Permatex Red RTV question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple hours, you'll probably need to support it while it is drying. Clear epoxy might work better

Epoxys really seem to suck now, probably some EPA [censored]. I would use Quick Steel or PIG Putty. I used PIG Putty to re-attach and actual whole mirror that was broken off when a deer hit me. Later I clipped a mailbox and the mirror broke off in a different spot, the PIG putty weld was stronger than the mirror assembly.

I used silicone when some 30 year old glass fell off my MB.

Read the instructions for minimum temp and cure time. For each 8 degrees Celsius below the minimum, double the cure time.

So say it says 1 hr between 15-35C. It's 7C out. Then I'd clamp and cure for 2 hrs.

I'd probably not do it if below 0C was expected during the cure time.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Epoxys really seem to suck now, probably some EPA [censored]. I would use Quick Steel or PIG Putty. I used PIG Putty to re-attach and actual whole mirror that was broken off when a deer hit me. Later I clipped a mailbox and the mirror broke off in a different spot, the PIG putty weld was stronger than the mirror assembly.

Pig putty is amazing stuff. You can seal holes under water with it. My parents lived in a house built in the 1940's where the main sewer pipe (old cast iron) sprung a small leak. The plumber was going to replace the entire pipe for $2900. I stuck a 2" piece of pig putty on the leak and it stopped. That was supposed to be a temporary fix but when they sold the house 5 years ago it was in place for 2 years. The current owners of the house know about it and say it is still fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back