me to shop the Golden years of each.

My sig pretty much covers it: old Fords and new Hondas. The old Ford connection passed to me from my dad.

We did own an '83 Camry from new until 2000 which gave great service; in 1983 Accords were priced way over list in my area, making the Camry was a fine second choice.

Parenthetically, I was pleasantly surprised with a week long rental of a new Chevrolet Cruze last October, which reminds me that a 64-67 El Camino is the other bow tie in my top 10 cars I'd own with the room and funds.

Kevin

I might be drawn to technology advances.
I learned to drive stick with my dad's Citroen DS.

But, the Honda Fit has a simplicity to it that's attractive.

I've owned, VW, Mitsubishi, Honda, GM, Ford, and Chrysler. I'd have to say they are all the same. You just get used to one kind. Once you have worked on a Ford when you lift the hood on another one, you recognize the EGR valve or the fuel pressure regulator so you become more comfortable with that brand. I always considered Dodge to be cheap but I've had my best luck with them.
When I look under the hood of a Subaru with that flat four engine, my eyes get crossed and I get confused.

well...like? Or owned...not exactly the same thing...

In no particular order:

1932 Packard
1970 Ford Fairlane
1977 Oldsmobile 98
1981 Mercedes 240D
1985 Pontiac Trans-Am
1985 Volvo 245 Turbo wagon
1990 Toyota 4 Runner
1992 MB 300E
1994 Volvo 850 Wagon
1995 Ford Explorer
2000 Ford Expedition
2002 Volvo V70 wagon
2002 Volvo V70XC AWD wagon
2005 MB S600
2006 Toyota Corolla

So, after those...what do I like? They all had some redeeming quality. Mercedes builds a great car with the ideal balance between performance and luxury. The Packard has no modern peer, except perhaps the S-class. That twin-turbo V-12 S600 has to be driven to be believed.

Volvos have all been practical, reliable and durable, at least for me. Fords have been OK. The Expedition, with a 5.4 and tow package, was a powerful beast that did everything I asked of it...and I asked a lot. Toyota 4 Runner has been with me the longest...and seen the most adventures.

And I wish Oldsmobile was still around...the 98 was my first car...It was running perfectly when I sold it with over 200,000 miles on it...can't beat a V-8 wrapped in tons of steel and chrome with acres of velour on the inside...
lol.gif

Generally I'm a Ford guy, always been a huge fan of the Mustang and F-series. I also am very fond of BMW and Mercedes. I like certain vehicles in the Chrysler line-up, particularly the LX cars.

My heart is with Dodge. I love the Hemi. I have to say that I have had the best luck with Ford. I never gave Chevy the chance though, but I have owned more than of my share of Caddies. I never bought any foreign cars or trucks.

I got hooked on BMWs in 1971 at the age of 14. Since 1983 there has always been at least one in my garage. I'm not as enamored with the brand as I once was, primarily due to the current trend of building cushy sleds to please the "wearers" rather than the drivers. I also like Mazda and Jeep- for Wranglers anyway. I come from a "Ford Family" and I wouldn't mind owning a Mustang GT Perf Pkg, a GT350, or a Focus RS, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back